For the Lawyers here, a question:

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
vison
Best friends forever

For the Lawyers here, a question:

Post by vison »

Not sure if the laws of the US would be the same, but for the lawyers on this forum, a question: Recently a BC man learned that someone had sold his house and that the buyer had obtained a mortgage on it. He learned of this when he didn't get his Property Assessment from the tax department. The title had been fraudulently transferred to a crook.

I've read of similar cases, and the upshot is that the mortgage must be repaid and in some cases the rightful owner loses the house.

It seems to me that the "rights" of the mortgage grantor override the right of the proper owner even when the mortgage was obtained fraudulently. Why?
Dig deeper.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

It may be to do with the system of land registration in British Columbia: some systems of registration make the registered title absolutely conclusive.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

the people with the money and the lawyers always have more power. They stack the deck in their favor and they always win.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It may be peculiar to any given jurisdiction, don't know. It happens in Ontario, too. I just read about such a case and the rightful owner had to spend $50,000 in legal fees to get her house back. And in the end, the court held that the fraudulent mortgage had to be repaid but the bank in question wrote it off as a sort of goodwill gesture.
Dig deeper.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Well, Vison, I'm not a property lawyer, and have tried to forget everything I learned in law school, but I vaguely recall deeds and it is complex.

The main problem has to do with "wild deeds", where somebody sold to somebody else, but nobody bothered to inform the recording office of the sale. What do you do about subsequent good faith purchasers where the owner has not recorded their deed? There are a number of solutions out there, at least in the U.S., saying that first to record wins, no matter if the first to record was the bad faith purchaser, or a solution where the first to record wins, only if they were a good faith purchaser (had no notice of the prior sale).

Anyways, you've now competely exhausted my memories.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Jeez, Ellienor, I don't know!!!!

But in the two cases I just read about, the rightful owner had proper title recorded at the Land Registry Office. And the newspaper article today said that one way of protecting yourself is to get a copy of the title deed - because when you get the copy, it is recorded on the orginal that someone has a copy and anyone wanting to sell the property, or to buy it I guess, they would have to have both copies. Or something like that.

It just seems weird to me that if a mortage company or bank lends money without being certain of the title, that it isn't their problem instead of the rightful owner's.
Dig deeper.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Hm, so the problem seems to be that somebody forged the proper owner's signature to title documents recording a sale, recorded properly at the land office, and got the mortgage. Therefore, the mortgagor had no notice that this signature was obtained fraudulently. That's messy. Here's where a property lawyer needs to step in. :D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I don't have time right now to do it, but maybe tomorrow I'll link to the news stories.

It seems very wrong to me, at any rate.
Dig deeper.