Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Anthriel wrote:
Alatar, Whistler, Anthriel - I think abortion is invariably a kind of tragedy resulting from the pressure of circumstances. I am uneasy even about my support for early pregnancy abortion rights. For me it's a question of the lesser of two evils, but please know that I completely understand and respect your positions.

Actually, Ethel, I didn't state my position. :)

I was just letting Alatar know that I was glad he stepped in with his opinion, even though his take on this problem is not the one likely to be the most popular. His thoughts do echo the thoughts of many, many people, though, and I'm glad he felt strong enough to share them.

That's all. :sunny:
No, love, you didn't. I was trying to be inclusive, that's all. Please believe me when I say that I totally and completely understand people objecting to abortion. I do not want to feel that people who take that stance are my enemies. If they think they are, they are mistaken. There is nothing I want more than a world where every child born is wanted and loved. :)
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

This subject does tend to make people feel nervous about drawing lines, doesn't it?

:hug: Ethel
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

vison, thanks for explaining that.

Impenitent, it's good to have an outside-the-U.S. perspective.

Thank you Impenitent, Sass and Ethel for sharing such personal information.

Thank you tolkienpurist for those helpful references.
IdylleSeethes wrote:It is wrong for us to assume that the family is a threat to the individual.

No one has expressed the assumption that the family is a threat to the individual. However, it can be the case in unfortunate circumstances that parents are a threat to their children and that husbands are a threat to their wives, or that in some other respect the relationship cannot support the sharing of such information. It is for the sake of these cases that minors should not be compelled to inform parents about a pregnancy, nor wives their husbands.

I know quite a few people whose careers have consisted of studying problems with no hope of direct experience. That does not mean their opinions are worthless.
Men's opinions about how to eliminate the need for abortions are by no means worthless, and I did not suggest they were. I said it made me angry when men made moral pronouncements about something they will never have to face themselves. It would be like me deliverying a lecture about the morally appropriate ways to respond to the experience of racism in America to a black audience. Can you imagine the reaction of that audience?

Please don't discount us.
I don't discount any man who approaches the abortion discussion with a compassion and humility informed by the awareness and understanding that pregnancy and its impact are something he can never fully comprehend and that the laws pertaining to abortion will never be brought to bear upon him.
IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

Cerin,
It is for the sake of these cases that minors should not be compelled to inform parents about a pregnancy, nor wives their husbands.
Which is no reason to throw out normal legal procedure. They should be required to show cause.
It would be like me deliverying a lecture about the morally appropriate ways to respond to the experience of racism in America to a black audience. Can you imagine the reaction of that audience?
This too is an emotional view, not a rational one. You must agree that what racial progress we have had was the result of cooperation and respect on both sides. Otherwise we would still be stuck on separate but equal. This discussion is about the laws of this country. About half of the electorate and most of the elected are male, so it doesn't seem in your interest to dismiss us from the discussion.
I don't discount any man who approaches the abortion discussion with a compassion and humility informed by the awareness and understanding that pregnancy and its impact are something he can never fully comprehend and that the laws pertaining to abortion will never be brought to bear upon him.
I'm not sure of which part you think we are unaware. Most things for which laws are passed are outside of the direct experience of most people. It isn't sufficient excuse to deprive them of their rights. That sounds like 2 cents on the dollar, or if you want to stick with the racial metaphor - I won't settle for the back of the bus either.

Since I am both genetically incapable of being either compassionate or humble and basking in the glow of ignorance, I will get off the bus, leave this to those who know certainly better, and wait for the royal edict to be posted.

Well there's one guy who refuses to be matronized.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Cerin: It would be like me deliverying a lecture about the morally appropriate ways to respond to the experience of racism in America to a black audience. Can you imagine the reaction of that audience?

Or like you lecturing about how abortion needs to be a right even when you've never had the horrifying experience of being aborted in the womb?

An absurd, incendiary point?

Of course.

The position that men should refrain from logically approaching the morality of abortion because they can never be pregnant is just as absurd and incendiary.

There are gaps in all of our experiences. For all of us there are certain truths we can never know. Reason and communication allow us to proceed in the world in spite of this. I'm not going to stand idle while a Shibboleth of Pregnancy is set up in this thread.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Hmm, I'm afraid this is turning into male/female mudwrestling. :shock:

I also think it's because the men are talking about apples and the women are talking about oranges.
IdylleSeethes wrote:Cerin,
It would be like me deliverying a lecture about the morally appropriate ways to respond to the experience of racism in America to a black audience. Can you imagine the reaction of that audience?
This too is an emotional view, not a rational one. You must agree that what racial progress we have had was the result of cooperation and respect on both sides. Otherwise we would still be stuck on separate but equal. This discussion is about the laws of this country. About half of the electorate and most of the elected are male, so it doesn't seem in your interest to dismiss us from the discussion.

