The Brennan and Leach Case and abortion in Australia

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Brennan/Leach trial has begun:
Couple accused of procuring abortion not ready for child, court hears

A MAN who allegedly gave his pregnant girlfriend foreign drugs to cause her to miscarry told police he did so because he wasn't able to give his child "the best", a court has heard.

Sergie Brennan, 22, this morning pleaded not guilty in the Cairns District Court to one charge of supplying drugs to his girlfriend, 21-year-old Tegan Simone Leach.

Ms Leach pleaded not guilty to one charge of attempting to procure her own miscarriage.

The landmark trial, the first relating to abortion in Queensland in 24 years, began this morning in Cairns, with pro-choice demonstrators continuing a vigil outside the courthouse.

A police interview with Mr Brennan - of which a recording was played to the court - showed the young man telling officers that his girlfriend had taken a home pregnancy test and discovered that she was pregnant.

"I wanted to give my kid the best," Mr Brennan told the police.

"At that moment I felt I couldn't give my kid the best."

Mr Brennan said he and Ms Leach had then discussed it and decided to have an abortion.

He said he spoke to his relatives in his native Ukraine and they sent drugs that Ms Leach could take to procure her own abortion.

The court heard Mr Brennan believed the drugs were legal because they had made it through Australian customs.

In police interviews on March 30, Ms Leach said she had decided to have an abortion in late 2008 after learning she was pregnant because she did not feel ready to have a baby.

It is alleged that Ms Leach attempted to procure her own miscarriage between November 1, 2008, and January 1, 2009.

The matter came to the attention of police when officers were searching the couple's Cairns home on another matter in February 2009, the court was told.

Prosecutor Michael Byrne said officers found empty blister packets, which the couple identified as the packaging of abortion drugs.

Mr Byrne said the case was based on a simple set of facts - that Brennan illegally provided Leach with the abortion drugs RU486 and Misoprostol and she took them knowingly.

Under Queensland law procuring an abortion was illegal unless the pregnancy posed a threat to the woman's life or her physical or mental health, Mr Byrne said.

"There is no evidence of a necessity that an abortion needed to be carried out to preserve the life or the physical or mental health of Tegan Leach,'' he said.

The matter is being heard before a panel of 12 jurors, comprised of 8 women and four men.

Two women initially selected as jurors were excused from the trial after stating they did not believe they could be impartial.

The trial continues this afternoon before Judge Bill Everson.

link
I have absolutely no idea where this is going to go. On the facts, the couple are guilty of a crime. But nobody has been prosecuted for an abortion-related offence in Queensland (or in any Australian jurisdiction AFAIK) since 1986. Even before then prosecutions, particularly of the woman herself, were extremely rare. Neither I nor anybody else has any idea why the State of Queensland has decided to prosecute this couple.

Admittedly the fact that they induced the abortion through drugs rather than by a doctor is significant. The 1969 Victorian Precedent of R v Davidson, since adopted in Queensland (among other states) in the 1986 case of R v Bayliss and Cullen basically established that an abortion would be judged medically necessity if a doctor said it was. This more or less made it impossible for states to prosecute doctors who performed abortions or the women that they were performed on, even if those states had wanted to. But the Davidson defence will not be open to Mr. Brennan and Ms. Leach.

It still doesn’t explain why the Queensland DPP is going to the trouble, though. I’ll have more to add later. I’m particularly curious to see the case for the defence.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Very interesting. :scratch:
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

The Brennan and Leach Case and abortion in Australia

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I posted about this in the Roe v. Wade thread, but given that it's growing to become just as complex in its own right I thought I'd give it a thread of its own.

A young couple is currently standing trial in my state for having an abortion. The facts and the legal background are very important and somewhat confusing, so I’ll do my best to describe them simply.

