A question about inflation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Griffon64

A question about inflation

Post by Griffon64 »

Three or so years ago, Zimbabwe's inflation rate was at around 1000%, and I thought is was incredibly high.

Today, the inflation rate is 2.2 million percent.

While I goggled at this ( http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/Zim ... 79,00.html ) Faramond asked, is there even a difference between 1000% and a million percent for practical purposes?

So, a question for those who know economics better than I do: at which point if any does the numbers become meaningless?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I dunno- but I have a German banknote from 1921 or 22- 1000 Reichsmarks - which was then overprinted 'Ein Milliard" - one (US) billion. Apparently two or three would buy a pack of cigarettes. Workers were paid twice a day, and would immediately rush out to buy potatoes, coal, a wheelbarrowload of ax-handles: anything to unload the worthless paper before it depreciated further.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

hmm well I'm definitely no economist nor am I even close to being very knowledgeable in the field but just thinking about it practically I'd have to say that it does make a difference. I mean if you think about it 1000% inflation means things are doubling in price maybe (very roughly) once a month but 2.2 million percent would mean that things are doubling in price in (very roughly again) half an hour! That's a big difference in my opinion...
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Very good point, superwizard.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Swiz hit it on the nose. The easiest way to get a handle on the impact of inflation is to ask how fast prices are doubling.

But the economy demonetizes long before you reach either of those points because money ceases to be a reliable medium of exchange. People revert to barter, and I would guess that only a small fraction of all of Zimbabwe's exchanges are actually taking place in the money economy. Wages as such become meaningless; what you can trade is everything.

In the US, we had double-digit inflation during the 1970's and even at such low rates the demonetization was measurable, to the extent that it was of concern to the IRS since it is almost impossible to get people to declare barter transactions as income.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Well here is another question.
Isn't our entire financial or economic system based on the value of gold? The stuff we shuffle back and forth, or in this day and age wire transactions, are all backed by the value of gold. We can earn more paper or wired money, but isn't our limit based on how much gold we mine? Or in this case, isn't that how the inflation skyrocketed in Zimbabwe?
Where and how does the GDP play into this? Or the GNP?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I might be wrong, but I think we left the gold standard under FDR. Now we're backed by faith.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

So Ft Knox is a hoax? :shock:
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

River wrote:I might be wrong, but I think we left the gold standard under FDR. Now we're backed by faith.
That's basically it. My $10 note has value because I know that I can give it to someone in exchange for something, and they'll be willing to take it for the same reason. The Government can simply print money as it thinks it needs it (within the limits of how fast the economy is actually growing, otherwise you get Zimbabwe's problem).
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I heard on NPR yesterday that Zimbabwe is going to address their hyper-inflation problem by chopping a half-dozen zeros off the end of their money. Seriously. So, does that mean the dude who just sold his chicken for 50 million zimbablars is now gazillionaire?

Seriously?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

No, I think it means he has 50 zimbablars. Which will buy him a chicken for a couple of hours, and then won't.

What a nightmare.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Griff said they were chopping ten zeros off. Maybe it is six, though.

It's a lot of zeros either way.

This isn't the first time they've chopped zeros off the currency, I think.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

To answer the question asked above, we suspended the convertibility of dollars to gold in 1968, and then left the gold standard in 1971. What River is recalling is the 1946 transition to the Bretton Woods system, where other countries in the system could issue their money supply against US dollar reserves instead of gold, with the understanding that the dollars could be converted to gold at any time. That's the system that went terminally ill in 1968, died in 1971 and was buried in 1973.

Countries still hold gold in their reserves but it doesn't determine their money supply. If you have a dishonest government there's nothing to stop them from just printing currency. That's what causes the inflation.

Chopping zeros is a typical way to try to halt inflation. You issue a new currency with a lower nominal value and start all over again. I don't know of anywhere that that strategy, all by itself, has worked. As long as the treasury is printing money willy-nilly, the inflation is going to make the new money as worthless as the old. There's probably tremendous velocity of the currency - people get paid and convert their zimbablars to some other stable currency as fast as they can, doubtless on the black market. Whoever is buying the zimbablars is probably spending them on goods as fast as they can, forward buying and hoarding or else trading the goods out immediately on the black market to something that can be hoarded. There can actually appear to be a shortage of currency from the banks' point of view, and this encourages the Treasury or the central bank (if they have one) to keep chasing its tail. Hyperinflationary dynamics are interesting and not much studied considering the havoc they wreak, but you don't see inflation at this level very often.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

For the record, I made up the term "zimbablar". :D The currency of Zimbabwe is the dollar. Or, as Jed Clampett would say, the million dollar.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

tinwë, lol! I have no idea what the currency in zimbabwe is called. I could have guess 'lira' I suppose, since about 50 countries call their currency that.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Thanks!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Right before I got to tinwë's clarifying post I had to ask Griff if the currency was really called Zimbablars!

Griff says they usually call it the Zim Dollar informally. When they're not calling it toilet paper, I guess. :|
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

The article I linked to in the first post said they took off 10 zeroes!

This is not the first or even the second time the currency has been re-valued in this way, I believe. But yes, it counts for nothing much since the government keeps printing new bills.