Errata

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Errata

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[Note: I have the current list of errata up at the Comments and Errata page at http://www.arda-reconstructed.com. Please consult that page before listing any additional errata.]

Here's one: on p. 219, in the last sentence of the second paragraph, there is a missing "the": "he is referring, of course to [the] text included ... ."

Two more from a friend:

On p. 13 it says The Unfinished Tales when of course it should be just Unfinished Tales.

On p. 216, it says "as renown a Tolkien scholar as Shippey", when it ought to be "renowned".

He also mentioned that the abbreviation of LOTR is inconsistent with the other abbreviations such as HoMe, WotJ and PoMe in which the initials for prepositions, and articles and such remain lower-case, as they should. I'll fix that in the second edition. ;)
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

A more substantive bit of errata that I am reminded of in my discussion with solicitr. On pp. 35-36 and 253, talking about the "context" of the Akallabêth, I neglect to mention that in "The Line of Elros" Tolkien states that that work was written by Elendil (UT, pp. 224, 227 n. 16).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Hurin

Post by Hurin »

I found what appear to be two very minor errors with both of them being words which were omitted.

On page 25 in the last sentence of the first full paragraph I think the word "be" should be between "to" and "negligible".

And on page 112 isn't the word "the" omitted between "before" and "Noldor" in the first sentence of the second paragraph?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I noticed the same minor error on page 25, too.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Typos (or S&R errors) in Table 24:

The word "Silmarillion" is half italicized and half in plain text

The word "some" is rendered "SoMe", ie the std abb for HME IV The Shaping of Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, guys. soli, that error is in the word "Silmaril" not "Silmarillion" isn't it?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Yup. Erratum in my post. :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The irony, the irony... . :D

(Sorry, I'll quit making inconsequential posts in here now.)
Hurin

Post by Hurin »

Voronwë, I have noticed something else which may be a typo (or else I am misunderstanding the intent of the footnote in question). There is a footnote at the end of the second paragraph on page 193 after the sentence "Moreover, as we will see in a couple of chapters, Christopher greatly compressed the third of the Great Tales - the tale of the fall of Gondolin."

Then, when you go to the actual footnote on page 267, it says "See discussion of Tolkien's chapter 24." However, chapter 24 of the The Silmarillion is the chapter about Eärendil and the War of Wrath. Should this footnote be referring to Chapter 23 - the one about Tuor and the fall of Gondolin?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that's an error (and an unfortunate one, at that).
Voronwë the Faithful

I have the current list of errata up at the Comments and Errata page at http://www.arda-reconstructed.com. Please consult that page before listing any additional errata.

(55 items so far, three of which are substantial errors, including the footnote issue Húrin pointed out, and the Akallabêth issue that I mentioned.)
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë, maybe you could make that Web address into a link?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Ok.
Morlin

Errata

Post by Morlin »

I'm Andreth's mother.

The running title in your "Conclusions" chapter is misspelled on each page.

But I do like what I saw on a quick skim. What an enormous amount of work you did!
Voronwë the Faithful

Sure enough. Well, that is one that I can't take the blame for (other than not catching it), since I never created the running titles.

I'll be very interested to see your more substantive thoughts, once you have had an opportunity to read it more carefully.
Voronwë the Faithful

I just noticed a very strange printing error, that I missed in the proofs.

On page 67, in Table 5, the first line of Table 4 is repeated before the actual first line of Table 5 (so that it appears that there are two paragraph 1s in Chapter 4).

Phooey! :nana:
Voronwë the Faithful

Nancy Martsch from Beyond Bree writes regarding page 183, where I discuss the name "Dor Firn-i-Guinar" for the land of the dead that live, that that name must be taken from the Etymoligies, which includes the term "Dor firn i Guinar Land of the Dead that Live" under the entry for PHIR (Lost Road, pp. 381-2.)

She also wrote to point out the issue with "Calacirya" discussed earlier.
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought I had found a sourcing error in Table 20 (the table for Chap. 20 "Of the Fifth Battle"), in paragraph 31, but when I took a closer look, I realized that I had it exactly right.

Good to see.