Norwegian Terrorism

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Ornendil

Post by Ornendil »

I'd just like to point out that the "self-defense" thing was a mistranslation. What he actually claimed was "principle of necessity". Most of the arguments made here still apply, though.

I don't see the problem with having a long, thorough trial in this case. Many people want to see his defense torn to shreds (as is happening according to friends who've been at the trial, and the media seems to agree). Having any poor reasoning or weaknesses of his exposed satisfies our lust for revenge, without compromising the process. It's better than bottling up all the anger or taking it out on each other. It's a tough few weeks for a lot of people, but I think it's an effective way to get it out of our system.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, Ornendil. It's great to have your perspective in this discussion.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

:agree:
tenebris lux
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Very much appreciated, Ornendil.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Ornendil wrote:I'd just like to point out that the "self-defense" thing was a mistranslation. What he actually claimed was "principle of necessity". Most of the arguments made here still apply, though.

I don't see the problem with having a long, thorough trial in this case. Many people want to see his defense torn to shreds (as is happening according to friends who've been at the trial, and the media seems to agree). Having any poor reasoning or weaknesses of his exposed satisfies our lust for revenge, without compromising the process. It's better than bottling up all the anger or taking it out on each other. It's a tough few weeks for a lot of people, but I think it's an effective way to get it out of our system.
I would be interested to see how those who have lambasted the Norwegian process respond to Ornendil's Norwegian perspective. Is the Breivik trial a "mockery"? If so, how so?
Perhaps it really would be better to take a step back and recognize that, unlike the baying wolves that are substitutes for justice in purportedly "civilized" societies, Norway actually engages fully in a judicial process. A lesson for the hubristically impaired, perhaps?
tenebris lux