The music of (adapted) LotR

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Aravar wrote:
TheTennisBallKid wrote:Shore's Shire music has a Celtic feel to it because of the folk instruments, yes...
No what I'm saying is nothing to do with the use of folk instruments, it is about the feeling that the music evokes. That's why I'm banging on about Elgar and Vaughn Williams.

I'm not familiar with the hymn you mentioned.
PearlyDi wrote:Aravar, have you heard the recording where Tolkien sings the Hymn to Elbereth in plainchant?
I haven't. Is it on one of his readings from the books?
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/i/tismyfw.htm

Since I play both the hymn and the Shire theme on my pennywhistle, I can attest to the fact that they start exactly the same. :)

I loved Shore's music, btw!

(I love Vaughan Williams as well. :love: I'm not as familiar with Elgar's works for me to say either way.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Umm, there was a lot more - and a lot better - music in the Trilogy than just the Shire theme. :)
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I agree with the Grand Hippo.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, yes, but I was just commenting on the point that the Shire theme and This Is My Father's World sound similar.

Some of my favorite music from LotR includes the Lighting of the Beacons and The White Rider.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

And I agree with Lali too. :D
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.