The 2008 Presidential Campaign (was Obama Phenomenon 2)

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Primula Baggins wrote:You've said people who post negative things about Palin's record are liars.
No, I have siad people who have posted FALSE things about Palin are liars. That is significantly different.

You and vison seem to think I claim negative things are lies or hate, but I'm only talking about the FALSE things.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Hal, you love to throw around the word LIE.

Please show us where every item on that list has been refuted.

Or some of us are going to coclude that there is plenty of lying going on here and its you who is doing it when you claim that these things have already been resolved and laid to rest.

Lets talk about dollars and cents real issues and leave behind all the pontificating for once.

Maybe we can start with
1) show that her statements supporting the Bridge to Nowhere are false and never were uttered by here.
How about it Hal? Can we deal in facts instead of righteous indignation?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

:agree:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Here's an informative link on the Bridge to Nowhere, from today's Wall Street Journal (covering items 1 and 2 on sf's list):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122090791901411709.html

ETA: Also, on earmarks, from the linked article:
At a rally today, Sen. McCain again asserted that Sen. Obama has requested nearly a billion in earmarks. In fact, the Illinois senator requested $311 million last year, according to the Associated Press, and none this year. In comparison, Gov. Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

At a rally today, Sen. McCain again asserted that Sen. Obama has requested nearly a billion in earmarks. In fact, the Illinois senator requested $311 million last year, according to the Associated Press, and none this year. In comparison, Gov. Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.

But Gov. Palin's claim comes with a serious caveat. She endorsed the multimillion dollar project during her gubernatorial race in 2006. And while she did take part in stopping the project after it became a national scandal, she did not return the federal money. She just allocated it elsewhere.
From Prim's article.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

ANd here is an excerpt
But Gov. Palin's claim comes with a serious caveat. She endorsed the multimillion dollar project during her gubernatorial race in 2006. And while she did take part in stopping the project after it became a national scandal, she did not return the federal money. She just allocated it elsewhere.

"We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge," Gov. Palin said in August 2006, according to the local newspaper, "and not allow the spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that's so negative." The bridge would have linked Ketchikan to the airport on Gravina Island. Travelers from Ketchikan (pop. 7,500) now rely on ferries.
So we know

1) that Palin endorsed the Bridge To Nowhere when she first ran for governor just two years ago.

2) She did not take part in the political effort to stop the bridge.

3) She took the money and allocated it elsewhere.

Hal, please, how does Sarah Palin stand in front of America and say she was against the Bridge To Nowhere when this information from the Wall Street Journal shows just the opposite.

As you probably know, the WSJ is along time supporter of the Republican candidates and hardly a bastion of left wing journalism.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I think we know who the real liar is regarding the Bridge to Nowhere, after reading WSJ. :x

I don't like flat out liars in my government.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I do not want to engage in debating the smears with SF, because his claims about what Palin has stated or done are completely made up! Palin never claimed to have not supported the Bridge, she only claimed to end it. She never claimed to never want or accept earmarks, as a mayor, and that's a complete distortion of the position anyway.

If we're going to spend pages arguing over distorted and baseless views, then what's the point?

No one has explained to me how it's Ok for Obama to lie about his relationship with William Ayers, and how they wasted millions in his role as a "community organizer." Those are facts, and correcting distortions of Obama's. No explanation.

Why should I except the premise of absurd distortions, if no one will discuss facts with me?
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

the $311 million for Obama's earmarks is blatantly false:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/po ... html?fta=y

or a distortion, or something...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Despite significant evidence to the contrary, the McCain campaign continues to assert that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told the federal government "thanks but no thanks" to the now-famous bridge to an island in her home state.

The McCain campaign released a television advertisement Monday morning titled "Original Mavericks." The narrator of the 30-second spot boasts about the pair: "He fights pork-barrel spending. She stopped the Bridge to Nowhere."

Gov. Palin, who John McCain named as his running mate less than two weeks ago, quickly adopted a stump line bragging about her opposition to the pork-barrel project Sen. McCain routinely decries.
Someone should tell the Wall Street Journal that they're publishing distortions.

Hal, please provide a similarly plausible link to proof of any wrongdoing by Obama in connection with Ayers. You called me a liar; I won't do the same to you, but I will consider you deluded at best if you can't provide any proof of wrongdoing.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

halplm wrote:the $311 million for Obama's earmarks is blatantly false:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/po ... html?fta=y

or a distortion, or something...
No, you're distorting it, or misread it, or something. Bolding is mine, from your link.
Senator Barack Obama on Thursday released a list of $740 million in earmarked spending requests that he had made over the last three years, and his campaign challenged Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton to do the same.
Mr. Obama’s presidential campaign also said that only about $220 million worth of his requests had been approved by Congress.
I should also point out that the article is six months old, and that Obama has made zero earmark requests this year. So the comparison of $311 million vs. $750 million over the same span of time is accurate. I won't even get into the per capita comparison.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Hal, remember when you told me that you could not teach me to read?

I will not insult you in kind. I assume you can read. The article you linked to - your own article sir, says that the higher $750 mil figures is A THREE YEAR FIGURE. The $311 figures quoted by both Primula and Ellienor is a single year figure.

One year.Three years. Two very different things.

Nothing false. No distortion.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

the article was assertin the mcCain's claim of Obama requesting nearly a billion dollars was wrong, by quotin ga 311 million figure from one year, which is irrelevant.

