Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh out of "The Hobbit"

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

All this talk about other directors is just that - talk. No director with any kind of a track record is going to commit to a project in which the U.S. distribution rights are not clearly locked up. And there has been no talk at all of New Line and MGM reaching an agreement on that all-important issue since Shay and Jackson's public 'break-up'. It's so easy to forget the facts in the face of gossip and rumours.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Good point, Voronwë.

This is also giving a lot of time for fan opinion to solidify, and I would really be surprised if there wasn't a strong majority favoring PJ. Those who don't want him to direct the Hobbit probably didn't like the LotR films, either—they're not in the fanbase the studio is pursuing. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So PJ and Steven Spielberg are teaming up to direct and produce a trilogy of 3D animated films based on the Tintin books:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796 ... id=10&cs=1

Each will direct one of the first two; no word on who will direct the third. They're going to be filmed back-to-back; Weta Digital will be involved.

PJ's also going to be directing The Lovely Bones sometime soon, perhaps while Spielberg is busy with Indiana Jones IV.

Doesn't look good for a PJ Hobbit anytime soon. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:Good point, Voronwë.

This is also giving a lot of time for fan opinion to solidify, and I would really be surprised if there wasn't a strong majority favoring PJ. Those who don't want him to direct the Hobbit probably didn't like the LotR films, either—they're not in the fanbase the studio is pursuing. :P
I liked the LotR films, and I think PJ would do a good job on the Hobbit. But honestly, if he does not direct, I would not be too flustered.

I think that PJ was getting sloppy toward the end. ROTK is full of little gratuitous moments like the skull avalanche and the dismal Corsairs that add nothing to the experience but do seem like pure PJ.

A Hobbit movie would be a guaranteed success for Jackson, and it doesn't have the thematic weight of LotR. I'm concerned that he would go to town with the PJness, which is my least favorite part of the movies, while another director would have to work full out to earn favorable comparison to LotR. On the other hand, there are fewer deep moral elements and complex characters for PJ to (IMO) mess up. Meh. Color me neutral. :D

Is anybody going to skip The Hobbit if it's not directed by PJ? Honest question.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It would depend on who did direct. Peter Weir would probably do a marvelous job. On the other hand, I would far rather deal with PJness than Michael Bay–ness.

For me the bar has been set pretty high. I would stay away only if I heard the film was dreadful and did not respect Tolkien at all. But I would feel something had been lost if it was merely a competently made fantasy film when we could have had more.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think that PJ was getting sloppy toward the end. ROTK is full of little gratuitous moments like the skull avalanche and the dismal Corsairs that add nothing to the experience but do seem like pure PJ.

A Hobbit movie would be a guaranteed success for Jackson, and it doesn't have the thematic weight of LotR. I'm concerned that he would go to town with the PJness, which is my least favorite part of the movies
[pet-peeve]Why are those moments considered "PJness" and not moments like the Beacons or the Ride of Rohirrim or Pippin's song???
[/pet-peeve]
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Because we know that some of them at least were things that PJ wanted and got over the objections of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens and even the eyerolling of the production staff (the skull avalanche, the Witch King's preposterous mace). Of course he's responsible for the wonderful bits as well, but they are generally not "pure PJ." "Pure PJ" comes across in the extras as a mischievous kid sometimes, playing up the monsters and zombies because he can.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

yovargas wrote:[pet-peeve]Why are those moments considered "PJness" and not moments like the Beacons or the Ride of Rohirrim or Pippin's song???
[/pet-peeve]
:love:
Three of my four favorite moments! (The other was Frodo on the eagle.)

I feel sure I'll see "The Hobbit" no matter who directs. The amount of fretting beforehand and cursing afterwards would vary, however.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I was thiiiiiis close to putting Frodo on the eagle instead!! :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:[pet-peeve]Why are those moments considered "PJness" and not moments like the Beacons or the Ride of Rohirrim or Pippin's song???
[/pet-peeve]
[tangent]
That reminded of me of when a religious person (can't remember who :oops:) complained that insurance companies consider rainbows and flowers natural phenomena but hurricanes and earthquakes Acts of God.
[/tangent]

I'll grant you the Ride of the Rohirrim, though.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
TORN

Post by TORN »

[This comment isn't direct solely at the quoted comment but applies to many (but certainly not all) arguments about the quality of the films based on the extended edition --]

Of course, it might be a little unfair to judge him on scenes that weren't actually in the movie as released but only made it back because there was an appetite to see as much as possible of the story. I wonder how many makers of great movies left on the cutting room floors scenes that, had they been included in the movies that were seen by the public, would also have evoked belly-aches.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Excellent point, TORN.
TORN

Post by TORN »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<waves delightedly at TORN—twice in a week!>

I have to say it wouldn't break my heart if they didn't try to shoehorn Legolas in. I suppose a cameo sort of appearance, in the background, wouldn't be a big deal—or perhaps he could be singing "Tra-la-la-lally. . . ."

But that sort of appearance they could get him for, if and when and if he wanted to do it.

If Jackson's idea ever got carried out, I suppose we would have to expect to see many of the LotR characters at least toward the end of the "bridge" film. It could work.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I am curious about the bridge film? Is it mainly stuff from The Lost tales?? Is there any definite plan?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't think there has been any elaborated plan, Mahima—though I remember reading that it would be stuff from the LotR appendices. I don't think the studio has rights to anything but what's contained in the Hobbit and LotR, because that's all Tolkien sold and Christopher is not selling any further rights.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Most of what I've read talked about expanding the Hobbit storyline over two films and filling it out with White Council material, so it wouldn't be a "bridge" movie as such.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
TORN

Post by TORN »

Just saw Spiderman 3 -- YIKES!!! Don't let that director/writer anywhere near The Hobbit -- I really pretty much hated this film, although I pretty much enjoyed the first film and found the second mildly interesting.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sheesh, TORN, not much of a fanboy, are you? Over at Ain't It Cool News they are drooling over Raimi directing the Hobbit.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

From a TV Guide interview with Dominic Monaghan (found on a "Lost" message board):
TVGuide.com: What's next for you?
Monaghan: I'm doing a film in New York, I Sell the Dead. I play Arthur Blake, an 18th-century grave robber on death row who is confessing his sins to a priest hours before his death. ... And from there, I'm going to go to New Zealand to see [Lord of the Rings director] Pete Jackson and his family. He's got a couple of projects that are gonna be happening in 2008 that I'm really keen to find out about.

TVGuide.com: So you two may be collaborating again?
Monaghan: I hope so. It's all gonna be dependent on if there's a part in those projects for me. But he said there's some great opportunities, so that's gonna be a nice little gold mine to tap.
So what projects is he talking about? Any possibility there are hairy feet reappearing in Dominic's future?
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup