Denethor Revisited

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, it was. I think, quite frankly, that it fell through the cracks.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You mean, like, they just forgot?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Yup. I think they had so much on their plate, and they tried to do so many things, that they just forgot to tie up that thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Possible. Or maybe they had to edit stuff out because of movie length.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

If that were the case, it would have almost certainly shown up in the Extended Edition, though.

I think they may have been afraid it would confuse the uninitiated to have yet another palantír around...even though the existence of others is alluded to. :scratch:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

From what I can remember John Noble stated that he never filmed a scene with palantír. There are a couple of references which are a sort of nod to the fans. From memory, I think the quotes about the eyes of the white tower not being blind, and the reference to flickering light from the topmost window are in there somewhere, but never explained.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

In terms of script and story, Denethor is probably my least favourite of PJ’s adapted characters. My real issue is the film Denethor is simply shallow with no apparent motivation beyond being crazy and evil. The line ‘your father loves you, Faramir, and he will remember it before the end’ really seems jarring for that reason, even though it works in the book.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I'm glad someone else spotted that mix of condescension and kindness that Noble brought out. It was a bright spot in an otherwise frustrating portrayal. I wish Noble and Mckellen had been given better stuff to work with.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lord_Morningstar wrote:In terms of script and story, Denethor is probably my least favourite of PJ’s adapted characters. My real issue is the film Denethor is simply shallow with no apparent motivation beyond being crazy and evil. The line ‘your father loves you, Faramir, and he will remember it before the end’ really seems jarring for that reason, even though it works in the book.
I always read it as him succumbing to overwhelming grief and despair upon learning of the loss of his favorite son. Works fine for me in that perspective. I adore Denethor's portrayal.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yovargas wrote:
Lord_Morningstar wrote:In terms of script and story, Denethor is probably my least favourite of PJ’s adapted characters. My real issue is the film Denethor is simply shallow with no apparent motivation beyond being crazy and evil. The line ‘your father loves you, Faramir, and he will remember it before the end’ really seems jarring for that reason, even though it works in the book.
I always read it as him succumbing to overwhelming grief and despair upon learning of the loss of his favorite son. Works fine for me in that perspective. I adore Denethor's portrayal.
For that particular line, yes - I can buy the explanation of grief. But for his ENTIRE portrayal?? Come on, yov.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The problem is that other characters (notably Théoden) lose children and don't go insane and start trying to kill off their remaining family. That's the part of an already weak and deranged man, which doesn't quite fit with the intelligent and forceful character we're actually shown. In the end, he just looks like he's being evil for the hell of it.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's been said before, but I'll say it again. Denethor's portrayal would have been so greatly improved by even a small, but specific, reference to the palantír. That would really help explain why he descended into madness.

Nonetheless, I am largely in yov's camp on this. I really do see the noble (yet arrogant) steward of Gondor falling into madness.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I thought John Noble's wig was really bad. REALLY bad. Especially in that scene in TTT's extended cut? Just... bad. It very much took me out of the moment, when I first saw it. Yikes.

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:I'm glad someone else spotted that mix of condescension and kindness that Noble brought out. It was a bright spot in an otherwise frustrating portrayal. I wish Noble and Mckellen had been given better stuff to work with.
I wish Noble had been given better stuff to work with, too!

My least favorite characters (who were supposed to be, at least nominally, "good" guys) in the book were Denethor and Boromir. They both seemed like vain, fallen, selfish men to me.

But in the book, for both of them, there were flashes of nobility that would come out, from time to time. I remember reading about Denethor's robes shifting and revealing a chain-mail undergarment of some sort; it was representative of the warrior he really was, underneath all the fluff.

In the movie, I thought PJ did a brilliant job fleshing out the character of Boromir, and allowing his viewers to see the nobility in that man, even when he had been weak and bullying. He did redeem himself, by protecting the hobbits, and that was extremely clear in the movie. I learned to like Boromir better after the movie, and I had a bit of sympathy for him. I no longer saw him as just a greedy, blustering bully.

