Brain structure may determine political attitudes

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It seems to me that a person's level of fear depends on what they know or believe about the world around them. In this country, for example, conservative nutcases who believe the black helicopters are about to be ordered out by the Kenyan usurper, and liberal nutcases who believe 9/11 was an inside job masterminded by Dick Cheney and the Koch brothers, are probably equally afraid of what the government is "really" up to. Whereas ordinary rational people don't choose their politics by their level of fear any more than they choose their religion, their job, or their spouse that way.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I choose my politics by what I perceive. I perceive Washington politics to be a ginormous machine run amok, to the degradation of the people. On both sides and in the middle. I'm not saying that there aren't well intentioned and talented people in DC, just that the structure has become unwieldy.

And since I have an addled brain, then I guess that says something about disliking all politics.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'll join you in disillusion, Holby.

I think I would also amend my previous post to change "conservative" to "right-wing" and "liberal" to "left-wing." The former terms shouldn't be linked with that degree of radical delusion.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King