Media Bias?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The problem, Prim, is Olbermann's sanctimonious, hypocritical, and completely dishonest claim that he keeps his 'editorial' and 'anchor' roles completely separate- hence the quote (from KO himself) about "straight down the middle."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:Media Bias? Interesting video.

I don't know exactly what the significance of that would really be but that really is genuinely fascinating. It does raise some pretty intriguing questions about, well, about a lot of stuff.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

solicitr wrote:The problem, Prim, is Olbermann's sanctimonious, hypocritical, and completely dishonest claim that he keeps his 'editorial' and 'anchor' roles completely separate- hence the quote (from KO himself) about "straight down the middle."
He certainly doesn't do that. But I feel compelled to point out that very few television commentators and journalists do, and that far from all the bias is liberal.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

and that far from all the bias is liberal.
Shall we wait and see how many reporters clap, chant and cheer in St Paul next week? 8)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

How many did in Denver?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Lots.

And of course this:
Keith Olbermann: "For 42 minutes not a sour note and spellbinding throughout in way usually reserved for the creations of fiction. An extraordinary political statement....I'd love to find something to criticize about it. You got anything?"

Matthews: "No. You know I've been criticized for saying he inspires me and to hell with my critics!"
Peggy Noonan called the MSM coverage, especially MSNBC's, a "fatuous suckup." Hit the nail on the head.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Link to "lots"?
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I remember reading about it, but It's tough to find links now... No one is talking about Obama...

:D
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Keith, Chris, why can't political reporters be cynical old bastards who treat every campaign speech as so much bullhockey? You guys are *supposed* to be critical. It's your *job.* God knows Obama told enough whoppers to fill a page at factcheck.org. So why weren't you on it?

(Incidentally, when even Bill Maher says you're too biased towards the left, you might have a problem).
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*yawn*

Still beating the same old dead horse, I see. Jeez.

Just got back from Alaska. You guys down there in the Lower 48 think it's part of the USA, I know you do.

But I wonder. :D
Dig deeper.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Okay, now MSNBC is *really* out of control:

During the McCain-Palin press conference yesterday, MSNBC ran a screen banner under the Breaking News head- and I quote-

"How many houses does Palin add to the ticket?"

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Well, whats the answer? How many houses does she add to the ticket? And the new total is ....................?????
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I doubt she's got more than one or two.

Edit: The salary of the governor of Alaska was $125,000 in 2007; her husband works for BP but in a non-managerial job, and as a fisherman in the summer. Gosh, she ought to think about voting for Obama rather than McCain; she'd get a much better tax cut with Obama. :D
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

The houses are important because........ :P

*Animosity towards the rich...again* :scratch:
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The question is, why the hell did someone at the Olbermann Network deem this 'breaking news?' Why is MSNBC pushing DNC talking points? This is not commentary, not an opinion piece, not even an analysis- it's just a blatant snark disguised as "news."

SF: Why would you care how many houses?
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

SF: Why would you care how many houses?
Because as an American citizen I take a deep and penetrating interest in the men and women who want to lead us for the next four years. I consider it part of my obligation as a citizen.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's not that there's anything wrong with a very wealthy man owning multiple houses; it's that he's unable to remember how many he owns. Not a lot of voters can really identify.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Okay, here we go again. :roll:
Points finger towards Mortgage discussion. :)
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

The spin, Prim, the spin. Cindy as effective trustee of her family's money has her name on the deeds of several houses in which family members reside, including the ranch in Sedona where she and John live.

Since McCain and his wife keep their finances rigorously separate, it's unsurprising that he would not be familiar with the financial details of the Hensley Estate.

But I admit he could have answered the question better.