Mr Brown Goes to Washington...

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Elentári

Mr Brown Goes to Washington...

Post by Elentári »

Just interested to know what America thinks of Gordon Brown and how he came across in his recent visit.

Over here he is still dodging questions about his handling of the economy whilst Chancellor of the Exchequer, and his mission has been "unkindly summarised as an attempt to bolster his own fortunes by somehow associating himself with Mr Obama's superstar glamour."

This is the BBC's response to his visit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7924876.stm

And this is how the Guardian reported his visit:
A brave speechmaker challenges his audience and a cautious one flatters them. Gordon Brown spoke to Congress yesterday with all the daring of a lover clutching a bunch of slightly wilted flowers. He said very little that was new, and nothing that was shocking, but he at least looked at home in a way he rarely does in Britain.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... n-congress
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I totally agree with The Guardian's comment.

Pretty speeches about rebuilding the world are all very well ;) but I'm looking forward to seeing how Brown's policies -- and Obama's -- will actually do something to help this colossal mess.

Looking forward to our US poster's comments. ;)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think us Irish neighbours have the same problem. Like you, we had a fairly charismatic leader through the good times, and now when we really need a leader we have the most uninspiring muppet in the country!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Good topic Elen - so far Mr. Brown has not made much of a splash on this side of the pond. Far more media attention has been given to other things than the Brown visit. No real hard news is coming from it.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

SF - I thought as much from reports over here - he seems to still be overshadowed by the ghost of Blair ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

:rofl: I read this as Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

I don't think Mr. Brown had a big impact, excecpt our stock market was up yesterday and down today. So maybe he should stay here.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Padme - glad you got the pun ;)
~Diana Cortes
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Oh I got it. I don't know if the corelation between the two fits, but I got it. ;)
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I heard some sound bites of the speech during news reports and all the sound bites were bits of cliche.

He needs a new speechwriter.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Brown is a fairly pedestrian leader all around in my view - Tony Blair gets more media attention as ex-PM than he gets as PM. That's why his visit to Washington drew so little attention. And that's one reason why it seems very likely that he'll be replaced by David Cameron at the next election.