Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: 50 Shades of Gay

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Same-sex, whole-milk marriage: 50 Shades of Gay

Post by River »

Yes. It is very difficult to amend the US Constitution and it takes a huge groundswell of popular support to get one through. This is why Walker's reactionary reaction has a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting off the ground. But it makes him look good to the fraction of the population he's pandering to today (and to his sponsors) so he's going to run his mouth and the press is going to pick it up because nothing sells media like outrage.

ETA: Did a little bit of reading. There was talk of a marriage amendment during the GWB Administration. If it couldn't gain the traction to go anywhere then, it's definitely not happening now. There is no momentum in that direction. Just a lot of vitriol.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ted Cruz has twice introduced such an amendment in the House. It has as much chance of passing the amendment that some progressives have pushed to overturn Citizens United. In other words, none.

The last amendment to be ratified was the 27th, providing that "No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of representatives shall have intervened." It was ratified on May 7, 1992. Of course, it was originally proposed on September 25, 1789, along with the ten that became the Bill of Rights. The last amendment that was proposed and ratified in reasonably short time was the 26th, which established the voting age at 18. It was passed by Congress on March 23, 1971 and ratified July 1, 1971
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Brought to you by President Barak "I'm not running for anything ever again" Obama.

I bet Fox News is entertaining tonight.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:Brought to you by President Barak "I'm not running for anything ever again" Obama.
He also shouted down a heckler a couple days ago and led a church in song today (and if that wasn't moving I don't know what is). Man's on a roll. I wish he'd brought that side of himself out earlier.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435379735.296446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435379735.296446.jpg (129.13 KiB) Viewed 6774 times

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

He did, River - In 2008, he did.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What's with all the Christian leaders who call for deferring to biblical definition of marriage? Are they seriously proposing to legalize polygamy?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

TEARS:

xpost with V-man: LOL at Mississippi
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Not just Mississippi, according to the article. There are a number of southern states that our considering taking marriage totally out of the hands of the government and just having the church be in charge of it. This is still going to get messy.

On a brighter note: First Same-Sex Couple Marries in Dallas County After 50-Year Wait
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Frelga wrote:What's with all the Christian leaders who call for deferring to biblical definition of marriage? Are they seriously proposing to legalize polygamy?
The idea does at least have a certain parity with the sorts of economic policies their candidates support.

But more seriously, the individuals who are currently filling my Facebook feed with spite and vitriol aren't even pretending anymore that their goal was ever anything other than enforcing their personal religious beliefs on the nation through law. Which pretty much proves that the right decision was made here.
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

Frelga wrote:What's with all the Christian leaders who call for deferring to biblical definition of marriage? Are they seriously proposing to legalize polygamy?
It's funny you say that, because my Facebook feed has conservative Christians contrasting "biblical" marriage to same-sex marriage and this SCOTUS decision. They're saying that the latter (as well as bestial, incestual, pedophiliac, and polygamous) "marriages" do not fit the true, biblical definition of marriage (one man and one woman for the purpose of creating offspring): though liberals will no doubt try to legalize those other "marriages" as well soon enough. :scratch:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Um, I can think of one rather famous polygamous marriage in the OT...and no one involved seemed to think they weren't doing right by God by being in this marriage. If memory serves, God actually sanctioned the arrangement by providing babies when babies were prayed for.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Did they actually READ the Bible? Unless they mean the Romans around the time of the events of the Christian Gospels, but they were pagans and not the model you want to pick if you want to condemn homosexual relationships.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Now my dreams of marrying Stephen Colbert are this much closer to reality. :love:

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ian McKellen is one of the grand marshals of today's parade in NYC.

---------------
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And Derek Jacobi is the other. What grand old men they both are!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

A chant heard today at the parade in New York:
“What do we want?”
“Marriage equality!”
“When did we get it?”
“Friday!”
:D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D

---------------