U.S. Election Night 2008

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I see.

No baby yet; for a while this morning it seemed imminent, but looks like it was a false alarm. Can't be much longer, though.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:hug:

Deep breaths, dave!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Maybe the announcement that Obama has won the election will be what puts her into labor. There'd be something poetic about that. :D Of course, then we might have to name the kid Barack. Or Hussein. ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dave, you need your own baby thread! So your wife is not in labor yet?

Good luck! A President only lasts for years, but a baby is for life. :P :hug:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

:rofl:

First kid, Dave LF? Probably will be a few days past the due date, statistically speaking.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Yup. The due date was Halloween, so today or tomorrow would be about right.

Sorry to derail the tread. On topic, exit polls are starting to leak, and apparently suggest big Obama wins in PA and FL (no links yet; just hearsay). Of course, we all know how reliable exit polls are.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

They tend to oversample Democrats (I imagine because they’re more likely to be conducted at larger booths). That said, I still expect him to win both states.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I voted around 1 p.m. and was shocked to find no line whatsoever. But the poll workers said they had been slammed early, and well over half of the precinct's registered voters had already voted either today or in early voting.

And I was so looking forward to reading some Pratchett in line. :(
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Nothing from Indiana as yet, but we have a few thousand votes from small booths in Kentucky that favour McCain 60-38.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

First results are in. McCain leads Obama 59% to 40% in Kentucky with .000000001% of the polls reporting. :P

yeah xposted with LM.
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

I voted at 3:00 and there was only about a 5 minute wait. I would have went in earlier, but I wanted to take the five year old that I work with with me. He was also excited to go and I even let him touch the "Next" button on the screen. He's easily amused, like me. :D
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Obama has a slight early lead in Indiana with 1% of precincts reporting, surprising given that rural counties in the Republican-leaning parts of the state are reporting first.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I lived in Indiana for 6 years and am near the Michigan/Indiana border now. It's an unusual place. I'm not surprised that there are a lot of rural Obama supporters, but I will be if it stays that close.

Edit: IN county comparison courtesy of 538:
Steuben: Kerry 34%, Obama 42%
DeKalb: Kerry 31%, Obama 38%
Knox: Kerry 36%, Obama 54%
Marshall: Kerry 31%, Obama 50%
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

GA, VA and SC (!) are too close to call based on exit polling. The networks have been able to call KY for McCain and VT for Obama, however. McCain has taken a slight lead in IN, but the state is still way too close to call.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

KY has been called for McCain, and VT for Obama. IN is too close to call; all others that closed at 7 EST are too early to call. So says NBC, anyway.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

McCain's victory margin in KY is currently much lower than projected.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Kentucky reporting 51-48 for McCain with 10% of precincts. McCain was always going to win it, but I didn't expect Obama to get that close!

Indiana now shows 50-49 for McCain with 3% reporting.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

(Dave, my first kid came 14 days late! I'll hope your baby is less stubborn. :) )
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

(me too!)

McCain has an early lead in VA with 2 precincts reporting. One is in Appalachia, the other appears to be just outside Richmond.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What 538 is saying about Indiana:
Just looking at some of the places where we have results in so far. Obama is substantially outperforming Kerry -- which is what he needs to do to win the state, of course, but the differences are pretty substantial.

Steuben: Kerry 34%, Obama 42%
DeKalb: Kerry 31%, Obama 38%
Knox: Kerry 36%, Obama 54%
Marshall: Kerry 31%, Obama 50%
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude