The End of the World as seen in a TV ad . . .

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I know what you're saying.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

River wrote:...Your dog is never "just a dog" and your cat is never "just a cat", know what I'm saying?...
Absolutely.

Our little cat - practically the last thing he did was gently push his face against my arm and purr. I was holding him, waiting for my husband to come home so that we could make that much-dreaded drive to the vets. We'd known this day was coming, but it was still too soon.

Kitty-cat slipped into a coma in my arms.

I did wonder if he suffered too much because we didn't make that drive a bit earlier, but I remember his purrs, and particularly that last one, and I know he wouldn't have chosen to go any sooner either.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

OK, so there may be some excuse for the doggie diapers, but this?

You Can Buy United Bamboo’s Cat Dresses at Opening Ceremony for $500
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(from a link on that page)

:suspicious:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And note that "243 people recommend this" on facebook.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:shock: One doesn't put cats in $500 dresses. No, no, no, no, no..........

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'd agree with that statement even more if you changed it to "One doesn't put cats in dresses." Full stop. No adjectives, no qualifiers.

Seriously. Dude. Your cat is elegant and beautiful without anyone's help. Elegance and beauty is part of what makes a cat a cat. And why on earth would anyone spend that kind of money on something the cat is going to spend the rest of the day trying to remove? When a cat wants to feel pretty, it licks itself. It does not put on a designer dress.

Or maybe I'm just thrown because I'd hesitate before putting myself in a $500 dress (but I'm also the woman who bought her wedding dress on clearance so that's not saying much).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I've never had a $500 dress, not even my wedding dress. Nor do I dress my cats. How absurd.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My wedding dress cost $180.

And it was perfect, BTW. It's under the bed as we speak.

My daughter being 3 inches shorter and considerably slimmer than I was even then, nobody's wearing it again in the foreseeable future; but I'm glad I have it and even more glad that it didn't cost Mom and Dad $10,000 or even $1000. I could not have afforded the $180 at the time, so I was (and am) grateful. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

OMG. None of those pets look happy in the pictures. *shakes head* Cats are beautiful already.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

We used to dress our cat in a collar, but he's a strictly indoor cat and the collar was detracting from his otherwise puma-like appearance. So we took it off.

Yes, we are that vain about our cat.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I mentioned earlier about people who dress up weimaraners to look like people, and how their owners insist that the dogs don't mind it. As I said then, dogs can be conditioned to "enjoy" all sorts of strange activities, but that's dogs. It is in their nature to want to please. Cats, on the other hand, don't seem to have the same Pavlovian characteristics to ever accept being put in a dress as anything even remotely approaching "normal".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

On the pic I posted above, the bottom left one really bugs me. The dog looks like it's in some awful cage where it can't move. It looks like a torture device. An expensive and fashinable torture device.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Same here, yov. I kept looking at it, wondering where the legs are supposed to go. :(
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

At least with this, as bad as it it the clothes can come off. There are people who dye their dogs fur. Even in colours like fuschia. It's atrocious.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Frelga wrote:Same here, yov. I kept looking at it, wondering where the legs are supposed to go. :(
I just assumed it was a new legless breed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think that's a doggie carrier, not something the dog would wear around the house. There was a fashion a while back among people who see pets as accessories for carrying tiny dogs everywhere in purses. I seem to recall that it was back when chihuahuas were briefly the rage. Paris Hilton had one, etc.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Well, yes, I've seen those around too. But usually the purses are larger then the dog, ya know?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, certainly. But a dog used to be carried around like a baby probably wouldn't feel all that confined in that thing. And might be allowed to be taken places where a dog merely being carried might not.

Not arguing for the practice, you understand. Our own dog Lucy would never tolerate such an indignity, even if she were small enough.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

My little puppy might tolerate it. She was raised in a household of small children and thinks nothing of being carried around. All the other dogs I've had were/are terrified by height, but not this little one. I even carried her to her cage this afternoon with her little legs up in the air (she was very sleepy) and she didn't protest at all. She was just sprawled half awake, not caring at all that she was on her back being carried.

I usually make her walk/run everywhere so she gets plenty of exercise, but I do carry her sometimes just so she doesn't start to get scared of being up high.