Lies of the radical right

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Nope. Sounds about right.

(I recall there being plenty of Bush -> Hitler comparisons back in the day. I don't recall any quite so...well, stupid as that one, though.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This seems to fit in this thread:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php ... e-abortion

A sample quote:
"Perhaps the greatest insult is that this attack is happening under the banner of 'improving women's health.' The only ones who believe that killing an unborn child is good for a woman's health are those who will profit from the slaughter, Western powers who are pouring untold millions of dollars into measures to keep Africa's children from being born," Meaney told LifeNews.com.

"This is nothing but population control, an imperialist assault intended to rob Africa of its future by eliminating her children.
Seriously, I read this whole piece, and not only am I more than a little amused by its bizarreness, I can't even figure out how they think it says what they say it does...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I wonder how many videos they'll get of themselves trying to pass it off as actual attendees...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

It's a political tactic as old as time, the false flag. All it takes is a willing audience, which I have to admit, foes of the tea party movement have in abundance.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We did all already know there are wackos on the left as well as on the right.

No liberal with brains would do this; the fact that this guy is announcing his plans is giving cover to every Tea Partier who is tempted to carry a ridiculous or offensive sign on Thursday. Watch; every single one that ends up on the news will be attributed to this person and his efforts (and his sixty-five supporters). It's a really dumb move.

(If it's for real—Breitbart is not exactly an unimpeachable source.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cenedril_Gildinaur

An innovative idea - this article itself may be a false flag. And it will give cover to the tea party protesters who have justifiable worries about false flags in their midst.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<channels Baron Harkonnen>

Plans within plans within plans . . . bwa ha ha ha hahhhhh!

Well, I will wait with curiosity to see what happens on Thursday.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

From hal's article:
"Do I think every member of the tea party is a homophobe, racist or a moron? No, absolutely not," Levin said. "Do I think most of them are homophobes, racists or morons? Absolutely."
What an idiot this guy is. It is amazing that people like this don't realize that they do my harm to their supposed cause than good, just as the fringe members of the tea party do more harm to their cause than good. On that note, I saw this article from Fox News at another site:

Tea Party Rallies Remain a Cauldron for Conspiracy Theories
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*shrug*

I wonder if any of them realize how dumb they look to the rest of the world?
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

:agree:
Voronwë the Faithful

Infidel wrote:Oh, and it looks like the fictional racial slurs that were supposedly shouted a great number of times at the congressmen, but of which there is no hard evidence (despite a large presence of recording devices), were not even heard by the congressmen they were shouted at:
Katheleen Mckinley in this article notes:

"In fact, I can find no quotes from black Congressmen that said they heard protestors yelling racial slurs. See? Now it's just reported as truth. But here's a bit of truth you may have missed.

Rep. Lewis NEVER said that he himself heard the tea party protestors shouting racial slurs at him. Go ahead. Search through all the news stories. In not ONE is Rep. Lewis ever quoted. Recently he has said that he was overwhelmed with calls from news outlet to talk about the incident, but he refuses to."

She then links to an audio clip of Clyburn saying he did not hear any slurs.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kathleen-m ... z0kHf1ZGQh

hmm...
No hard evidence of racial slurs, congressmen did not actually say they heard the slurs, and Clyburn says he did not hear any racial slurs.
Is an apology to the tea party people in order?
Not only have several of the black congressmen (including Lewis) confirmed that they specifically heard the slurs, a white conservative congressman, Heath Shuler, a blue dog Democrat from North Carolina who voted against the health care reform bill, also confirms that he heard the slurs. Moreover, the video that Brietbart and others say show that the slurs did not happen actually was shot an hour later that the time the congressmen say they hear the slurs being shouted.

Wrong video of health protest spurs N-word feud

Shuler's evidence is particularly convincing, because he has every reason to disassociate himself from his more liberal colleagues. He comes from a very conservative district, and Republicans are engaged in a heated attempt to unseat him by claiming that he was undecided on the health care vote, despite his announcement days before the vote that he was voting against it. It is completely against his political interests to say that he heard the slurs, yet he is absolutely firm in saying that he did.

