Health Care Reform

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Health Care Reform

Post by Jude »

Insolent pup.

Edited to add some random emoticons to soften the zinger:
=:) :twisted: :wooper: :horse: :P
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Let's hear it for rampant, cyclical cynicism! :toast:

ETA: AND insolent pups! :sunny: :toast:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The older he gets, he says.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Two bits of news from this morning on my FB feed, both of them designed to spike outrage...

http://politicops.com/price-better-budg ... e-quickly/

http://conservativefighters.com/news/mu ... orrifying/

Check them out...CAREFULLY!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Did you check them out? What did you notice?
Hidden text.
They are both FAKE NEWS. The bottom one is from a taxi driver strike, and the top one form the fake/satirical news site, Newslo. Unlike the Onion, Newslo mixes just enough real news in with their articles that they can easily be believed by the unwary. The tipoff in the riot video is the man waving a Belgian flag, and the lack of Muslim dress on any of the men.

I think I'm going to get off the computer, and do something USEFUL with my day!! :rage:

But OMG, doesn't this just show how easily propoganda can spread?? Dozens of people were commenting on both news items with real, murderous outrage! One person said of the Price video, "He's lucky I don't have a gun!" and, of course, the other video had people saying "RUN THEM DOWN!!"
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I googled "Tom Price". Snopes was the 3rd link. It has "FALSE" written in big red letters at the top. It takes a few seconds to debunk the story. It's so easy yet no one in those hundreds of commenters seems to have done it.

But.......for those couple minutes were I wasn't sure if it was real or not, I sure was ready to launch into ranting outrage.

:neutral:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Anthy, to answer your question as to why I'm afraid I won't be able to get health insurance, it's because we most likely wouldn't be able to afford it. With Trumpcare, we'd be looking at $14–15K just for Tom, and well over that for me because of my pre-existing condition. So, there would be insurance to which we would theoretically have "access," but even with a decent income, we would almost certainly not be able to afford it. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for Tom's job to last as long as it has to—certainly until we're both 65.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

...and the bill's been pulled.

That was fun. :roll:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

lol politics
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It would be hilarious to observe from New Zealand. Or Mars.

Let's just keep in mind that a big part of why they couldn't pass it was because it wasn't vicious enough.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Well, the Freedom Caucus didn't like it because it wasn't vicious enough. So they made it more vicious to win over at least some of their votes and that made the moderates bail and still didn't appease enough of the Freedom Caucus to make up the loss in moderates.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

True.

At 538, a Perry Bacon, Jr. tweeted:
A coalition of mavericks, centrists, freedom-caucusers and people who want to get reelected killed Ryan/Trumpcare.

Link to How Trump Lost On Health Care
The position of the line break in my Twitter app caused me a brief moment of concern for Ryan...

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Heard a Representative on NPR try really hard to blame the Democrats while simultaneously admitting his party couldn't work with itself. His claim was the Democrats didn't offer any ideas. While that's true, it's also true that the GOP in principle didn't actually need the Dems. In practice, though, the GOP can't work with itself.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Considering most Americans apparently did not want the stupid bill, the correct term would be to credit Democrats, not blame them.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Right. I've seen Representatives tweet something similar to this from my district:

"2,811 oppose the Republican plan
2 favor the plan"

Note that my Representative has posted his opposition to the Don'tCare act on his website, so the citizens felt less compulsion to call him.

In conclusion: call your Representatives. :)

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:Heard a Representative on NPR try really hard to blame the Democrats while simultaneously admitting his party couldn't work with itself. His claim was the Democrats didn't offer any ideas. While that's true, it's also true that the GOP in principle didn't actually need the Dems. In practice, though, the GOP can't work with itself.
I heard that same interview. The truth is that the Democrats have introduced a bill (which of course will go nowhere) to amend the ACA to add a public option. That would address the very problem that GOP representative from Alabama was discussing: the fact that in some states including his own, there are limited choices available in the exchanges because many insurers have pulled out. If there was a public option, people would be guaranteed of having at least one good option. But no one in the GOP will agree to that, even the more moderate members who balked at the AHCA (the bill that just got billed) because it went too far.

My worry is that now Trump and Price (the HHS secretary) will do everything possible to sabotage the ACA by not promoting the exchanges and imposing damaging regulations. But it is unclear whether that will be enough to make the exchanges completely fail.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga wrote:It would be hilarious to observe from New Zealand. Or Mars.

Let's just keep in mind that a big part of why they couldn't pass it was because it wasn't vicious enough.
I'm observing it from almost-New Zealand; no hilarity here - hysteria is closer to it. Maybe Mars is right.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[Uruk-voice]It looks like meat is back on the menu, boys![/Uruk-voice]

Repeal of Affordable Care Act Is Back on Agenda, Republicans Say
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Turumarth

Post by Turumarth »

It never ceases to amaze me that Paul Ryan (and others) consider themselves followers of Jesus Christ and yet are admirers of Ayn Rand at the same time.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, I don't recall Jesus extolling the virtues of selfishness anywhere in the Bible... :roll: