Is Fox the most trusted U.S. TV news source?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Good for NewsCorps.

---------------
Meanwhile (though not specifically to do with Fox being most trusted):
http://www.gallup.com/poll/143267/Distr ... -High.aspx
For the fourth straight year, the majority of Americans say they have little or no trust in the mass media to report the news fully, accurately, and fairly. The 57% who now say this is a record high by one percentage point.
Nearly half of Americans (48%) say the media are too liberal, tying the high end of the narrow 44% to 48% range recorded over the past decade. One-third say the media are just about right while 15% say they are too conservative.
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

On election night FOX beats CNN, MSNBC and the Big Three (ABC, NBC and CBS) in ratings:
http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/fox-new ... e-ratings/
Meanwhile:
"Results Are In And Many Agree: Fox News Offered More Balanced Election Coverage Than MSNBC"
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/results-are- ... han-msnbc/

In MSNBC related news, the latter day Edward R. Murrow, Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, has been indefinitely suspended without pay for contributing money to Democrat candidates in violation of NBC rules.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

But . . . FOX is mainstream media. It's part of probably the biggest media congomerate in the world.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I feel obliged to point out that the only reason the same thing hasn't happened to a lot of the talking heads at Fox News is that Fox News has no such policy. Hannity and others donate openly to Republican candidates and in fact help them fundraise on the air during their shows (letting them give their website addresses and ask for donations from viewers).

Keith Olbermann is in trouble because there was a policy to violate. I'm not defending him, just pointing out the lower standards at Fox.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Infidel wrote:In MSNBC related news, the latter day Edward R. Murrow, Keith Olbermann of MSNBC, has been indefinitely suspended without pay for contributing money to Democrat candidates in violation of NBC rules.
Just to be correct, he was suspended not for making the contributions, but for failing to clear them first with NBC news. I'd be curious to know whether Fox News has a similar rule. And, of course, it should be pointed out that Fox News itself has donated literally millions to Republican candidates.

In addition, it is my personal opinion that it is insulting Edward R. Murrow's memory to refer to Keith Olbermann as "latter day Edward R. Murrow."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I felt certain it was snark, Voronwë. I sometimes watch Olbermann's show but would never call him that in a million years.

Edit: Link to Sean Hannity's recent political contributions.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Primula Baggins wrote:I feel obliged to point out that the only reason the same thing hasn't happened to a lot of the talking heads at Fox News is that Fox News has no such policy. Hannity and others donate openly to Republican candidates and in fact help them fundraise on the air during their shows (letting them give their website addresses and ask for donations from viewers).
As does MSNBC:
MSNBC Pres. Asks For Examples Of On-Air Fund-raising; Inevitably, Examples Found
http://www.mediaite.com/online/msnbc-pr ... les-found/
Keith Olbermann is in trouble because there was a policy to violate. I'm not defending him, just pointing out the lower standards at Fox.
Olbermann's Got Company -- Hannity & Scarborough Donated, Too![Scarborough is on MSNBC]
however:
News Corp policy does permit employees to make donations in a personal capacity. Fox News has long said it considers Hannity, similar to Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck, a host not a news anchor or journalist. A search of federal campaign disclosures found no Fox News on-air journalists such as Shepard Smith to have made contributions or donations.
http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-pos ... -too-22312
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Just to be correct, he was suspended not for making the contributions, but for failing to clear them first with NBC news. I'd be curious to know whether Fox News has a similar rule.

See above.
And, of course, it should be pointed out that Fox News itself has donated literally millions to Republican candidates.
Link?
In addition, it is my personal opinion that it is insulting Edward R. Murrow's memory to refer to Keith Olbermann as "latter day Edward R. Murrow."

Snark based on Olbermann using Murrow's tag line of 'good night and good luck'. Though Olbermann did win an Edward R. Murrow Award.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3080446/
Last edited by Infidel on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

See the first post on this page.
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Primula Baggins wrote:See the first post on this page.
For what?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Yes I saw that, and as I said in response to it, good for News Corp.

However, I wanted a link subtantiating Voronwë's statement that "Fox News itself has donated literally millions to Republican candidates" (Fox News is merely a subsidiary of News Corp). Then perhaps we can see how much Fox itself has donated to Democrats as well, and draw a camparison with the others.

Although, if what Voronwë actually meant was News Corp has donated millions to Republicans, then it should be pointed out (to borrow a phrase), that News Corp & subsidiaries associated donations total over 11 million dollars since 1989, and they have favored Democrats by 58% to 41% per the latest FEC data.
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Olbermann's punishment will have consisted of having a 4 day weekend forced upon him, and he will be back tomorrow:
http://www.nbcuniversal.presscentre.com ... ClientID=7

Youtube video of MSNBC's Rachel Maddoe ('we are not a political operation, Fox is') decrying Fox News for letting candidates try to raise funds ('those nickles and dimes') on the air, interspersed with clips of candidates doing exactly the samething on MSNBC (including Maddow's show):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjXBx9- ... r_embedded
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Infidel wrote:Olbermann's punishment will have consisted of having a 4 day weekend forced upon him, and he will be back tomorrow
Why bother. This is a classic case of trying to have your cake and eat it too on the part of NBC. Rather disappointing, to put it mildly.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Infidel wrote:Olbermann's punishment will have consisted of having a 4 day weekend forced upon him, and he will be back tomorrow
Why bother. This is a classic case of trying to have your cake and eat it too on the part of NBC. Rather disappointing, to put it mildly.
I'm interested in how it first came out, since the usual campaign finance sites don't have Olbermann's donations listed even yet, nor could I find it in a FEC search (though those are more difficult).
Maybe a publicity stunt of some sort.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Politico reported it.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Infidel

Post by Infidel »

Yes, and Politico says "POLITICO discovered the Olbermann donation to Grijalva in a Federal Election Commission filing". But an FEC search using "Olbermann" only turns up a donation to Ron Paul by someone named John Olbermann from Florida in 07.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It wouldn't surprise me if Politico was being less than honest about the source of their information.