Religion and Discrimination

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The ruling was for Sikh women, for some reason they can't wear helmets - for religious reasons that I, frankly, don't know about. I should have made that clear.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 871775.cms
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
axordil wrote:Rentals are classed as public accommodations, though, and so in the US at least fall under the Civil Rights Act, I believe.
The Fair Housing Act, actually.
Thanks, V-man. I knew it was an LBJ era law, at least. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:
One requirement in Southern India is often that the renters do not cook non-vegetarian food. That is discrimination as well...
I don't think I agree. If a person's beliefs require keeping certain food out of their kitchen, then they may, on their private property, make that a condition of rental agreement. The key here is that a vegetarian of any religion is able to rent the apartment. Now, if that person required that such food be banned from a university cafeteria, for instance, or from all restaurants in the city, THAT would be discrimination.
Even if there was a housing shortage, and the renter had to eat eggs because the doctor had said so?

What if the owner was the one running a cafeteria?

I agree with your points, Frelga, but am curious. Theoretically, where do we draw the line for discrimination?

Of course, when it comes to the law, I think social realities should guide the rulings than theoretical musings. Don't be Rand Paul, in other words.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Mahima wrote: Even if there was a housing shortage, and the renter had to eat eggs because the doctor had said so?

What if the owner was the one running a cafeteria?

I agree with your points, Frelga, but am curious. Theoretically, where do we draw the line for discrimination?
Good questions. I think, first, that we can only allow excluding behavior that physically affects the property, and only within the person's private residence. After all if asking tenants not to smoke is allowed so should be not cooking meat, no? I don't know...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think having an apartment building where renters could not cook meat might be legal, actually. So far as I know, there's no religion that requires eating meat, and being a vegetarian isn't a religion per se, so it's not discriminatory, just weird.

Having an apartment building where you required tenants to do something would be more problematic.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

axordil wrote:I think having an apartment building where renters could not cook meat might be legal, actually. So far as I know, there's no religion that requires eating meat, and being a vegetarian isn't a religion per se, so it's not discriminatory, just weird.

Having an apartment building where you required tenants to do something would be more problematic.
I agree... but asking renters not to cook meat requires them to switch to a vegetarian diet...
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Either that or consume their meat in the form of cold cuts.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I like the way you think. :D