Anti-Semitism is alive and well and living in America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Makes you wonder how some people can bear to look themselves in the mirror.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm a highly biased observer, but I think that if comments degenerate to that degree, there just shouldn't be comments. That kind of hatefulness tends to crowd out any attempt at an honest, seriously-intentioned discussion. If you can't produce the good, don't let yourself foster the bad.

The problem is that modding beyond the level of a word filter takes human intelligence, responsibly and fairly applied. Which takes time and requires that the moderator actually care. Furthermore, it's a subjective and flawed process and involves giving moderators power that can be abused.

But on principle, pretty much, I don't read boards or comments that aren't modded at all. On some sites very little is left in the smoking ruins but trolls feeding each other whatever loathsome ichor it is they feed on.

ETA: On small sites where the posters either have a strong common interest or know each other well, and where the topics are rarely of interest to trolls, self-moderation works. Not 100% of the time, but usually close. HoF is an example, IMO.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

It's interesting, I didn't read all the comments, and in fact did not see any hateful comments, so I'll have to believe the rest of you that they are there.

What I did see in the small sample I read was people who believed the accusations of those that promote class warfare. That is, there is a rich class that runs everything and they are to be despised.

The fact that this has been confused with the long held anti-Semitic beliefs that they are money-lenders and rich (although that is no doubt rooted in factual history) is another issue.

It seems odd to me that so many people are opposed to people forming opinions based on a persons ethnicity... but those same people have no problem with enormous groups forming opinions based on how much persons (or companies) have been able to succeed monetarily.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I split off the side discussion about (I guess) Wealth and Relative Morality
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."