Onward Christian Soldiers

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Alatar wrote:[OT]Can we get a discussion on Praise Music elsewhere as I'm pretty interested in it. Despite a lot of it being very very bad, there are some gems in there and those are the ones I'm interested in![/OT]
What Al -- and Lali -- said. :D

For the record, I have never liked 'Onward Christian Soldiers'. Neither the awful tune nor the words.
Dave_LF wrote: As V pointed out, the difficulty is that this sort of behavior already does violate the armed forces' official policy, so it's very difficult for officials to address it.
Which is what? :scratch:

Needless to say, I am opposed to anyone being 'punished' for not attending a 'Christian rock concert'.

:shock: :x
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

So the 1st Amendment only applies to Christianity? :scratch:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What would possibly make you say that, Padme? :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The incident in question involved Christians, but surely there would be just as much of a controversy if members of another religion had done a similar thing.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I suspect there would be much more controversy in that case. Especially if the religion in question were (horror) Islam.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I think it has to do with majority. If "almost everyone" is of a certain religion or culture, it seems like a natural thing to sort of expect that "everyone" will attend the concert or the service or whatever.

It seems harmless to simply "encourage" people to attend. And, if you are a member of a religion that strives to convince others to join the ranks (so to speak) it may seem like it is your spiritual duty to do everything possible to persuade people to participate in an activity that will help them decide to get on board.

One of my brothers once mentioned that even though he didn't like the tactics of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, he understood what they were trying to do because at least they were "bringing people to Jesus." (I think said brother has changed his tune...I hope!) In other words, the ends justify the means. If your overall goal is to "save as many souls as possible" then a little coercion to go see a movie or a concert might be warranted.

In one of the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, she describes a revival meeting. Laura hated them, she thought prayer should be a private thing and she didn't like the spectacle. But when she mentioned that she wasn't going to go, her friends were horrified. "People who don't go to revival meetings are atheists!" The public pressure to participate was very great.

I suspect that this might be similar to what happened in the stories described above. If you are in the 10% who are not Christian, or even if you are Christian but would rather spend your evening reading a book or catching up on your email...the pressure could be very strong to attend. And in the armed forces, where community is everything, where you need to be able to rely on your mates...it could be very divisive if the majority of people - including the higher level officers - were all members of a certain
group. And it could be very difficult to refuse to participate, even if technically, it was "optional."

As a Christian myself, I would find such pressure abhorrent and would be one of the people who stayed reading in my tent. I also question whether concerts of a specific religious bent belong on a US Armed Forces base at all.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

The part that appalls me is the abuse of rank. Yes, religious music tends to be sub-par, but punishing those who do not freely go to this? At least in Basic Training they gave us a complete round of choices, including one at all, for your religious preferences.

I'm surprised this went on as long as it did. Had I been in that company, when ordered to stay in the barracks under duty I would insist that the order be in writing so I can show it to IG and EEO. They would know exactly what I mean by that, too, an realize immediately that they had crossed a line or two.

Given the all volunteer status of our military, in some ways it is a lot easier to push everyone around. But there is the occasional person determined to put up a fuss and be right at the same time.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Somehow I'm not surprised that you would. But good for you. There aren't enough men who rock the boat in this world.
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I am reminded of my father's approach to mandatory daily chapel at the Baptist college he attended. He had no intention of attending chapel services, so he stated on his official registration forms that he was Buddhist and thus not required to go. I don't believe he ever mentioned this to his father, who was a Christian preacher.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

[ot] I can definitely contribute more to a praise music discussion than I can to this. If the situation is just as it was stated in this article, then I think it was wrong. However, I still wouldn't be surprised if there was more to it. Honestly. I tend to find that the truth is somewhere in the middle of where each side says. [/ot]
Voronwë the Faithful

Regarding the question of splitting the discussion about praise music into a separate thread, I've looked at and concluded that it would be too difficult to split it, as many of the posts that discusss that subject also discuss the main subject of the thread. Sorry about that!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

But certainly a thread like that could be started.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Of course!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I wondered if it'd be too difficult to split the posts. No problem! Like you all said, we can start the thread.

<rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock!>
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Interesting variation. . . . :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:rofl:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

(I :love: The Big Bang Theory. Awesome, awesome show!)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

( :rofl: I love Big Bang Theory too!)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Um .... (I presume I don't need to say the rest of the sentence)