Rally to Restore Sanity

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Why does it seem that politics tend to be, or end up like that? :scratch:

Big bad conspiracy, I tell ya. ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, it appears that satellite rallies are starting to pop up around the country. These would be at the same time as the DC rally and probably include watching it. A Facebook page with a list of places where the idea has at least come up is here.

(Of course Eugene is one of them. If it happens, I'll probably go. There's apparently a planning meeting at a pizza joint next week.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Any movement with planning meetings at a pizza joint is worth supporting. ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A pizza joint called Cozmic Pizza, of course. ;)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Cool, man. 8)
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, a San Francisco rally! Narya, Teremia, you up for this? Perhaps even V?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

vison wrote:He is also the PM who wants harsher laws, longer sentences...
There I was thinking he too hated the way people post and blog until I read the rest of the sentence.
It's about time.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

The SF planning page makes me grin -- I'd like to go and take the kids!

:)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Me too, me too! The right kind of civic activism.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

To pass the word - San Francisco Rally for Sanity is asking for donations to pay for permits, port-a-potties and other stuff. This is really a grass-roots effort and it's very educational to watch it happen. So if anyone wishes to support this, or their local rally, the donation page is here. I haven't used it yet myself because my computer is in the comma and I don't dare to do anything sensitive on it, but I will, I will.

They are also trying to line up performers. They've got a mime troop (wait until the Patrician* hears about this!) but I'm sure they could use lots more, like, drums and things. :whistle:

Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

If want to rehash the health care discussion, can it be on another thread, this is about the rally for sanity.

I have been lurking on this thread for a while and I find the concept pretty interesting. I am hoping the rally has a balanced focus. I was reading somewhere that now political parties are viewed, or communicated as brands, rather then anything else, which I have noticed has affected my thinking. So I try to be conscious of it and try to look at things differently. Hopefully this rally can help with de-branding politics (at least a little).
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Good point, Wilma. In fact, I moved the side discussion that erupted to the thread on health care reform, beginning here
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

The rally is streaming live here this morning/afternoon/evening, depending on your timezone:

http://www.comedycentral.com/dcrallylive/
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Rats, and our AppleTV thingy that would let us stream it to the TV and watch while we do housework doesn't get here until Monday.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I ordered Asian takeout. If I'm watching them while I eat dinner, that still counts as an efficient use of time, right?
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

“Rally to Resore Sanity” pledges to “strictly prohibit filming” at National Mall
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opini ... 55893.html
----
We are going in the same direction as Nazi Germany in terms of we have a ruthless group of people who make bold decisions. They spit on democracy.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

OMG it's huge!

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I've now been away from the US for as long as I've ever been in my life ... and this feel-good display of American miscellany is exactly what I needed at this point. I'm glad for their sakes that they got such a sizable turnout.

EDIT I will say that the song that's playing right now (with Sheryl Crow) is probably the one thing that bothers me the most (for the reasons I gave around the gay bullying discussion) - the idea that it's not possible to work concretely towards or achieve significant change, so "waiting" for things to improve or "caring" abstractly is the right course of action. It really troubles me that this message is so often presented to, and resonates with, young adults. It reminds me of John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change". I wish they hadn't included that. But on the whole I'm really enjoying this so far.
Last edited by nerdanel on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Definitely a good-sized crowd.