Arrested for public intoxication in a bar

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Erunáme

Arrested for public intoxication in a bar

Post by Erunáme »

This story first appeared on our local news on March 17.

Link (has video of the story)

It's come on the news again tonight. Link

Local law officials and the TABC have been placing undercover officers in bars to monitor the patrons. In one night, 30 people were arrested for public intoxication whilst in a bar. The law officials say this is to help decrease the DWI (Drinking While Intoxicated) incidents.

This makes me absolutely livid, especially after some more information was reported tonight. Apparently some of the arrested individuals were arrested in a hotel bar and they were actually staying at that hotel which means they were more than likely NOT going to be doing any driving. I'd be willing to bet that they took advantage of the fact they didn't have to drive and drank more because they could.

The law officials say going out and having some drinks isn't a problem, but they will arrest you if you are dangerous to others. Now when I watched the video, I saw people who could walk themselves about without stumbling, could talk easily, weren't being violent...just normal people out having a fun time. It aggravates me so much that these people were arrested before actually doing anything bad. Unfortunately under Texas law, public intoxication is illegal, but I think arresting people in a bar is going too far. According to the law officials I would get arrested if I went out with my husband and got drunk even though he would have been my designated driver. How absolutely absurd!

To me, this really does seems like arresting someone before they commit a crime since the law officials are doing this to curb DWI rates. If they wanted to do this, they need to arrest people who were actually going to drive. They should put the undercover officers in the bar to monitor people and radio officers outside whenever an enebriated person exits the bar. Once the person starts his or her car and actually starts to drive it, then arrest the person.

This just seems like prohibition going too far. :rage: People should have the right to get drunk as long as they don't hurt someone else.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You're right, Eru, that is infuriating. :x
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

You mean there are states with more backwards laws than Missouri! :shock:

*is somehow relieved*

;)
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Local law officials
You mean the revenue enhancement squad.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

That's absolutely ridiculous. :shock: Really over the top.

Just this morning, I read a discussion about this on another site, and that's what practically everybody else said as well.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

It sounds like the policing equivalent of stealing candy from babies or shooting fish in a barrel. Nice to know that the jails are that empty.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

How long has this law been in effect? Can bar owners do anything about this? You'd think it would hurt their business.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

It sounds like yet another case of people conflating "anti-drunk driving" with "anti-drinking". Has TABC been talking to MADD and SADD, or merely channeling them?
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Wilma wrote:How long has this law been in effect?
I don't know.
Can bar owners do anything about this?
Appeal to their congressman/woman to get the law changed....and that's not likely to happen.
You'd think it would hurt their business.
It very well may affect the hotels. Conventions aren't going to want to go to a city where the people attending can easily be arrested. Better to go to Las Vegas or some place more tolerable.

This made the Today Show this morning. Public outrage is getting pretty noisy around here.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not sure that the law is the problem. Most jurisdictions have laws against public intoxication. It sounds like it's the way the law is being enforced that is the problem
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

According to the judges and attorneys that have been interviewed, the law officials aren't doing anything wrong. :|
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Most jurisdictions have laws against public intoxication.
Bars are "public"?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Most bars are public and fall under local jurisdiction. They have to apply for liquor licenses etc from the town or city.
Some places like the Elks, Knights of Columbus etc are private clubs and have a different set of laws they have to follow.
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:
Most jurisdictions have laws against public intoxication.
Bars are "public"?
<wonders whether he really wants to go there :upsidedown:>

Bars would certainly be considered "public accommodations" which, as Holby has already pointed out, are subject to a higher degree of regulation then a private club like the Elk's Lodge. I'm sure you recall our discussion about regulating smoking in a bar, which I strongly support. But interpreting public intoxication laws to allow law enforcement to arrest people for nothing more then having a few drinks in a bar (without any evidence that they are disturbing the peace, threatening harm to themselves or others or otherwise breaking the law) strains the limits of credulity, in my not so humble professional opinion.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

There are all kinds of injustices performed in the name of public safety.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin