Dick Winters

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
eborr

Dick Winters

Post by eborr »

I was saddened to read of the death of Dick Winters today. If you are unfamiliar with his exploits, then there is plenty of info avaialble in the public domain, or what I guess is the most detailed account of three years of his life in the TV series the Band of Brothers.

I think what struck me most about Winters was not his military skills or his immense personal courage, but his quiet dignity, and his very obvious humanity.

With the passing of his generation, the last to experience total war, we are loosing a caucas of experience which the current/previous bunch of politicians don't have - which is that war is horrible and it should not be invoked as anything but the absolute last resort.

America and the world need more people like Dick Winters
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,