The Kindergarchy

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

The Kindergarchy

Post by ArathornJax »

In the following article,
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/P ... k.asp?pg=1

the auhtor's main thought is that we are suffocating our children by being overly involved in their lives. This denies them of experiences then that they really need in order to grow up and become independent, productive members of society. Here are the author's final thoughts as a tease perhaps to get through the article.
"When such seismic shifts in the culture as that represented by the rise of Kindergarchy take hold, there isn't much anyone can do but wait for things to work themselves out. My own hope is that the absurdity of current arrangements will in time be felt, and people will gradually realize the foolishness of continuing to lavish so much painstaking attention on their children. When that time comes, children will be allowed to relax, no longer under threat of suffocation by love from their parents, and grow up more on their own. Only then will parents once again be able to live their own lives, free to concentrate on their work, life's adult pleasures, and those responsibilities that fall well outside the prison of the permanent kindergarten they have themselves erected and have been forced to live in as hostages."
Are we too involved in the lives of our children or is this "shift" one that needed to happen? Are parents sacrificing too little of themselves or too much? Is there a balance? Not wanting to bring religion into this, but I do think of Eccl. 3:1-8 that "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven:" In the article I do believe we see not only the author's bias but also a cultural shift in how parents have change in parenting children. What changes have been positive and which have been negative? I'd really like to listen to, read your responses to this article. I'll share my own thoughts on this later.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.