... Most things for which laws are passed are outside of the direct experience of most people.

Yes, most things for which laws are passed are outside of the direct experience of most people. That is why is behooves us to listen carefully to those who will be most directly effected. Otherwise we really haven't got a clue.

I think what the women are saying is not that men's opinions (and morals and principles) are irrelevant or unwanted in this discussion, rather that women are the only ones qualified to discuss the feeling that accompanies this choice. My husband was present in the delivery room when both my daughters were born, and I can assure you that his experience was different from mine, and his feelings about it differed accordingly.

The example that Cerin brought is a good one, imo. Naturally the Black community cannot overcome racism unless the White community cooperates, because it is the White community that is racist! So Idylle's point is well taken. (The Black community is racist too, but in a different way.) It may be possible and desirable for Whites to comment on the morality of certain paths toward equality, but they cannot dictate to a Black person what it feels like to experience racism. They certainly cannot say what a Black person ought to feel.

I think the anticipation of an ought statement is where women become overly sensitive as men enter the abortion discussion. It has not happened here (all our fine men are genetically capable of humility and compassion) but it happens often enough to make women hypersensitive - that a man will dictate to her what she ought to feel. This dictation is usually delivered first by Dad and then by hubby, and one must weigh a woman's hypersensitivity to this against the backdrop of centuries of [cough] oppression by fathers and husbands. Not that all fathers and husbands are oppressive, but all had the legal right to be so, and that continued for centuries. In similar manner, a Black person's feelings about racism are not independent of the length of time this has been going on.

I might have accepted from my father or my husband their advice as to how I should feel about a job problem or a tiff with a friend because these are things they likely experienced; but I would never have accepted their advice as to how I should feel about an abortion because they would never have experienced one. I might accept their advice about what to do, but not what to feel.

A fine distinction, but a very important one, imo.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Jn: I think what the women are saying is not that men's opinions (and morals and principles) are irrelevant or unwanted in this discussion, rather that women are the only ones qualified to discuss the feeling that accompanies this choice.

Do the feelings that accompany the choice have anything really to do with this issue? I know many people think they do. People always think their feelings have something to do with the issue, and almost always they are wrong.

Personal feelings have nothing to do with the legal issues of Roe v. Wade,, and they have nothing to do with the philosophical issue of the morality of abortion.

Making this discussion about feelings is an attempt to freeze half the people out of this thread, in my opinion.

One nasty truth about making "feelings" the issue is that they can be used by any side to turn anyone into a victim. There are many ways to make men out to be victims in abortion as well. They're all more or less stupid, except the women here can't challenge them because they don't know what it's like to have the feelings of the man in the situation!

What is this thread really about, I wonder?
IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

Jnyusa,

If this thread were about the feelings surrounding having had or having contemplated an abortion, I would agree and I would offer my condolences and sympathy to those who have faced the decision, no matter what the outcome. That is a stress I will never experience, but I can understand that it is painful.

This thread was ostensibly about the impact the new arrangement in the Court might have on the law and the related legal issues.

I still offer my sympathy to those who have experienced this. I apologize to everyone for adding to the stress. It seems to be difficult to discuss, even for those who are not at odds over the primary issue.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Faramond: Do the feelings that accompany the choice have anything really to do with this issue? ... People always think their feelings have something to do with the issue, and almost always they are wrong. ... Personal feelings have nothing to do with the legal issues of Roe v. Wade, and they have nothing to do with the philosophical issue of the morality of abortion.

I think that feelings are relevant in cases where so many very personal things are affected - health, family integrity, economic well-being, cultural upbringing.

The one comparable issue I can think of, where I was directly involved, had to do with adoption laws in the state of PA. For the longest time adoption records were sealed in perpetuity in all 50 states. Then the laws were challenged and five states ruled that records could not be withheld from an adult under their state constitutions. It then became possible for an adult adoptee to obtain their birth certificate in those five states. Pennsylvania was one of them.

It was kind of an open-record by default situation, because the Constitutions did not say adults have a right to their birth certificate but rather guaranteed civil right for all adults, and no legislation had ever made an exception for adoptees.

One state representative in PA decided that this was bad, bad, bad. He had no adopted children of his own, so I wonder why he cared at all, but the cynic in my has suspicions. He launched a campaign to introduce a law in PA that would prohibit adopted children from obtaining their birth certificates. He and his team hit the publicity circuit. They wanted their arguments to be convincing, so someone had to speak on behalf of the birth mothers and why they would want the law changed, but are of course too ashamed of their sinfulness to appear in public and talk about it. So representing the birth mother's point of view on the publicity team was a male social worker and two nuns. :)

I was involved in this because I was an adoptee and had been born in Ohio, which was also a state with newly opened records. To repay the Adoptees Liberty Association for the help they had given me, I agreed to help adults who had been born in Pennsylvania. Naturally I followed with great interest the debate over changing the law. There was little debate actually, because such a small percentage of the population is affected by adoption laws.

