Fun with medicine and ethics: IVF and consent

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I guess this is my response: *shrug*

Well, that's the way it is. If anonymity is what sperm donors require, tough beans. What applies to women applies to men. Accountability and the recognition that you understand and accept the consequences of your actions.
Dig deeper.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

This is an interesting topic with no easy answer despite what the courts decided. Personally I feel that without some type of pre-nadal agreement, the guy relinquished his say in the matter when he unzipped his pants.

I could never be a donor despite the altruistic side of things. I couldn't ever get over feeling responsible. My kids are my kids and that's pretty much that.

I do feel for the wannabe parents, and I know that must be a terrible burden to bear, but so is having cancer and heart disease and severe retardation.

There are still people willing to donate though, and whatever that number is, it is what it is. You can't and shouldn't ask people to give more than they are willing and knowing there is a child out there somewhere that came from you, is in itself an awful burden to bear for some.