Do I think that this shows that the tea party movement is a racist movement or that most members of the tea party are racists? No, of course not. But I do find it extremely troubling that people have gone to such extraordinary lengths to try to discredit these assertions. It says something very disturbing about the current state of affairs in this country.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Of course there's something disturbing about the state of affairs in this country. This country is on the verge of economic collapse, with a possible revolution of the French instead of American variety following. Or a dictatorship. Both sides of the duopoly want to make sure they don't get the blame but are in positions of authority when all hell breaks loose, to the point where they're starting to forget that their first responsibility is to keep the freedom movement divided, that the Sheehans never find common cause with the Tea Parties.
-- Samuel Adams
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

This article at Big Journalism responds to the AP piece:
http://bigjournalism.com/jhoft/2010/04/ ... eard-slur/

(If you read your article carefully, you will note that Lewis does not confirm, his spokesman says it. He declined to speak to the AP. Which was the point made in the Newsbusters article I linked to.
Do I think that this shows that the tea party movement is a racist movement or that most members of the tea party are racists? No, of course not. But I do find it extremely troubling that people have gone to such extraordinary lengths to try to discredit these assertions. It says something very disturbing about the current state of affairs in this country.
Trying to discredit unproven assertions about supposed dispicable behavior is troubling? (I understand you are a lawyer. But I take it not a defense attorney? ;) )
More troubling than people who cry racism at the drop of a hat?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think Voronwë was referring to the way everyone leaped on a video shot well after the reported events occurred as evidence they never happened as troubling. It's sort of like claiming the rings around Saturn don't exist because you had your telescope pointed at Jupiter. Part of making observations is is using some kind of control to make sure you're observing the right thing. In the case of the video, either whoever was trying to use it as evidence was not very diligent (happens to the best of us) or completely dishonest (happens to the worst of us). Furthermore, you have to be careful when interpreting negative results. Not detected is not the same as not there.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Infidel wrote:Trying to discredit unproven assertions about supposed dispicable behavior is troubling? (I understand you are a lawyer. But I take it not a defense attorney? ;) )
More troubling than people who cry racism at the drop of a hat?
Racism is such a particularly sticky charge in the USA today that even when the charge is completely unfounded it tends to cling like a very sticky mud once thrown. Naturally people react rather strongly to the accusation. It's not a case of "doth protest too much" but a case of "if you don't protest it means you agree".

It is starting, slowly, ever so slowly, to lose some of its power because there are people who do cry racism at the drop of a hat. An ex girlfriend I had was fond of that accusation. If the waiter took a few extra minutes before getting to us to take our order, it was because the waiter was a racist. SERIOUSLY! Of course the fact that he waited on us at all is because I was at the table and he waited on the white guy. I guess I really do pass.

I, of course, was a racist, because I didn't see racism everywhere the way she did. I never did get around to telling her I am part latin. That's probably good because the racial relations between latins and blacks, apparently, from what she told me, are poor and that would have thrown yet more gas on the fire.
-- Samuel Adams
Voronwë the Faithful

Infidel, that article proves my point. It says that the AP and the black congressman "invented" a "phantom white man" who was "not there". But what they ignore is that Congressman Heath Shuler really does exist, and he really did say (not to the AP; to a local paper) that he was there walking with Cleaver, and that he heard the slurs. Interestingly, they don't actually say anywhere that they are accusing him of lying, only that the black congressman and "the media" are lying. And yet what they are saying is that he was lying not only about hearing the slurs, but even that he was there! And what is really crazy is that even though they say there are other videos, the one video that they actually post in the article in connection with their claim that he wasn't there is the same one that is from later in the day, which is not when he said that he was walking with Cleaver. Absolutely incredible.
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Dividing people is a very old tactic used by those who wish to seize or keep power. A divide people are less likely to mass and rail against bad leadership.

Caesar even said - Divide and Conquer.

While folk feud in this LEFT vs RIGHT B.S. they are not only being whittled down and more easily fenced-in, but robbed blind as well.
Pomthekie
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Nenochtoo wrote:Dividing people is a very old tactic used by those who wish to seize or keep power. A divide people are less likely to mass and rail against bad leadership.

While folk feud in this LEFT vs RIGHT B.S. they are not only being whittled down and more easily fenced-in, but robbed blind as well.
Hello and well said.
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

vison wrote:
Nenochtoo wrote:Dividing people is a very old tactic used by those who wish to seize or keep power. A divide people are less likely to mass and rail against bad leadership.

Hello and well said.
Hello.

This tactic was applied in what is now called America all through out the colonial period as well as Manifest Destiny.

Caesar applied it in conquering the Celtic Gaulish Tribes.
Pomthekie
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Well, it's good to see the media is concerned so much about all the bad stuff at political protests. I mean, it was and still is national news that congressmen thought they heard racial slurs from a crowd...

Where's the outrage over this:

http://biggovernment.com/jhoft/2010/04/ ... lc-dinner/

Here's google's list of news reporting on the incident:

http://news.google.com/news/story?pz=1& ... GlUO-jwX0M

Where is the AP? Where is the mainstream media? Why is this extremely violent political event not big news?

Oh right, it wasn't the RIGHT kind of racist violent types...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995