But I have to tell you that the male social worker and the two nuns got the position of the birth mother so wrong it made me throw things the TV and set fire to the newspaper. There they sat, imagining 'her' shame and graciously speaking on 'her' behalf so 'she' would not have to appear in public; when what she was feeling was nothing close to shame, and multiple birth mothers had lobbied against this law and would have appeared on TV if anyone had let them. Birth mothers and adopted children overwhelmingly favor open records ... and the reasons all have to do with feelings. And those feelings impact mental health, sociopathy, and even abortion rates. (Believe it or not, there are some women who would adopt instead of abort if only they could be sure of having some contact with the child afterwards, eventually. This is not rationality - it's pure feeling.)

Well, the law passed, and it was not challenged by the State supreme court. So secret daddy got what he wanted.

But there was another little piece to this. I wrote to the state rep. who started this campaign and gave him accurate statistics showing the percentage of birth parents who favor open records and the fact that the four remaining states with open records had the lowest abortion rates in the country, not the highest. I also told him about my own experience of finding my birth parents, and that I did not think anyone would walk so carefully around the privacy and feelings of a birth parent as an adopted child would. Certainly no social worker was qualified to make this decision in the abstract.

He wrote back to me and told me I should feel lucky I hadn't been aborted myself and be content with that. He also told me that as a state rep. it was his duty to follow his conscience and his principle rather than the wishes of his constituents which are always at variance with one another. I would have written back and asked him what he thought the word 'representative' in 'state representative' meant, but I think I realized at that point that I was dealing with a barbarian and did not waste any more breath on him.

There is a morality to this issue, and also a purely legal angle. (Adoption and Slavery are the only two contracts in American history that are signed in childhood but extend into majority.) But this issue cannot be decided justly without a fair accounting for the emotional health of the people involved.

It also happens that in my opinion abortion law and adoption law are closely related in the hidden societal premises they contain. As they stand now, I view both of them as surreptitious property laws, and that has got to change.

Making this discussion about feelings is an attempt to freeze half the people out of this thread, in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree, Faramond. The feelings of men and women are both important but they are not symmetric; and I think that is what needs to be recognized, identified ... when we speak of our feelings about this issue we are not both speaking about the same experience.

... because they don't know what it's like to have the feelings of the man in the situation!

Yes, exactly. That is also correct. Men have to speak to that themselves, and we have to listen.

What I am trying to ... clarify? ... is that where feelings are concerned, this is one issue where men and women cannot speak on behalf of each other. We each have to express our differing experience of the issue, and we each have to listen.

Jn
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

The abortion issue is a mess because feelings are presented as arguments.

It appears I have nothing else worth saying.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I would just like to point out that I have not once in this thread denigrated any woman who had an abortion. I have, however, objected to the trivialisation of abortion to the point where it is used to destroy everything except a "perfect child". I referred to "off the rail" children, and that was and is my main concern.

One final thought:

No woman here will ever have the decision to abort their child taken out of their hands. No woman here will ever have their right to know their own child taken from them. No woman here will ever have their future family decided by another.

You are too quick to judge.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Alatar wrote: I have, however, objected to the trivialisation of abortion to the point where it is used to destroy everything except a "perfect child". I referred to "off the rail" children, and that was and is my main concern.
Alatar, do you think that abortion has been trivialized to a great extent? Are a great number of people using abortion to destroy everything but "the perfect child" or is this a fear of what might happen?
Are statistics showing more abortions due to the perceived "imperfectness" of the fetus?

I have only anecdotal evidence. The few people I have known personally who have chosen to abort due to fetal abnormalities have anguished and prayed over the decision. And the fetal abnormalities were hardly simple ones. In one case, the baby would have been born without a brain; in another case, the child had a horrible genetic disorder which had already led to the death (at 5 weeks) of a prior child.

There will always be women (and men) who have little regard for life - who treat pregnancy (and abortion) as merely an "incovenience." I do not think the vast majority of women do so.

PS: I am not sure what "off-the-rail" children means.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Faramond, if feelings must be entirely out of the discussion, what factors do you think are relevant to the discussion?

Alatar, "No woman here will ever have their future family decided by another.

See, I think that the fear of this has been ingrained in women, Alatar, and that many of us continue to respond to a potential for injustice, even if we ourselves are probably beyond its reach.

