Ban on Gay Men's Blood

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

yovargas wrote:The regular HIV test does not detect the virus but the antibodies that the body produces in response to the virus. The test has a certain sensitivity level so the body needs to produce enough of the antibodies before the test can detect them. Many people have a detectable level of antibodies within a month of infection, most by three, and nearly 100% by six.

The test that directly tests for the virus is indeed more difficult and expensive, as well as taking much more time (a few weeks, iirc; antibody tests have been developed that can tell you if you're positive within 30 minutes). It is, to my understanding, usually only used if the first test is positive.

Just bit of information on the subject from memory.
I'm going to stop by the blood bank tomorrow and check on the current state of HIV testing. :) I am woefully behind.

However, it is true that the basic screening test is for the antibody to the virus, rather than the virus itself. The test tends to be very sensitive, but not as specific; in other words, there are a lot of false positives, but few false negatives. It's the combination you want in a screening test.

If the first antibody test was positive, a secondary test was performed, for the antibody again, which is VERY specific. This will weed out false negatives and confirm positives.

The reason I deferred to Wampus on the testing stuff is that I haven't kept up with the antigen testing... testing for the virus itself. It sounded like perhaps she had done some research, so I'm willing to go with that. If the antigen test is in place, her statement "testing every donation is the only way to ensure safety. Apparently that's already done for HIV, so gay men certainly should be allowed to donate" is totally true.

But back in the day, testing was NOT perfect, because testing for the antigen itself was not commonly done. Hence the screening for high risk behaviors. Testing was not good enough to do the best job possible protecting blood product recipients from the virus, without "banning whole sectors of the population from donating". That may well be an important part of keeping our blood supply safe. Those populations should be screened on high risk behavior, strictly. This shouldn't be a social statement, but a fact-based medical decision.

There was (and apparently is!) an antigen test available, but it was not commonly used for screening for HIV, due to costs, I believe... and time! A test that takes weeks before the blood can be used for donations is useless... red blood cells only "live" outside the body for something like 21 days. After that, the blood's pretty useless. Accurate, timely testing is the goal.

The scary part of not having an antigen test as part of the battery of tests performed is that people tend to be the most "antigenic", or full of virus, directly after they are infected. This is a period before the commonly tested-for antibodies can be made to a detectable level (by a person with a competent immune system). So these folks are not going to be "caught" by any screening test for antibodies... they don't have them, yet... they are walking HIV virus factories, but they feel, act, and look fine. Scary stuff.

(The other time people tend to be very antigenic with negative antibody levels is at the endpoint of their disease... HIV attacks the immune system, after all. These people would NOT otherwise be healthy, though.)

Anyway, I will check tomorrow, if I have time. I walk by that blood bank every day! :)
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I didn't stop by to check the blood bank lab. :( Oops. I meant to... I even thought about it several times... and then I didn't. I will eventually... I promise.

Meanwhile, I came back from vacation to find that Mary Todd has passed away. Post mortem investigation apparently has confirmed her diagnosis, and the only risk factor she had was the transfusion she had in England several years ago. She probably did die from that transfusion, even though it took some time.

I surely hope we can protect others from contaminated blood products better than we protected her. I absolutely hope that we keep trying to keep the blood supply helpful, not lethal.

I believe we need to keep the reasons for refusing to accept a donation focused on pure science, realistic risk calculations, and demand... not social commentary. However, I also believe that if the steps we have to take are upsetting to those unable to donate, their disappointment, while regrettable, is fleeting. Mary Todd's life is gone. It's really hard to believe.

She never heard Wampus's music... apparently any noise or movement or light or anything was all but unbearable to her at the end. I can't imagine.

She will be very much missed. RIP, Mary Todd.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm sorry for your friend. :( What a terrible way to die.

As for HIV testing, I am a living example of the varieties that exist. :D My screening test came up positive for HIV twice for our local community blood center. My blood had to be taken to the next level, which was the Western-Blot (which tests more specifically for antibodies to HIV). The second time that was done, however, it was also inconclusive, and they had to do the DAT (direct antigen test) for HIV. That was negative, as it should have been since I have no risk factors other than being a lab tech (but not sticks or anything).

That type of testing is expensive, plain and simple. It's not cost effective for them to do this on everyone. And I am banned from donating blood because of this. (I don't have HIV, but if my screen pops up positive then they're obligated to go through the further, more expensive testing.)

BTW, I'd love to find out what protein, exactly, in my blood is interfering with the HIV antibody tests.

(ETA: I know I've told this before. Now I'm wondering if I told it earlier in this thread. :oops: Apologies for repeating myself if I did!)
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Anth - I stopped and started a couple of replies, but since I can't even approach your eloquence and especially *grace* with what I write, I'll just say: "I think I completely agree with you" instead. :bow:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

New acronym: ITICAWA.

Yes.

I am so sorry, Anthy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Thank you, guys. :hug: We're still reeling over here. She was only 53!!

I feel so badly for Karen, too. They have been together for so long, and been through so much...

ETA: I don't remember that story, Lali! I wonder what protein *IS* interferring? That is totally weird... Western Blots are not often equivocal. I had a positive screen for Hepatitis one time, but the confirmation test was negative. Testing is NOT perfect, by any means...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Anthriel wrote: ETA: I don't remember that story, Lali! I wonder what protein *IS* interferring? That is totally weird... Western Blots are not often equivocal. I had a positive screen for Hepatitis one time, but the confirmation test was negative. Testing is NOT perfect, by any means...
I know, and I'm glad I knew that, being a lab tech and all, when I got the Scary Letter from the community blood center (that I had to sign for at the post office and, of course, don't you know, I got the notice on a Friday afternoon and had to wait till Monday to go retrieve it :rage: ).

The research I've done (which isn't extensive, since there's not much out there) indicates these results most often happen with multiparous women, so it might be something related to that. Or possibly breastfeeding. Maybe I was producing some funky antibodies at the time?

When I had my blood tested elsewhere (at the lab where I used to work), it would come back negative on the screening test. That made me feel better, and, yet, has to make you wonder. :wimper:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I got the notice on a Friday afternoon
All really heinous mail arrives too late on Fridays to do anything about but fret and fume over the weekend. It's USPS policy.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Sometimes, it will arrive on a Saturday as well.

My personal favorites though, are the bills that arrive a couple days before they're due. One particularly punchy doctor's office first sent me a bill dangerously close to the due date and then called me to demand their money the day the payment was due. :roll:
When you can do nothing what can you do?