Romantic views of other cultures

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

vison wrote:I am always somewhat bemused by the fact that in Germany, anything to do with Native Americans (or Native Canadians) is just ENORMOUSLY popular. And Louis L'Amour novels . . . . reenactment clubs, etc.
Have you read Louis L'Amour? He told great tales. :) Every one is a romance novel that guys can appreciate, too, told in language that is practically poetry. It's no wonder they are popular world wide. Reenactment seems a bit odd, since so much of those books revolve around scenery that's unavailable and horses most people don't generally have... but , whatever makes them happy....
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Maria wrote: Have you read Louis L'Amour? He told great tales. :) Every one is a romance novel that guys can appreciate, too, told in language that is practically poetry. It's no wonder they are popular world wide. Reenactment seems a bit odd, since so much of those books revolve around scenery that's unavailable and horses most people don't generally have... but , whatever makes them happy....
I really wish he had lived long enough to finish the planned Walking Drum sequel and a dew more Sackett novels.
eborr

Post by eborr »

I have a strong empathy for Sindarin, save that I don't like "outside" and tree's freak me out a bit
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

vison wrote:Some years ago when Japan's economy was the envy of the world, there were countless articles about how "Western" businesses and workers just couldn't measure up to the Japanese model.
For instance, did the late Michael Crichton ever update his 1992 novel, Rising Sun, which concludes with a call to action against Japanese economic agression?

I love many Japanese films from the 1940s-1960s, some of which I consider to be among the greatest movies ever made, but they often portray Japanese society in a harsh light. One prominent Japanese critic described Masaki Kobayashi's samurai-drama Seppuku and Akira Kurosawa's samurai-comedy Sanjuro (both 1962, I think, and both superb), as reminders to the audience that Japan had been a feudal society not even one hundred years before, and a suggestion that elements of that arrangement persisted.

Kobayashi, by the way, also directed The Human Condition (1959-61), a three-installment, ten-hour film based on a six-part 1950s novel, which was released to great acclaim (one film history book even calls it the greatest film ever) -- something I like to remind those who claim that Peter Jackson's LOTR was unprecedented.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Here's an article about The Myth of the Panicking Disaster Victim and how history does not show a pattern of people misbehaving during disasters.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It is my understanding and I am quite willing (even happy) to be corrected, that Japan is still "ruled" by the old families although they don't ride around on horses slaughtering villagers any more?
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

vison wrote:It is my understanding and I am quite willing (even happy) to be corrected, that Japan is still "ruled" by the old families although they don't ride around on horses slaughtering villagers any more?
Yes - something like four of the past five PMs were themselves the sons or grandsons of PMs.

That said, Naoto Kan, the current Prime Minister, is the son of a businessman from a non-political family.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Lord_Morningstar wrote:
vison wrote:It is my understanding and I am quite willing (even happy) to be corrected, that Japan is still "ruled" by the old families although they don't ride around on horses slaughtering villagers any more?
Yes - something like four of the past five PMs were themselves the sons or grandsons of PMs.

That said, Naoto Kan, the current Prime Minister, is the son of a businessman from a non-political family.
And isn't that why he is rather sneered at by "the establishment"? And doesn't he dress funny?
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The previous PM, Yukio Hatoyama, had the reputation for dressing outrageously. But he was one of the richest men in the Diet and came from a rock-solid pedigree so he could get away with it. Kan is much more sombre in his style and approach.

I don't know if the establishment sneers at him, although it wouldn't surprise me if they did. But the DPJ government was struggling before he took over.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Oh Maria, I started reading the article and selfishness is really a cultural thing, and is not universal at all. I think the belief that selfishness is a universal human trait comes from ethnocentrism. There have been several anthropological studies that have totally debunked that idea, so it's surprising to read in the article that social scientist tried to write about humanity being selfish in a disaster.