Book 1, Chapter XII - Flight To The Ford!!

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, you never know where these things might lead. I remember looking for some data about Faramir, and what should come up on Google but some post by someone I never heard of on some board I never visited, quoting my TORC post that I forgot about. Talk about a shock!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

I raise my hand to being one that follows the thread more than comments on the threads. Sometimes, what others write eclipses what I had originally thought and sometimes there is just nothing to add to the great comments and sometimes I just don't have anything else to offer, but still enjoy reading the thread.

Unless something else is related on this chapter, I don't have anything to add, but also I don't think there is a problem with waiting longer before moving on to the next chapter.

In other words I am ready when everyone else is.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's good that there are people who are interested in following the discussion. But unless people are also interested in participating in the discussion, and moving it forward, there won't be a discussion to follow. rwhen stepped up and started this thread; let's see if someone else decides to come forward and start the new thread, the first in book 2. It's taken us almost a year and a half to cover just book 1. That pace simply is not sustainable; it would take us almost nine years to discuss the full LOTR (perhaps more when the appendices are taken into consideration). I enjoy participating in the discussion, but I don't want to be the person who is constantly pushing it along whenever there is a lull.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

It's easy to forget how much of this chapter and the preceding consists of just travelling. And it really works well, both for verisimilitude and heightening the tension. Things like the attempt to negotiate the Trollshaws and the repeated worries about what will happen when they finally reach the Last Bridge do a lot heighten the tension of Frodo's wound and the danger of the Nazgûl. When Glorfindel finally shows up, it's a breath of fresh air, though of course things are far from over.

The description of Frodo slipping into the wraith world at Bruinen and trying to resist it is some excellent writing.