The End of the World as seen in a TV ad . . .

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

I don't see the sexualisation at all.

I see someone strutting their stuff saying, "Look at me! I'm stylish!" rather than "Look at me. I'm dead sexy!" Of course, the commercial is successful in that it gets noticed - difficult to do these days, and it quite funny. Stylish? When your underpants are full of chic? But if they really wanted to do a parody it should parody the parents who think the toddler gives a damn if it's dressed in Walmart's clothes or Ralph Lauren.

I remember Billy Connelly in 'An Audience With...' doing a great skit about incontinence pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhETFcgWTE

Now that was funny and even today remembered by most Brits who watched it 25 years ago.

(Edit: and at 1:30 you see Théoden in the audience)
It's about time.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

When I first saw it, my reaction was to shake my head and say "DESIGNER DIAPERS????" :nono:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

A friend's daughter makes "designer" diapers, they're cloth and cost the earth. Gwyneth Paltrow has bought her diapers, but I'm not supposed to know that. She also makes a limited number of "onesies", but they have to be ordered way ahead of time.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh good grief.. anything to market an item and charge more $$. (referring to the denim diapers)

I used cloth diapers because my daughter was very sensitive & had a reaction to (I am guessing the chemicals used in) disposables until she was quite a bit older. We couldn't have afforded the disposable ones anyway.. but I recall they were just coming out with the 'designer' diapers around the time she was born.. the boy/girl specialty diapers.. :roll: Anything to charge more money and make a 'convenience' item seem indispensable.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

There was an Art Diaper of the Month Club when my son was of a diapering age. We didn't join--it was, shall we say, pricey--but the web site was amusing.

PS: be very careful Googling for it. Just sayin'. :shock:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:shock: Don't wanna know.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I hadn't even thought of googling it Ax... but now that you mention it...

.... nah...
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Don't!!!! :shock:

I remember googling "hobbies" and having the retinas burned right outa my eyeballs. :shock:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I must have put a filter on my computer at one time.. because I don't usually get stuff like that when I google search... Or maybe it's because I run FireFox?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The difference between Google with and without SafeSearch is pretty tremendous......
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

One evening, my dad came upstairs, sat down for dinner, and with that haunted look and voice he gets when he's just seen something he really wishes he hadn't, announced "Never google 'slap suits'." We giggled nervously because we'd all run google searches or mis-typed URLs and ended up places we'd never wanted to go before and because a term like "slap suit" sounds like something that can't lead you to anywhere but horror.

Later I learned it was actually SLAPP suits he was looking for, but apparently he ended up in bad place anyway.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:rofl:

I set Google to Moderate Safe Search and it seems about right. I do a lot of medical searches with iffy terminology for my work, and still find everything I need, but without any, um, surprises. I'm editing a gastroenterology text at the moment, so what those surprises might look like . . . :blackeye:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

One of the beautiful things about my line of work is the search terms are hard to corrupt so I rarely accidentally encounter unpleasantness. There are advantages to sticking to molecules, y'know.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I never shoulda left.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I think this is more surely a sign of the End of the World than the denim diaper idea:
http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemd ... H=(d97029)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The pattern! :shock:

The price!!! :scarey:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The poor dog!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

The look on the poor dog's face! :shock:
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I don't have a problem with the diapers as such except they are marketed to the kids whose parents can afford them, thus putting even babies in the US into a class system.

The dog thing is just wrong. Help starving homeless people or diaper our dogs.....oh we'll diaper our dogs. :roll: :nono: Not to mention how cruel to the dog, sheesh if you're too lazy to let the dog out to go pee, maybe you shouldn't have a dog. Accidents happen with animals....geeze.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

samaranth wrote:The look on the poor dog's face! :shock:
Yes. Something between "Dear God in heaven, why?" and "Someone help me, please".