Verdict in the Oscar Grant killing

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Drat, I was hoping we'll get through the day without rioting. What started as a peaceful protest against the verdict of involuntary manslaughter in the Johanne Mehserle's trial now turned to the mob breaking into a shoe store. We'll see how the night goes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I got the distinct impression from the radio earlier that newspeople have been practically begging people to riot. SO much speculation about reactions to the verdict and SO much anticipation of trouble: it becomes a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

:(

I was a little surprised by the verdict, myself. I read the judge's instructions earlier today, tried to make sense of them, and thought probably they'd come up with voluntary manslaughter. But these distinctions become hard to figure.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, I got that feeling, too. Sad. It does seem that many people have gone all out to make sure things remain calm.

This quote from the newsfeed I think just captures the bizarreness of the events:
DailyCal.org wrote:A fight just broke out. Fights have been breaking out sporadically throughout the day, generally between protesters arguing about how they should go about protesting.
But it's getting worse, I think.

ETA: Tear gas now. :( Shots. More looting.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So they found the guy guilty, but the people are still rioting?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They found him guilty of the least possible charge, and people are unsatisfied.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I guess I am rather unsympathetic to people who riot, so I'll keep my mouth shut now.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If the jury believed that he really did mistake his gun for his taser, they really had no choice but to find him guilty of involuntary manslaughter. It seems unlikely that an officer would make such a mistake accidently, but it also seems unlikely that one would just shoot an unarmed man in the back under those circumstances. I understand why people are upset, but the jurors did what they thought was right. That is all that anyone can ask of people.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë, I appreciate you starting the thread. However, the reason I posted in Parlor was to share my person feelings as a person close to the events without crossing into the political discussion.

ETA: This blog contains on-the-spot report and links to several flickr streams. http://thomashawk.com/2010/07/oakland-r ... ghter.html Some images are of signs containing offensive language.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I just got back from Alameda Hospital, which is close enough to Oakland to hear the helicopters hovering about looking for news, but far enough away to feel safe. They were just taking down the emergency mass casualty tents they had set up in the parking lot, for "just in case", which fortunately weren't used.

I heard that last night, the news people came to interview them (in Alameda), because they didn't want to visit anywhere closer to the action. :P

This potential riot had lots of forewarning and foreplanning - there was a huge police and emergency vehicle presence, the hospitals were prepared, the downtown businesses boarded up their windows and let their employees go home early, and all the local churches and organizations preached tolerance. Most importantly, the family of the shooting victim strongly urged people not to riot.

All in all, a much better turn out than a full riot and people wringing there hands asking "what can we do?"
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lali, I was explaining the reason people were angry, not saying they were justified in expressing that anger by rioting. Nor do I know whether the verdict was appropriate or inappropriate. It was what it was, and some people wanted a more severe one, either out of anger or because they believe the evidence justifies it.

narya, it sounds as if they took every reasonable precaution. I'm glad they weren't all needed in the event.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, I know what you meant, Prim, and I understood that people felt the verdict was unfair. I wasn't directing my comment at you in any way.

I just, well, I get very frustrated with this sort of thing, which could lead me to say things that some may find insensitive. As I don't live in this area, I really am just giving my opinion as an outsider, and it may be fairly worthless.