In February 2009, as part of a murder investigation, officers of the Queensland State Police Force carried out a routine search of a number of houses in North Cairns, Queensland, Australia. In the house shared by Sergie Brennan, 21, and his partner, Tegan Leach, 19, they found a number of empty blister packets that had contained the abortion drugs RU486 and Misoprostol. The police questioned the couple on the packets, and heard that, late in the previous year, Leach had taken a home pregnancy test and discovered that she was pregnant. She discussed the situation with Brennan, and they decided to have an abortion. Brennan subsequently acquired the drugs from relatives in the Ukraine.

Brennan said that he believed that the drugs were legal as they cleared Australian customs, and both Brennan and Leach believed that abortion was legal in Queensland. While s. 224-226 of the Queensland Criminal Code forbid abortion, no-one has been prosecuted in an abortion-related case since 1986, and prosecutions of women for having abortions have been unknown anywhere in Australia since the early 1960s. You can see a map of state-by-state abortion laws in Australia on wikipedia here.

In the 1968 case of R v Davidson, the Supreme Court of Victoria established, more or less, that an abortion performed by a doctor would be legal if it met the requirements laid out by state law (then the Offences Against the Person Act) in his honest and reasonable opinion. This decision was subsequently copied by other State Supreme Courts, being adopted in Queensland in the 1986 case of R v Bayliss and Cullen. It meant that it became almost impossible to convict a doctor for a breach of an anti-abortion law, as no jury could find beyond reasonable doubt that, in his view as a medical professional, an abortion was not justified in the circumstances. Prosecutions over abortion in Australia had always been extremely rare, but following this they became non-existent. In the jurisdictions where abortion was still subject to restrictions – the states of Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria, and the Northern Territory – laws against abortion remained on the books but were unenforced. In Western Australia and New South Wales, abortion was technically restricted but allowed in such a wide range of circumstances as to be effectively legal on demand. This resulted in a fragile but lasting compromise between pro-lifers and pro-choicers, which suited Australian politicians, who don’t like to have to talk about or deal with moral issues like these.

The compromise has been broken, though, with pro-choicers winning two political victories. In 2006, a bill was passed on conscience vote through the Federal Parliament stripping the health minister of his power to ban the importing of abortifacient drugs. This made it legal to import RU486 and other abortion-inducing drugs into Australia. Then, in 2008 the then Premier of Victoria, John Brumby, declared that having anti-abortion laws on the books was ‘out of step with community sentiment’, and moved a bill to strike them out. It passed both houses of the Victorian Parliament on a conscience vote, making abortion legal in all circumstances in Victoria. As a result of these reforms, a number of pro-life politicians have become increasingly vocal on the issue, which is unusual (although consistent with a recent rise of religious evangelism in politics, previously unknown in Australia). Every poll conducted on the topic, however, suggests that Australians, even in conservative states like Queensland and Western Australia, are mostly pro-choice.

Which brings us to Brennan and Leach, who were subsequently charged with breaches of the QCC. These are the relevant sections, which have not been changed since the first edition of the code was written in 1899:
224 Attempts to procure abortion

Any person who, with intent to procure the miscarriage of a woman, whether she is or is not with child, unlawfully administers to her or causes her to take any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, is guilty of a crime, and is liable to imprisonment for 14 years.

225 The like by women with child

Any woman who, with intent to procure her own miscarriage, whether she is or is not with child, unlawfully administers to herself any poison or other noxious thing, or uses any force of any kind, or uses any other means whatever, or permits any such thing or means to be administered or used to her, is guilty of a crime, and is liable to imprisonment for 7 years.

226 Supplying drugs or instruments to procure abortion

Any person who unlawfully supplies to or procures for any person anything whatever, knowing that it is intended to be unlawfully used to procure the miscarriage of a woman, whether she is or is not with child, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for 3 years.
These sections are subject to the defence of medical necessity, like the rest of the code.

