About the "LOTR Discussion" Forum

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

About the "LOTR Discussion" Forum

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We have embarked on an extended (likely years-long) chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's great The Lord of the Rings. Our hope is that this discussion will be as broad as possible, open to any kind of contribution, from the observations of a first time reader, to the most detailed and geeky analysis of those who have read the book dozens of times, as well as the drafts contained in the History of Middle-earth books, and/or scholarly works by the likes of Shippey and Flieger, et al.

Each chapter will have its own thread, designated by book and chapter number, and title. The current chapter will be stickied to keep it at the top of the forum, but comments on any previous chapter are welcome. There is no set timeline; we will move on to the following chapter when it appears appropriate to do so, without hurrying but also without letting the discussion stagnate. Rather than starting each chapter with a summary and/or a series of questions that one "discussion leader" poses to everyone else, our plan is to open up each chapter to discussion of whatever thoughts anyone wants to share, and let it proceed organically, with people responding to each other's comments and letting it build accordingly. The only "rule" is that the primary focus should be on the text of Tolkien's book.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

You've just awakened a strong nostalgia in me for the early days of the VTSG back on TORC, when The Silmarillion discussions were worthy of scholarly regard. :)

Hope this grows!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I hope so, too, my friend. Only time (probably lots of it) will tell.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."