Reviews

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

What a terrific and well-deserved honor! Good luck to you, and I do hope you will go.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

WOW!!!!!!

I wish you could go to Dallas for your moment in the limelight!

I know two of the finalists in the children's fantasy category, too, so I'm triply thrilled! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Wow!!! :D :D :D

There's still time for the fates to realign so that Dallas becomes your destination!

You know what this means, right? It means that autograph I bummed off you is now even MORE valuable for when I auction it off. ;)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Impy, did you ever check to see if the book that I sent you was already signed? Look on the black white page after the front cover. I'm sure that it must have been.

As for going to Dallas, there isn't much that would take precedence over that, but a commitment to my sweetie is and will always be my first priority. That's not even a hard question.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It is there. :oops:

On the fly-leaf. My excuse is that I had removed the dust jacket when I received the book so I could inspect and appreciate the hard cover (I always do this when I'm reading a book so the dust jacket doesn't get damaged during handling) and when I folded it back into place, I somehow folded the fly-leaf under the dust jacket, so the book opens directly onto the title page. So, the autograph was carefully hidden under the dust jacket.

Probably a good thing. Protects it. :)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's all good. Now you have two autographs. :) Luck you!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:As for going to Dallas, there isn't much that would take precedence over that, but a commitment to my sweetie is and will always be my first priority. That's not even a hard question.
Awwww. Sniffle.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I was gonna say (and in fact thought I had said:): That's what we sweeties wanna hear. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Take your sweetie with you! It's good for a sweetie to see her sweetie praised and honored by complete strangers. :D
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Congrats V!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

That is brilliant news, V-Man! :highfive:

Up against Planet Narnia! GO YOU!!!! 8)

*waves pom-poms* :cheerleader:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:As for going to Dallas, there isn't much that would take precedence over that, but a commitment to my sweetie is and will always be my first priority. That's not even a hard question.
:love:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful

WampusCat wrote:Take your sweetie with you! It's good for a sweetie to see her sweetie praised and honored by complete strangers. :D
She came with me last year to the Mythcon, but this year we have other plans that conflict that are particularly important to her.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
N.E. Brigand wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Another "not exactly a review" ... the Polish online magazine Ancalina has a long interview with me...
And a long excerpt from the interview, in English, has been published in the May 2010 issue of Beyond Bree, pp. 4-7. I predict this will lead to one or more letters in the June or July issues.
Ya think? ;)
Yes!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup. And in case you are wondering, no I don't plan to respond further.
Voronwë the Faithful

There is, apparently, a review of Arda Reconstructed in the last issue of Hither Shore, the journal of the German Tolkien Society. I don't know who the review is by, or what it is says, whether it is positive or negative, or even whether it is in German or English (since apparently the journal is split between the two languages. I've requested that they send me a copy of the review, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

The Table of Contents of the issue is here
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, if it's in German, you have friends you can ask for a translation. Not me; my German is very rough at best. I mean one of our friends who actually speaks it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I know. It's one of the benefits of being an international community. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

:bow:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I know who could do a Russian translation if need be...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I'll keep that in mind. There was the Polish interview, but that was done in English and then translated into Polish, so I didn't need to get that translated back. There was a Russian woman who listed my book on her blog as her favorite book of 2009, but that was in English. So far as I know, there hasn't been any Russian reviews or articles about it. Yet.