The Walmart Gender Discrimination Case

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:I've had a chance to read through the opinions, and not surprisingly, I fully agree with Justice Ginsberg. But my overwhelming sense here is this a case in which the attorneys for the plaintiffs greatly overreached, with a result that caused more long-term harm to the cause of opposing workplace discrimination than was necessary.
:agree:

I worked for a small firm wherein the lawyer suggested a "class action" lawsuit with regards to an employment case wherein a lot of senior management people were getting fired or forced to resign so they can "save money" and hire people who will work for less compensation in a span of six months. I was scratching my head because the circumstances in which this alleged lay-offs were happening were different from one employee to another. One was fired because of absentism (underlying medical condition), the other didn't meet his sales goals after 15 years working there, the other he said he was discriminated because of his race and so on. I couldn't understand why the lawyer suggested a class action suit. :scratch: The lawyer asked the plaintiff to round up his colleagues and they will file a case. Good thing, none of the colleagues want to join him and hired their own individual lawyers. Now, the company would have had more headaches and it would cost them more money paying their high priced lawyers working on different cases.

In my opinion, class action lawsuits create a buzz that "we" are fighting the big bad wolf and some companies don't like being in the spotlight and have their reputation tarnished, so the mentality is, "the company will give in" but I guess not in this case. Walmart's reputation is not getting great reviews so it was best for them not to give in and just fight it out in court.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have mixed feelings when it comes to class actions in the emploment discrimination arena. On the one hand, I think that in the proper circumstances, it can be a very valuable tool. But too often it is used as a cash cow for unscrupulous plaintiffs' attorneys out to make a huge killing for themselves (the amount of money that the attorneys for the plaintiffs the plaintiffs in this case were going to try to get for themselves is nothing short of obscene).
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Very well said, V! You took the words out of my mouth but in a nice way. :)
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Seemed appropriate:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude