Jesse Ventura

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I apologize for posting in a way that you consider rude. <shrug>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Primula Baggins wrote:I apologize for posting in a way that you consider rude. <shrug>
Easy come, easy go. Nature is as nature does. :)

But it puzzles me how those who reduce discussion to "He's mad" are deemed constructive, and those who question why x, or y, or z is considered "mad" are considered disruptive.

But it IS a nice cosy club you have here. So no REAL surprise... :D
tenebris lux
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

You will no doubt not be surprised and will possibly be displeased/offended/cheezed off to see this: I think Jesse Ventura has slipped a cog or two. I think he might have taken too many blows to the head in his wrasslin' days.

I think he's nutso because he says nutso things, not just things I disagree with. He claims to believe these nutso things. If so, he belongs to the tinfoil hat brigade, not the slippery politician brigade. If he just says them for fun, then he's still a nut, but the diagnosis is not quite so serious. "Nut" as opposed to "nutso". A nice distinction there, quite scientific.

As someone or other has pointed out: even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :) (Assuming it's a real clock and not something with a digital readout.) This little aphorism applies to loons like Ventura and Icke and quite a few others. If they weren't often "normal" and "right", they would be like those mythical turkeys and drown in the rain.

As for Colin Powell and the Gulf of Tonkin, etc., why not start a thread on those interesting topics? This thread is about Jesse Ventura. :D

And, you know, I think it's reached the end of its useful life.
Dig deeper.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

vison wrote:You will no doubt not be surprised and will possibly be displeased/offended/cheezed off to see this: I think Jesse Ventura has slipped a cog or two. I think he might have taken too many blows to the head in his wrasslin' days.

I think he's nutso because he says nutso things, not just things I disagree with. He claims to believe these nutso things. If so, he belongs to the tinfoil hat brigade, not the slippery politician brigade. If he just says them for fun, then he's still a nut, but the diagnosis is not quite so serious. "Nut" as opposed to "nutso". A nice distinction there, quite scientific.

As someone or other has pointed out: even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :) (Assuming it's a real clock and not something with a digital readout.) This little aphorism applies to loons like Ventura and Icke and quite a few others. If they weren't often "normal" and "right", they would be like those mythical turkeys and drown in the rain.

As for Colin Powell and the Gulf of Tonkin, etc., why not start a thread on those interesting topics? This thread is about Jesse Ventura. :D

And, you know, I think it's reached the end of its useful life.
Yup! You think he's nuts because you think what he says is nuts. Therefore he's nuts.... Nice circularity with you as arbiter of sanity. Lucky lady... :D
tenebris lux
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra.

—Jesse Ventura
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

1) A bra is a garment, not a fabric.
2) Comments like those make me glad I have minimal cleavage. Seriously. I can't help but imagine how much more diffiuclt my life would be if I could fill out a 38 DD. Yeesh.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I AM the Arbiter of Sanity, actually. :P I think it's in the forum rules here, somewhere.

Now, you might find Mr. Ventura's ravings to be perfectly sensible. But that, you see, might lead to trouble, Arbiter-of-Sanity-Wise. :D

I gotta say, Jesse's expressed desire to "come back" as the fabric a 38DD bra is made from is one of his more rational remarks. Since I no longer wear a bra, I, personally, am safe from being the object of his . . um . . thingyjobbywhatsit . . . so I can enjoy the prospect of him having no prospect of ever knowing whatever fabrics know. Fabric being inert and all, except, wait a minute . . . . there was a Living Bra once!!! And it seems there might have been a Living Girdle!!!

Ya know? I think jock straps were made from the same stuff. Just think. What if the PTB made a teensyweensy mistake and sent Mr. J. Ventura back as the fabric a jock strap is made from?!?!?!? :shock:

The mind boggles.

Well, this mind, anyway. :D

Meanwhile, rest assured that the Arbiter of Sanity is alive and well and on the job. Eagle-eyed and ready to Judge. Judge, judge, judge. Yessir. :P
Dig deeper.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

Primula Baggins wrote:If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra.

—Jesse Ventura
Oh Jeez!

A little bit of colour in politics... mad! mad! mad!

And then you have Bush-Cheney, or Nixon-Kissinger.

And you call Jesse Ventura mad?

There seems to be a distinctly skewed idea of what is, and what isn't crazy here. Bombing Cambodia into the stone age and precipitating the rise of the Khmer Rouge was C-R-A-Z-Y.

Jesse Ventura making jokes about bras is... not really worth commenting on. There is a distinct lack of perspective here...
tenebris lux
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The thread is about Jesse Ventura. That is the topic of conversation. Talking about the bombing of Cambodia would be off-topic here. Failing to condemn atrocities with every word we type does not mean we think atrocities are acceptable or that we support them or that we think they're unimportant relative to the topic of discussion. It means we're talking about something else at the moment.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Vison, may I direct your attention here: http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2826

The thing that bothers me the most about this guy is it's very hard to come up with genuine hardcore evidence to debunk his theories.

Frankly, I think my friend who believes this stuff has slipped a cog or two, but she claims to have her sources. She knows someone who is high up in the military, as well as someone who works in Black Ops, who swears this stuf IS going to come to pass! :shock:

Meanwhile politics south of the border is just getting stranger and stranger, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe there IS some truth to what he is saying.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

It appears that Jesse Ventura is being labelled "crazy" because he engages with alternative analyses of important political issues. There would appear to be a long history of denigrating individuals who refuse to accept the official versions of events. As Noam Chomsky stated, the recourse to the label "conspiracy theory" is a deliberate act designed to immediately curtail discussion. It is dishonest, as it relegates any analysis of events to a determination of the sanity of the individual involved. It is an ad hominem attack.

Just such an attack is levelled at Jesse Ventura. His throwaway, jokey remark regarding "bras" and "fabric" is irrelevant to his investigations of power elites, yet it is raised as some defining statement. That appears most peculiar.

Any politician can be verbally assasinated if selectively quoted. Winston Churchill advocated the gassing of Iraqis in 1920, and there is a multitude of statements from him that could be presented as proof of his madness. Furthermore, he was reliant on drink and drugs to keep him functioning, and was a recognised chronic depressive. He was "mad". Yet he was also, arguably, the greatest Prime Minister in British history.

It would seem that this labelling of individuals as "crazY" is simply lazy, in keeping with Chomsky's appraisal. I wonder whether it really is sufficient to so "top and tail" a discussion here?

Addendum

Hans Christian Andersen wrote a little tale that I think is quite apt for describing how a defined narrative is maintained; the Emperor's New Clothes. This isn't a trivial point. Without people such as Jesse Ventura, authoritative, but manufactured, versions of history are maintained, because everybody is too frightened to stick their head above the parapet and point out the nakedness on view. This isn't simply the preserve of a Stalinist cult of personality, but is extant in all political systems. Step outside the narrow confines of an agreed narrative, and you risk ridicule and political suicide. What career politician is going to chance that? Only those mavericks, such as Jesse Ventura, who can afford being called crazy, because they don't really care.

And good luck to them!
tenebris lux