Book 1, Chapter 11: A Knife in the Dark

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Voronwë, I have never started one at this site, but read all the ones you did start and I will be happy to take a whack at it. I have my LotR's book right next to me at work now.

Why don't I wait until say Thursday and then make the new thread?

If everyone is okay with that?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:love: :hug: :love:

(Is that a clear enough answer?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Cryptic, Voronwë—very cryptic. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Well alrighty then. Tomorrow it shall be. And glad to make you two happy, but next time would you mind skywriting it for me, just so I am sure? :P

:hug: To you both.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And :hug: to you, rwhen. Though I doubt I will be able to participate in anything till July... with my teaching and research load....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
rwhen

Post by rwhen »

Thank you Mahima and right back attcha :hug: , though I hope you will join us as you can.

Okay starting new thread now...I was ready early, so sue me. :P
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The two explanations for the Witch-King's departure aren't necessarily exclusive of each other. If he were dismayed by Frodo's resistance and also expected the wound to do him in, the logical thing would be to back off for a while to watch and wait. When his dismay wore off (and/or the fear of Sauron was put back into him) and he realized there was a real possibility that Frodo would resist the shard long enough to reach Rivendell, the plan changed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I still like the explanation in the Russian apocrypha The Last Ringbearer. The Ring was just a trinker and the Nazgûl were sent to make it look important, to distract the powers of the West and make them fight over it. Any ill effects were psychosomatic.

The Elves were not the good guys in that version.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!