Trapped miners in Chile

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I admit to getting a bit teary-eyed when they all sang the Chilean National anthem (led by their president) after Uruza stepped out of the capsule.

This has been very good for Chile, certainly good for their president and, I think, good for the world community.

And Lord knows the world community could use a boost.

I think the whole operation and engineering to achieve the rescue has been astounding.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:It's such a geeky story, too, in a way. Not very much to debate. While there is a bit of a media circus going on - well, why not, it's a big story! - the situation was approached in an engineer's way, for the most part. OK, here's the problem, how can we solve it in the shortest possible time. Looks like it worked.
Like the Apollo 13 mission. Or as an averted disaster not an engineering problem, Flight 1549 safely down in the Hudson River.