Jesse Ventura

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
vison
Best friends forever

Jesse Ventura

Post by vison »

I was going to post this in Bag End, but I suppose it had better go here.

My nephew arrived yesterday to stay with us for a couple of months while he goes to school. I was reading, so he had control of the Remote Control. He put Piers Morgan on, and Mr. Morgan was interviewing Jesse Ventura.

So, of course, I was inevitably drawn into the madness. My gawd. :shock: MY GAWD. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bizarre though he is, and insane as he appears to be, it was funny that both Derrick and I kept being distracted by his hairdo =:) almost as much as we were gobsmacked by the things he was saying. :help:
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

He's definitely the only ex-wrestler governor of Minnesota who had appeared on the X-Files with Alex Trebek. Just sayin'.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Jesse Ventura isn't insane, he is eccentric.

Eccentricism is deviance from an accepted norm. Look around you. Is this accepted norm REALLY so acceptable?

Perhaps people need to open their minds a little and begin realising that the crazy and weird may well be crazy and weird, but may also contain insightful truths that are ridiculed simply because they challenge the status quo.

And it is a status quo that brought about the financial collapse that continues to rock all our existences... unless we;re bankers, of course. :D
tenebris lux
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

No, he's nuts. :D
Dig deeper.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

vison wrote:No, he's nuts. :D
And Mitt Romney isn't?
tenebris lux
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Ghân-buri-Ghân wrote:
And Mitt Romney isn't?
Well, I didn't say anything about Mitt Romney. And I won't say on this forum why I think HE'S nuts, too. We have to play nice here.
Dig deeper.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

vison wrote:
Ghân-buri-Ghân wrote:
And Mitt Romney isn't?
Well, I didn't say anything about Mitt Romney. And I won't say on this forum why I think HE'S nuts, too. We have to play nice here.
Yet Mitt Romney MAY be a Presidential candidate...

Perhaps, in the end, we're all nuts, only we think our personal nuts is sanity...?

Normality is NOT synonymous with rationality, you know... ;)
tenebris lux
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm not that much of a relativist, actually.

I think Mitt Romney is as loony as Ventura and would be sad and shocked to think he might really be a POTUS candidate. But then, look at the last election. :(
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I am not sure the sane and rational GOP contenders will make it through the primaries, or, if they do, they will do so by appearing sane and rational. Or maybe the noise made by the Tea Party just drowns out the more reasonable sectors of the GOP base. Nevertheless, I've a feeling that the nomination will go to someone who appeals most to the fringier elements, thus setting us up for a rather vile election season but a relatively easy Obama victory. But this is not the thread for such speculations.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

vison wrote:I'm not that much of a relativist, actually.

I think Mitt Romney is as loony as Ventura and would be sad and shocked to think he might really be a POTUS candidate. But then, look at the last election. :(
:rofl:

vison, that is my point, pretty much entirely. Each and every one of us sits in our ivory tower, decrying the madness of Jesse, or Mitt, or Dan, or Barack... because what they say is discordant with what we think. Yet how often do we take the time to really ferret into the foundations of what we hear? We take for granted so much, not least because we have to. Yet experience should surely tell us that we are consistently lied to, whether by the Toronto Star, or the New York Times, or Fox News, CNN, the Guardian...

We believe, generally, what we WANT to believe; those stories that reinforce our perceptions are the stories that resonate. It isn't because they are "true", but simply because they accord with out preconceptions.

Jesse Ventura is a fool. Just like Feste in Twelfth night... :D
tenebris lux
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have to think that video of people actually saying crazy things is fair evidence that they are crazy. Like a fox, maybe, but still crazy. Not a lot of distortion can be applied to flat statements of lunacy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Primula Baggins wrote:I have to think that video of people actually saying crazy things is fair evidence that they are crazy. Like a fox, maybe, but still crazy. Not a lot of distortion can be applied to flat statements of lunacy.
I sort of (heavy qualification...) agree, except I'm never so certain those crazy things are actually as crazy as pretended. Strip away the showmanship, and then compare "like" with "like".

I remember watching Colin Powell holding up a vial of "anthrax" to the UN general assembly, as he detailed Saddam Hussein's mobile laboratories that would produce lethal amounts of WMD. It was ALL fantasy. Isn't fantasy madness? Was Colin Powell crazy?

Because what Colin Powell was pretending WAS lunacy. As for Jesse Ventura... he raises questions, about a multitude of issues that have conveniently been brushed under the carpet. Yes, he's a melodramatic showman, but after three years of his Presidency, I can't think of any greater melodramatic showman than Barack Obama...
tenebris lux
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I've actually been rather disappointed in Obama's general lack of showmanship...
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

yovargas wrote:I've actually been rather disappointed in Obama's general lack of showmanship...
You know, I agree. But I say he achieved the Presidency through vacuous showmanship... "Yes we can!"... and he has governed as a damp squib.
tenebris lux
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yeah...pretty much...
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

I'd say Ventura is very eccentric but not insane. I'd say the mainstream might be insane, and if it is then anyone who is not insane is therefore eccentric.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

He's almost as far down the road as David Icke. I expect that will be next on his resume.
Dig deeper.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

vison wrote:He's almost as far down the road as David Icke. I expect that will be next on his resume.
One of the joys of David Icke is that he weaves fact with conjecture. It's magnificent "madness". However, compared with, say, Colin Powell at the UN, or the Gulf of Tonkin lie, David Icke is a paragon of virtue.

It would appear that vison is not particularly interested in the merits of dissenting viewpoints. She has decided to condemn everything "outre" as false and mad, because it is self evident that what we are told by the mainstream is the truth... Right?

I have always marvelled at religious belief.... :D
tenebris lux
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I take it you don't know vison very well.

In any case, you're being rude and sarcastic and preventing any actual discussion in the thread. You have one note and you play it awfully loud. If I didn't work here, I would long since have stopped reading your posts.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Primula Baggins wrote:I take it you don't know vison very well.

In any case, you're being rude and sarcastic and preventing any actual discussion in the thread. You have one note and you play it awfully loud. If I didn't work here, I would long since have stopped reading your posts.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. And you aren't rude at all... :D

But when vison writes
He's almost as far down the road as David Icke. I expect that will be next on his resume.
It isn't exactly the zenith of discursive enterprise, is it? :)
tenebris lux