The case created an immediate push by pro-choice groups to have the laws struck down. At the time, there was a Labor Government in Queensland led by Premier Anna Bligh. A Government MP, Bonnie Barry, claimed that she tried to move a bill overturning the laws but was blocked by the Premier, who said that it would a vote-loser. The laws were clarified to make it clear that doctors would still be indemnified if they performed abortions for medical reasons, but otherwise abortion without medical reason would remain a crime and the prosecution of Brennan and Leach would continue. As a result, all Queensland hospitals have since suspended abortion and started referring patients to hospitals in New South Wales. For the first time in 24 years, abortion is now a crime again in an Australian jurisdiction. This has caused a great deal of indignation on behalf of progressives, particularly as Anna Bligh had a reputation when she first became Premier of being both a progressive and a campaigner on women’s issues (and she is also, ironically, the first female Premier of Queensland).

The trial began yesterday in the Cairns district court, and while it is still a fairly low-key event it has been gaining more and more attention from commentators in the media. Both defendants have pleaded not guilty:
Couple accused of procuring abortion not ready for child, court hears

A MAN who allegedly gave his pregnant girlfriend foreign drugs to cause her to miscarry told police he did so because he wasn't able to give his child "the best", a court has heard.

Sergie Brennan, 22, this morning pleaded not guilty in the Cairns District Court to one charge of supplying drugs to his girlfriend, 21-year-old Tegan Simone Leach.

Ms Leach pleaded not guilty to one charge of attempting to procure her own miscarriage.

The landmark trial, the first relating to abortion in Queensland in 24 years, began this morning in Cairns, with pro-choice demonstrators continuing a vigil outside the courthouse.

A police interview with Mr Brennan - of which a recording was played to the court - showed the young man telling officers that his girlfriend had taken a home pregnancy test and discovered that she was pregnant.

"I wanted to give my kid the best," Mr Brennan told the police.

"At that moment I felt I couldn't give my kid the best."

Mr Brennan said he and Ms Leach had then discussed it and decided to have an abortion.

He said he spoke to his relatives in his native Ukraine and they sent drugs that Ms Leach could take to procure her own abortion.

The court heard Mr Brennan believed the drugs were legal because they had made it through Australian customs.

In police interviews on March 30, Ms Leach said she had decided to have an abortion in late 2008 after learning she was pregnant because she did not feel ready to have a baby.

It is alleged that Ms Leach attempted to procure her own miscarriage between November 1, 2008, and January 1, 2009.

The matter came to the attention of police when officers were searching the couple's Cairns home on another matter in February 2009, the court was told.

Prosecutor Michael Byrne said officers found empty blister packets, which the couple identified as the packaging of abortion drugs.

Mr Byrne said the case was based on a simple set of facts - that Brennan illegally provided Leach with the abortion drugs RU486 and Misoprostol and she took them knowingly.

Under Queensland law procuring an abortion was illegal unless the pregnancy posed a threat to the woman's life or her physical or mental health, Mr Byrne said.

"There is no evidence of a necessity that an abortion needed to be carried out to preserve the life or the physical or mental health of Tegan Leach,'' he said.

The matter is being heard before a panel of 12 jurors, comprised of 8 women and four men.

Two women initially selected as jurors were excused from the trial after stating they did not believe they could be impartial.

The trial continues this afternoon before Judge Bill Everson.

link
I have a long list of questions, but that is enough for now.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm glad you gave this its own thread, LM. I think that was the right thing to do.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Doesn't look like anyone is following the case, but both sides have presented their closing arguments and the jury should return their verdict tomorrow:
Abortion jury told morals not on trial

By Wendy Carlisle

Updated Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:47pm AEDT

The controversial trial of a couple in Cairns in far north Queensland charged with illegally obtaining an abortion will spill into its third day tomorrow, with the Crown prosecutor sternly reminding the jury "you are not sitting in a court of morals".

Prosecutor Michael Byrne, SC, told the jury he would be foolish to think the jurors did not hold personal views about abortion, but their job was to uphold the law and if they disagreed with it they should "make their views known at the ballot box".

Tegan Leach, 21, has been charged with illegally obtaining her own abortion by using the abortion pill RU486.

Her boyfriend, Sergie Brennan, is charged with one count of assisting her.

If found guilty Leach faces seven years in jail and Brennan faces three years.

Mr Byrne told the jury that Leach's abortion had been a "lifestyle choice" and did not constitute a lawful abortion in Queensland.

