You, too, can help science a.k.a. galaxy quest

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

You, too, can help science a.k.a. galaxy quest

Post by Impenitent »

Taken directly from a KnowledgeNews missive:

Astronomers at Oxford University are enlisting ordinary internet users to help them unravel intergalactic mysteries--by peering into corners of the universe that no human has seen before. Why? Because your brain is better than any computer at sorting galaxies.

The project, called "Galaxy Zoo," aims to categorize a million galaxies out beyond the Milky Way. That's just a sliver of the more than 100 billion galaxies thought to fill the observable universe. But it would still be the biggest-ever galactic census and a major astronomical advance.

Basically, astronomers classify galaxies either as "elliptical" or "spiral" (or as mysteriously "irregular"). But they're not sure how elliptical and spiral galaxies are related, or how their relationship might bear on the galactic lifecycle. As the Galaxy Zoo website puts it:

"Astronomers have spent many decades trying to measure basic galaxy properties such as age, mass, or dustiness that may give us some clues as to how they formed and evolved and what precisely the connection between spiral and elliptical galaxies is. However, most studies of galaxies so far have only looked at a few dozen or hundred galaxies in the nearby universe."

Now, thanks to cool new technology--and to long-term scanning efforts like the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS)--astronomers have many more galaxies to study. But they also have a problem: how to look at them all. That's where you come in.

The Galaxy Zoo team is hoping to find 30,000 people to log in to their website, peruse pictures of galaxies from the SDSS, and determine whether the galaxies are elliptical or spiral--and, if spiral, which way they seem to be spinning. Don't worry if you don't yet know the difference between an elliptical and a spiral. Galaxy Zoo promises on-the-job training through a brief tutorial.

What's in it for you? A chance to help science advance--and to see something truly unique. As one team member notes, "these images were taken by a robotic telescope and processed automatically, so the odds are that when you log on, that first galaxy you see will be one that no human has seen before."

Plus, you get the joy of outperforming even the coolest astronomical computer systems--because, when it comes to pattern recognition, your brain puts them to shame. As the folks at Galaxy Zoo put it, "any computer program we write to sort our galaxies into categories would do a reasonable job, but it would also inevitably throw out the unusual, the weird, and the wonderful. To rescue these interesting systems which have a story to tell, we need you."

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cool!
I judged a few. That's pretty neat. A nice way to kill some time at work. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I judged some, too. How could I pass up the possibility of being the first human to see a whole galaxy? My geeky toes are tingling.

Thanks, Impy!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow. Am gonna get onto this as soon as I get back to PA. Thanks Imp, :kiss:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Very cool, Imp!

I'm going to share this with my kids. And my friends! And my students!
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I knew it would go down well in this crowd. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Very cool, Impish!

I took a small part in something similar, when Amazon sponsored a search for a prominent database guru who was missing at sea on his yacht. They let people look at the satellite pictures and highlight anything that looked like the yacht. Unfortunately, the man was never found. :(
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Ack! It's very hard to stop. Like potato chips ...
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I am soooooo up for this.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This is fun. :)

What do you think this one is:
Stuff!

I'm voting ellipse way more than spiral. Making me wonder if that's right.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I see two nuclei, so it could be a barred spiral, but I don't see any arm structure.

I don't know which kinds of galaxies are more common. Spirals tend to evolve into ellipses, and a collision usually produces an ellipse—at least, that's what I remember from Astronomy 202.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I see some possible arms. They're reeeeally faint sometimes.

This one's rad!

You think that blue one's coming in for a merger?
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's so hard to judge, since they could be millions of lightyears apart and just in almost the same direction, so they appear to overlap.

I've tried to call these mergers only when I can see that the galaxies seem to be affecting each other's shape. In this image, that hasn't happened.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Reminds me a little bit of the SETI@home thing.
Wonder if I am still a member there?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Holby, Seti has totally changed. However, you can still transfer your account over to the new server, and get credit for your hours.

Here's the TORC page:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_dis ... amid=32621

Unfortunately, the server is down for maintenance at the moment. However, here is the Seti homepage, where you can download the new version.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It is like SETI@home, except that it's our hardware they want, not our computers' hardware. Kind of fun.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Only problem is, my hardware is short circuiting.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<pat pat pat>

Have some nice soothing tea, Holby dear.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Long Island Ice Tea? :drool:

As we peer past beeellions and beeelions of starz......

100 billion divided by 30,000

naught x naught + naught
carry the naught

:scratch:

Nope. Don't think I can do that many.
And with my luck I would only find odd ones.