As for Ayers, I'll refer you to Solicitr's links about it previously.

Look, I'm tired or arguing the same things that are irrelevant to Palin's candidacy. Everytime I bring up anything SF brings up his absurd list of things he's demanding are explained or refuted, and as I said, I'm not getting into his nonsense with him. If five of you are going to keep perpetuating it, and ignore anything else I say, i'll leave you all to your Palin bashing, and come back to gloat when McCain/Palin wins in november. it's not worth it, especially when I know I'm not changing anyone's mind.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Don't confuse you with facts hey Hal?

Last time I looked, winning or losing does not turn truth into lies or vice versa.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If you don't care to discuss facts or to make any effort to prove your assertions, Hal, then you're simply wasting everyone's time including your own. <shrug>
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Before anyone gets their hopes up on the ABC News interview with Sarah Palin this week, please read this from Talking Points Memo TPM.
Slow Slide Into Oblivion
09.08.08 -- 12:35AM By Josh Marshall
I spent most of the day today traveling and then giving a talk up at Union College a few hours north of New York City. So I was offline most of the day. And though I heard about Charlie Gibson bagging the first interview with Sarah Palin, I was eager to get home and read the details.

Well, now I've read them. And it's pretty clear this farce is going to be close to unwatchable. Set aside that this comes just on the heels of McCain campaign manager Rick Davis saying Palin would not sit for any interviews "until the point in time when she'll be treated with respect and deference." The tell comes high up in the AP story by David Bauder. The second graf reads ...

Palin will sit down for multiple interviews with Gibson in Alaska over two days, most likely Thursday and Friday, said McCain adviser Mark Salter.
Political interviews are never done like this. Because it makes the questioning entirely at the discretion of the person being interviewed and their handlers. The interviewer has to be on their best behavior, at least until the last of the 'multiple interviews' because otherwise the subsequent sittings just won't happen. For a political journalist to agree to such terms amounts to a form of self-gelding. The only interviews that are done this way are lifestyle and celebrity interviews. And it's pretty clear that that is what this will be.

Here's some more to inspire confidence ...

The interview is a coup for Gibson, who also had the only sit-down with McCain during the Republican National Convention. During that interview, he did not question McCain about Palin's family, a decision that he fretted about for hours, Gibson said in a Web log posted last week.
"Once you know about her daughter's pregnancy, once you know about her husband's political interest in the Alaska Independent Party, once you know about the special nature of their latest child, I think that's enough," Gibson wrote.

The relevant questions about Palin all related to her experience and policy positions as a mayor and governor of Alaska.

ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said he did not believe Gibson's stated stance about family questions was key to securing the interview.

It will be unwatchable.
Gibson is one strange journalist - if that is what you properly call him.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

at 5:39 a.m. PST, quoting an article, sf wrote:Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.
at 8:51 a.m. PST, Prim wrote:There's a lot of coverage of Palin's misstatements about earmarks and the bridge today, with new reports of 319 nights since becoming governor when she slept at home and charged the state per diem anyway
and
9:57 a.m. PST, vison wrote:Mrs. Palin claimed 312 per diems for days and nights at home.
This is just the kind of feeding frenzy that I was talking about. We've had four or five people hammering away at Palin, in some cases repeating the same exact information as if it is new information. I don't blame halplm for getting frustrated. I mostly agree with the criticim of Palin, and I still find it frustrating.

That having been said, no amount of frustration justifies accusing people of hatred or of lying.

I'm going to ask that everyone take a step back and look at their own posting before this thread blows up again.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I'm afraid that Hal is right, and we may just be watching the inauguration of McCain/Palin in January. There is a huge change in the polls regarding women's support for the ticket, towards McCain.

edit: cross post with Voronwë.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

That's the other reason I don't want to engage SF, VtF. I can post links to the refutions of his statements, and make the arguments against them (many of which I already have), and he will ignore them, and claim they haven't been adressed... repeating them over and over.

And I resent the implication that it's the "facts" that I'm not wanting to deal with. It is the deliberate distortion and ignoring of facts that I don't want to deal with.

I wanted to discuss the poll I posted earlier about McCain actually picking up a lot of votes from women, which everyone here, and every liberal tlaking head on the news has said repeatedly would never happen... no one even looked as far as I can tell.

One could argue that all of the attacks on Palin (and no, these are not issue discussions) should be separate from this thread, but it would be difficult to figure what goes where.

There was an Obama spokesman on tv just now that was spinning the per diem story as tax payers paying for Palin to stay at her own home. That is so blatantly absurd I don't even know how to respond to it. But it's not worth responding to here, because everyone here buys into that spin, and refuses to look at how per diem works for government employees, and how it is used throughout the country, for all government... and how staying at home, would actually SAVE money, vs staying at hotels and such. Again, I'll ask, why has no one detailed on this level how much tax payer money Obaman has wasted traveling and such, and staying in hotels, ect. etc...
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

from Hal
That's the other reason I don't want to engage SF, VtF. I can post links to the refutions of his statements, and make the arguments against them (many of which I already have), and he will ignore them, and claim they haven't been adressed... repeating them over and over.
If you can please then do it. I am very open to reading what you have to show us Hal. Very open.

If you refute these allegations with facts, and I ignore them, please blast me out of the water. You have my permission. Everyone here will serve as your witness.

But please Hal, if you can, then do.