Jn
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Alatar wrote:I would just like to point out that I have not once in this thread denigrated any woman who had an abortion.
Alatar wrote:I'm afraid I believe that's a decision they made when they chose to get pregnant. Of course, in todays "tailor fitted" world, people can't be expected to put up with anything less than the ideal. Frankly I find the idea that a mothers comfort level trumps a childs right to life appalling and horrific. In the case of Rape, I can see where there is an argument to be made, but when we get into the realms of convenience and "off-the-rail" babies [note added: the only possibilities provided for a woman's actions other than rape], my blood starts to boil.
Denigrate = "to cast aspersions on"

By the way:
No woman here will ever have the decision to abort their child taken out of their hands.
Even assuming this is true (and you are assuming a whole lot about the background and future situations of the women belonging to thie forum), we can still advocate logically OR respond emotionally on behalf of those other woman who may. Some of whom are our friends and extended family members.
Do the feelings that accompany the choice have anything really to do with this issue?
Well, yes they do, Faramond. If you wish, frame it in terms of Roe, and the notion that, due to an unenumerated right based on human dignity (but attaching to the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment), a woman has a fundamental right to decide whether or not to bear or beget a child. Frame it in terms of the Goldberg concurrence in Griswold, which provided some of the momentum leading into Roe - a concurrence which expressed the view that the framers of the Constitution were trying to express textually the fundamental values that needed protection, but presupposed the necessity of leading a meaningful, dignified human life - and that nontextual liberties necessary to need such a life fall under the ambit of the 9th Amendment.

A woman's notion of her own "human dignity" (as relates to terminating her pregnancy) - a woman's notion of a meaningful, dignified human life - these concepts and the moral ramifications thereof are surely central to the legal question of whether the Court's decisions that made these concepts relevant should be upheld. And these concepts demand an examination of women's feelings on the matter. Women's feelings, more so than men's. Which is not to exclude men from the discussion, but to point out that they cannot provide firsthand input as to women's feelings (another truism), and should therefore listen to rather than dismiss these feelings, so as to get the input needed to reach their own moral conclusions (which no woman here has denied that men have the ability and the right to reach).
Last edited by nerdanel on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And yet you have no interest in listening to mens feelings? Hypocritical?
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Well, sometimes when people announce repeatedly that they are leaving a discussion, I might be less mentally prepared, subsequently, to hear of their feelings repeatedly.

But, that small point aside, I can't find the portion in my posts where I say I don't want to hear about men's feelings. Perhaps you can point it out to me.

By the way, it is generally a bad idea to start accusing people of hypocrisy, as it lowers the quality of subsequent discussions, which tend to become arguments about whether the person you have accused is a hypocrite. Better to point out the logical contradiction you've found in someone's actions, and allow it to speak for itself.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I can't find the portion in my posts where I announce repeatedly that I am leaving the discussion. Perhaps you can point it out to me. I seem to recall stating that I did not intend joining the discussion, and later giving a "final thought". I'm sorry if responding to comments directed at me earns your derision.

Well, fine then. Enoughs enough. You're not interested in hearing from the other 50% of us who do despite your protestations, have an interest in the foetus being carried by a woman, since our only way of procreating is with a woman and her womb. The constant mantra here that only women have the right to discuss their own bodies, their own feelings and THEIR OWN FOETUS is hypocritical and offensive. It takes two to tango, and the foetus being carried by a woman is also a fathers child. You would all do well to remember that.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

My apologies. You made a post for the sole purpose of stating you would NOT be joining in the discussion, then joined in the discussion, then announced you were leaving the discussion, then posted repeatedly after your departure. I recalled your phrasing wrongly.

In any case.

Let's examine the relevance of men's feelings in the particular manner you'd like. So, the fetus is the creation of two people. So, both people have feelings about the fetus.

How would you like to make the man's feelings on this point legally relevant (since, as Faramond has reminded us, this is a discussion about the legal ramifications of abortion)? Are you suggesting that if a man has feelings for the fetus carried in a woman's womb, and the woman does not share those feelings, she should nonetheless have to be pregnant for nine months due to the man's feelings? So that the man can fulfill a desire to procreate? I just want to be clear on whether or not that is your position.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I honestly feel like I am reading a different thread then Alatar, Idylle and Faramond are. I don't in any way get the sense that anyone is saying that only women can talk about abortion, or that abortion only effects women. What I have seen in this discussion, is that only women have thus far discussed how abortion has effected them personally. tp's question is a valid one, though expressed in a tone of greater annoyance then she might normally use. Rather then feeling threatened and getting defensive, can't we make an effort to try to explain why we feel the way that we do, so that perhaps we can find a greater degree of understanding and bridge some of the gulfs that this highly tricky and emotional subject has raised? After all, we are all friends here, we all have respect for each other. I know it is difficult not to be reactive when one feels that one is being excluded or denigrated unfairly, but I beg of everyone to make that extra effort. This is one subject where people really need to make that extra effort, to avoid sarcastic remarks, to really look at the meaning of what is being said and not fall victim to immediate feelings of defensiveness or feeling threatened.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Fair enough. Consider this my last post on the issue.