All Talked Out - Debates Over - Who Won?

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I think not caring and thinking it's no-good just makes the problem worse.
I agree but I don't fall into that category. Holding people responsible, expecting better performance, less pork, less politics and not being laissez-faire about the government is not "not caring".

People are really tired of the last eigth years of this administration and with good reason. Personally I am tired with most of them and for a lot longer. I didn't wake up cynical one day. I look around me and see what is going on and it makes me angry and it makes me angrier that we have come to accept such poor standards.

That isn't to say everything is wrong with the government or all pols are teh evil, but I am really tired of us doing little in the way of true change.
Click that Mad As Hell link in my sig and watch that scene from that stupid 30 year old movie. Tell what isn't still relevant today all these years later.

I am well aware of the lifelong pols we have around here. I have never experienced a day that didn't have a Kennedy as a Senator other than the short time Benjamin A. Smith kept the seat warm for Teddy. That is a big part of the reason I want term limits.

Honestly the way the Bailout thing went down made me ashamed of everyone on both sides of the aisle. It made me ashamed of our government.

I am not meaning to be overly cynical or negative, I am just reacting to what has been a lifelong unacceptable level of unfairness, greed, corruption and not being fairly represented by the system.

I am sure there are pockets of the country that have their idosyncracies and downsides, some more than others, but I don't for one second believe that the country as a whole has been given a fair shake. Maybe if we voice our displeasure enough and take some action we can affect some change. I have been sending emails to the Senators and keeping up to date on what is going on around us and trying to do something. I know it isn't enough for me to be pissed, the whole country needs to voice its displeasure and see if we can't genuinely affect some change. I am tired of watching the nastiness. I am as mad as hell about it and I wish there were enough groundswell from coast to coast to wake people up and show the powers that be they too are mad as hell.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Click the links and zoom in a bit until you can see the street layouts. Consider where and when Boston was built in relation to most of the rest of the country and what the technology was when the streets were laid out.

http://tinyurl.com/5oa39q

http://tinyurl.com/6pd9bd

edited to fix urls
Last edited by Holbytla on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's some comparison.

Before I saw the Phoenix map, Boston looked absolutely normal to me. I couldn't figure out what you were pointing to.

Probably because I'm used to this too:

Bangalore

and my first exposure to a city outside India was this:

Mainz

Edited to fix links. Sorry Prim, I always forget how to do the word-link thing and it makes me lazy
Last edited by Inanna on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Would you guys mind putting those links behind a cut? They're stretching the page. I'd do it if I had time, but I don't right now.

Edit: Thanks a million! :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Heh, Boston looks simple in comparison to London. :P
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Yeah and they drive on the wrong side of the road to boot.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I spent a day wandering around in Boston in June. It really wasn't that bad.

London, OTOH... :shock:

:shock: to Edinburgh too.
When you can do nothing what can you do?