History of England (eborr/Aravar)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
eborr

History of England (eborr/Aravar)

Post by eborr »

On Govenment, there is already an English Govt, it's is simply that they lay claim to governing all of Britain and some of Ireland, if you look to your history you will find that the Saes invaded Wales, and Ireland, and the Scots sort of thought they would take over the Island of Britain with at the time of James 1st, but didn't realise that by then the monarchy had lost absolute power.
If Scotland and Wales had true independence, neither country would have had Conservative Govt in the last 100 years, except that Scotland would have elected a new labour(conservative) party in 1997.

I split these posts from the Cambridge thread in Bag End; eborr, please feel free to change the title if you and Aravar wish to continue this discussion.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

If new labour are conservatives, then I'm the Bishop of Rome.

Wasn't it more the Normans invading Wales and Ireland, rather than the saxons: the recent BBC programme on the Normans suggested that was the case.
eborr

Post by eborr »

hi your holiness.

er no the Celtic people of Britain were deprived of their lands by the Saxon invaders and forced to retreat into the west of the country, away from the rich farmlands of what is now South Eastern Enlgand, and into the more marginal uplands of the north and west. I am sure the BBC will have done a programme on that too.

My view is the Normans were next in line of invading barbarians, giving the saxons a taste of their own medicine.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

eborr wrote:hi your holiness.

er no the Celtic people of Britain were deprived of their lands by the Saxon invaders and forced to retreat into the west of the country, away from the rich farmlands of what is now South Eastern Enlgand, and into the more marginal uplands of the north and west. I am sure the BBC will have done a programme on that too.
You weren't talking about invading south east England, you were talking about Wales and Ireland. That happened in Norman times. The invasion of Ireland was by Norman Marcher Lords from Wales.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Aravar wrote:
eborr wrote:hi your holiness.

You weren't talking about invading south east England, you were talking about Wales and Ireland. That happened in Norman times. The invasion of Ireland was by Norman Marcher Lords from Wales.
Yeah I should have said Cymru rather than Wales, because that meant the whole of the land, rather than the country which is now called Wales, My own view is that the celtic people of Wales and Cornwall have a more just claim to the whole of the British Isles, than the Israeli's have to Palastine.

The fact that the celts retreated into Wales, to Cornwall and to Cumbria was a consequence of the Invasion. Also if you look at the evidence from the micocondrial dna, it strongly suggests that neither the Roman, nor the Norman invasions had the slightest impact on the population, unlike that of the Saxon invaders