The 2008 Presidential Campaign: What Happened and Why?

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I'm not asking you to present the whole article here, I wouldn't read it then either. I'm not asking you to quote anything from the article in fact. I'm asking you to prove a point that you claim the article proves, with facts you can get from anywhere... the article or elsewhere. I will not believe the conclusion of the article. You have to convince me.

You are refusing to do so.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Dave_LF wrote:I think what hal must mean is that all the media in the world except Fox News are liberal compared to him. Which I suppose might actually be correct. For the record, I also might as well say that bias does not imply falsehood and lack of bias does not imply truth.
Well, since I'm only slightly right of center, you may be right.

But I can't really stand watching FOX either, they have so many left wing people on there spewing the talking points of the day it gets annoying.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

halplm wrote:yov, popularity is awful in judging quality, but is entirely appropriate in knowing what people want to watch.
Which I don't think is unbiased reporting. People want to watch "news" that in entertaining and many don't care about it's accuracy. Don't underestimate the willful ignorance of the general population. I think a news organization has an obligation to give people the NEWS - whether they "want" it or not.
FOX is to the far right of the media, but is centrist to the political spectrum in the US. Thus, the rest of the media is biased to the left.
I do not think that FOX is centrist to the political spectrum. It seems quite right-leaning to me. Why do you think it is centrist?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

JewelSong wrote:
halplm wrote:yov, popularity is awful in judging quality, but is entirely appropriate in knowing what people want to watch.
Which I don't think is unbiased reporting. People want to watch "news" that in entertaining and many don't care about it's accuracy. Don't underestimate the willful ignorance of the general population. I think a news organization has an obligation to give people the NEWS - whether they "want" it or not.
FOX is to the far right of the media, but is centrist to the political spectrum in the US. Thus, the rest of the media is biased to the left.
I do not think that FOX is centrist to the political spectrum. It seems quite right-leaning to me. Why do you think it is centrist?
Um, the study I linked for one reason... but also becuase when I wach it, they tend to have one person from each side discuss stuff. They also don't look extremely upset (or extremely happy, but that doesn't happen anywhere) when republicans win on election day. They don't have anchors talk about "tingly" feelings when they talk about Obama... etc.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

halplm wrote: They also don't look extremely upset (or extremely happy, but that doesn't happen anywhere) when republicans win on election day. They don't have anchors talk about "tingly" feelings when they talk about Obama... etc.
Well, as I said, I am in the UK and haven't watched FOX for a while - so I will give it a go when I am home again in December. But, in the past, I have found the FOX news programs very over-the-top and as, I said, sensationalist. Like watching a soap opera or something. I do not find the reporters to be calm or subdued at all. And again, they seem to focus on one or two small things and make that the entire story.

But part of why I prefer to get my news in print is this very thing. It is harder to appear unbiased on the TV, I think.

PS: Which anchor(s) talked about "tingly" feelings? And when?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Chris Matthews of MSNBC said something like that during the talking-heads segment after an Obama speech last February. He was widely mocked for it on the left as well as on the right, BTW.

Link with video

He's not an MSNBC anchor, he's the host of Hardball.

Edit to correct month
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

JewelSong wrote: But, in the past, I have found the FOX news programs very over-the-top and as, I said, sensationalist. Like watching a soap opera or something. I do not find the reporters to be calm or subdued at all. And again, they seem to focus on one or two small things and make that the entire story.
I've noticed that in a lot of televised news. It doesn't matter which network it is. It even infects the websites. Infotainment drives me nuts.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I find Fox News to be quite biased and fairly annoying to watch mostly for the reason Jewel stated...too sensationalist. Fox certainly does distort truths and more. One only has to tune into the Daily Show, Colbert Report or Keith Olberman to see that. Yes I realise they're all liberal, but when you play actual clips from Fox News, it shows itself for what it is.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Proving something is distorted by known distorters who pull things out of context for the purpose of comedy?

:scratch:

And no one is claiming there aren't biased people ON Fox news, there are lots, on both sides. Thus balance is achieved.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Last time I checked, Countdown wasn't a comedy show.

Whilst Stewart and Colbert are funny, I think they do a great service by exposing the lies and utter ridiculousness of TV news and politicians.
And no one is claiming there aren't biased people ON Fox news, there are lots, on both sides. Thus balance is achieved.
Funny, anytime I've seen it, I've not noticed much of a liberal viewpoint.

Thank God for the BBC which seems to do a much better job of reporting the facts without much slant.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

What are the liberal shows on FOX?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

hal, I don't think that you read the study that you linked which I pulled quotes from. It does not find Fox centrist, it even says a particular show is right of center.

I think this debate is going nowhere. If a person making a claim isn't backing up the claim, but asking that others prove his or her claim wrong, then it isn't honest debate.

I couldn't name a liberal show on Fox, but then I couldn't name a conservative show on MSNBC.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Morning Joe.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Exactly Prim. And how many hours is that on from Monday through Friday?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*can't name any show on any TV news channel*

*is proud of self*

8)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

"Morning Joe" - the conservative show on MSNBC hosted by former Republican congressman Joe Scarborough, in on for three full new hours each day from Monday through Friday for a total of 15 individual hours.

Chris Matthews - a liberal on MSNBC - is on for five new hours each week and is repeated the same day for five hours.

Keith Olbermann- probably the most liberal on MSNBC - is on for five new hours each week and is repeated the same day for five hours.

Rachel Maddow - a liberal - is on for five new hours each week and her show is repeated the same day for another five hours.

The proportion between liberal and conservative shows is perfectly balanced at 15 new hours each.

What does FOX have in that regard? Who balances Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity with their own liberal show?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

**joins yovargas in the Happy Corner
When you can do nothing what can you do?
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

sauronsfinger wrote:The proportion between liberal and conservative shows is perfectly balanced at 15 new hours each.
Am I missing something really obvious (I don't watch any TV, like yov), or does your description say that the three liberal pundits actually receive twice as much airtime (30 hours, collectively) as the single conservative pundit (15 hours) on MSNBC? I don't really feel too invested in the discussion on this point, and I am liberal, but it seems somehow less than accurate to describe such a thing as "perfectly balanced."
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think he was saying that there are three liberals with one-hour-a-day shows and one conservative with a three-hours-a-day show so each "side" (cuz, you know, there's exactly two sides to anything in the world) gets three hours. I know nothing about this (nor do I care) just clarifying how I read it.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists