Shooting of Congresswoman in Tucson

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

axordil wrote:I'm not sure how many of those I would view as anti-authoritarian, or specifically anti-Government. Quite a few are sour on corporations, and on corporate control of the government as they perceive it, but not on the concept of a strong Federal government per se.
Yes. Being against corporate control of a government 'of the people' isn't the same thing as being 'anti-authority'.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

http://www.salon.com/wires/us/2011/01/1 ... index.html

Evidently the Governor of Maine had a change of heart, or of political advisers.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Wonderful quote.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The Onion weighs in:

Political Pundits Surprisingly Good At Getting Inside Mentally Unbalanced Shooter's Head
"It's strange, but when it comes to getting inside the mind of this human being who seems to possess no empathy, sense of morality, or hold on reality, and who is motivated only by personal animus and self-glorification, the nation's major political pundits have been amazingly adept," said Horizon Media analyst Bob Cullen
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King