Denethor had no such dimension built into his movie character. :( I really think he got short-changed in the movies, and John Noble could have completely nailed any meatier role that had been given him. We didn't get to see Denethor as anything but a bitter, twisted, merciless man.

And I think Tolkien's Denethor was quite a bit more than that.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I thought film Denethor's grief for Boromir was powerful and well played. But his dislike for Faramir was too one-dimensional; it kept me from believing or being moved by his reversal when Faramir is brought home dying.

And the death scene—I would have thought the way it's described in the book would have been chilling enough for PJ. The idea of the palantír, ever after, showing only two hands withering in flame—yikes!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Anthriel wrote:In the movie, I thought PJ did a brilliant job fleshing out the character of Boromir, and allowing his viewers to see the nobility in that man, even when he had been weak and bullying. He did redeem himself, by protecting the hobbits, and that was extremely clear in the movie. I learned to like Boromir better after the movie, and I had a bit of sympathy for him. I no longer saw him as just a greedy, blustering bully.

Denethor had no such dimension built into his movie character. :( I really think he got short-changed in the movies, and John Noble could have completely nailed any meatier role that had been given him. We didn't get to see Denethor as anything but a bitter, twisted, merciless man.

And I think Tolkien's Denethor was quite a bit more than that.
Yes, I am forced to agree with you, Anth, when you put it like that, with the direct comparison to Boromir. I think that Denethor suffered very much from PJ's attempts to do too much. Boromir was able to be fleshed out in FOTR, but there was room to flesh out Denethor in ROTK. Hence the limited portrain of him as, a bitter, twisted, merciless man.

You really had to be looking hard for it to find what glimpses of nobility they did show.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I agree that Boromir's death was hard on movie Denethor, and that Noble did a great job with that. It still seemed to be about Denethor, didn't it? Boromir's death and how it affected HIM. Noble was perfect.

I know that the squirting tomatoes scene was a little dramatic. (And how long WAS that meal, anyway? Those guys got suited up, passed through town, and were out on the fields charging the orcs, and Denethor is STILL eating). But it is a chilling scene, nonetheless. I love how the actual violence is merely implied. Genius.

I have a hard time believing that they just overlooked the palantír angle with Denethor... they almost would have had to cut that out on purpose. A real shame, that. It would have made all the rest make so much more sense.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Anthriel wrote:I know that the squirting tomatoes scene was a little dramatic. (And how long WAS that meal, anyway? Those guys got suited up, passed through town, and were out on the fields charging the orcs, and Denethor is STILL eating). But it is a chilling scene, nonetheless. I love how the actual violence is merely implied. Genius.
Well said. And Billy Boyd's song! Taking Tolkien's lighthearted walking song and turning it into such a powerful moment has got to be one of, if not the, most brilliant adaptations (or perhaps, "adoptations") in all the films.
I have a hard time believing that they just overlooked the palantír angle with Denethor... they almost would have had to cut that out on purpose. A real shame, that. It would have made all the rest make so much more sense.
That's one of the few things that makes me want to just take PJ and shake him over.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Do you want your coat held?
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Anthriel wrote:But in the book, for both of them, there were flashes of nobility that would come out, from time to time. I remember reading about Denethor's robes shifting and revealing a chain-mail undergarment of some sort; it was representative of the warrior he really was, underneath all the fluff.
i think that is actually kept in the film: you can see what appears to be armour under the robes in the Pyre scene.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It was kept in the film—I've been watching the extras on the treadmill, and Denethor's costume included the full suit of chain mail, which weighed a lot and was only seen once (Noble describes how when he took it off at the end of the day, he'd feel as if he were floating away).

However, nothing was made of it in a dramatic sense; I think it was one of PJ's gestures toward the book without really using the book. A more faithful death scene would have had time for it.

Though perhaps it's just as well. In the extras they explain the mail as a sign of Denethor's incredible vanity: that he thinks he is a warrior as good as his sons. When of course he would have been, in his time, exactly that.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”