He said a pregnancy can only be terminated when it posed a threat to the woman's life or her physical or mental health.

This morning the court was shown a videotaped police interview with Leach in which she said she had the abortion because she "wasn't ready for a child".

"I can't look after myself, how can I look after a child?" she said on the tape.

Jury deliberations

With the jury set to return a verdict tomorrow, it appears the case hangs on the definition of one word in the Queensland abortion law.

The jury has asked for directions from Judge Everson on the meaning of "noxious".

Under Queensland law it is an offence for a woman to "administer to herself any poison or noxious thing" to obtain an abortion.

Obstetrics expert Professor Nicholas Fisk from Queensland University presented evidence to the court that the abortion pill RU486 was not injurious to the woman who took it, but was a very efficient abortifacient - a substance which induces an abortion.

Leach, who has sat emotionless beside her boyfriend throughout the trial, lost her composure after Professor Fisk's evidence, and left the court in tears.

In his final address to the jury, Mr Byrne said abortion drugs are intended to be injurious to a woman's body.

"These drugs are intended to cause the expulsion of the foetus from the woman's body," he said.

"They are intended to change the state of the woman's body. They are intended in one sense of the word to be injurious, hurtful, harmful and unwholesome."

'No rights'

Counsel for the defence Kevin McCreanor told the jury that when the laws were passed in 1899 "women had no rights".

He said the couple were not being charged under health regulations for using a drug without proper medical supervision.

"No, the state has not chosen to go down that road, the state has charged these young people with criminal offences," he said.

"I ask you on behalf of these two young people, to put an end to the nightmare they are going through and return a verdict of not guilty."

After closing addresses by the Crown and the defence, Judge Everson of the Cairns Criminal Court adjourned the case until Thursday morning.

link
I can’t see how, exactly, the defence can hang a case on the drugs not being ‘noxious’ as the act forbids a woman to procure her own miscarriage using ‘any means whatsoever’. Still, the jury seems to be giving it consideration.

Having a look at the status of abortion worldwide, if the jury does convict this must be a unique case in the western world.

It’s also interesting how little attention it seems to have drawn from pro-life groups. Cherish Life Queensland has released a statement opposing the repeal of the laws and suggesting that doctors who perform abortion should be punished, but they shy away from talking too much about the specific case beyond calling for a penalty that will be sufficient to act as a deterrent. Others, both in Australia and overseas, have been mostly silent. I won’t speak for the pro-life movement, but it does seem to me that calling for abortion to be illegal is easier when it doesn’t involve convicting and possibly gaoling an actual woman for it.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

It's about time.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

But if there's a truth about this story it's this: hard heads in the pro-choice camp would have preferred a guilty verdict.

No-one will say it publicly, and certainly none wished Tegan Leach or Sergie Brennan in jail but a pair of martyrs would have been helpful to the decriminalisation cause.
This is a very disturbing excerpt from that article, and I question the pro-choice bona fides of the people who feel this way. It's problematically "utilitarian" in a sense: the incarceration of one or two martyrs is acceptable in order to achieve the "greater good" of repealing the law. No, no, no. What it means to be hard-headedly pro-choice (as I proudly consider myself) is this: no woman should ever, ever, ever face criminal punishment (or civil sanction) for exercising what should be her absolute prerogative at any point during her pregnancy to decide that she does not wish to have a fetus within her or to give birth. Even a single woman incarcerated or penalized, even one, to show the absurdity of doing such a thing at all, is too many. You can call my view hard-headed, but at least it doesn't quietly prefer to throw a couple women under the bus to make a point.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

As an admin note, can the posts on the Brennan/Leach case be moved over to their thread? It just looks so lonely now with only two replies.

It turned out that the case hung on the meaning of the word 'noxious'. I suspect that the indictment must have specifically described RU486 as a 'noxious' substance, allowing the jury to return a not guilty verdict if they decided that it was not. In that case the prosecution was either incompetent or (I suspect) intentionally sabotaging their own case.

Either way, nothing seems to have been resolved.