Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh out of "The Hobbit"

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Minor, probably meaningless tidbit:
Raimi Open to Helming Hobbit
Spidey director muses on the possibility.
by Stax

April 16, 2007 - While doing press for the forthcoming release of Spider-Man 3, director Sam Raimi addressed the rumors that he is in the running to direct The Hobbit for New Line Cinema since studio chief Bob Shaye has banned Lord of the Rings helmer Peter Jackson from tackling the highly anticipated project.

"Peter Jackson might be the best filmmaker on the planet right now. But, um, I don't know what's going to happen next for me right now," Raimi told Entertainment Weekly.

He continued, "First and foremost, those are Peter Jackson and Bob Shaye's films. If Peter didn't want to do it, and Bob wanted me to do it -- and they were both okay with me picking up the reins -- that would be great. I love the book. It's maybe a more kid-friendly story than the others."

Of course, helming The Hobbit might preclude Raimi from returning to direct Spider-Man 4. Spidey studio Sony seems to understand that. "Listen, we're making Spider-Man 4. Our hope, dream, and intention is to do it with Sam. But I don't have a crystal ball," Sony President of Production Matt Tolmach advised the mag.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Raimi has every right to consider this, and to take the job if it's offered to him. But how I hope it won't be. :(

I'm sure he'd make a perfectly decent Hobbit movie, but the one I want to see is PJ's.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's interesting that he seems to be implying that he would only do it if PJ gave his permission. Of course, it is likely that he is just being polite.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Too many tea leaves to read. Perhaps the rumors are being put around to gauge fan reaction to the idea. Or perhaps to put pressure on Jackson to cave in. Or perhaps Raimi is mentioning them so that he can turn down the job in a way that benefits PJ. Or so that he can accept the job and give people the impression, at least, that he sought and obtained PJ's blessing.

I should write soaps. :|
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Or maybe he meant what he said. :)

Shocking thought, I know.

;)
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:Or maybe he meant what he said. :)
)
Nah...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No . . . that can't possibly be it. :shock:

(I do think there's more going on than the article conveys. Any situation involving canny lawyers, publicists, and executives and the potential for billion-dollar profits is going to have more layers than that. As I tried to say in my post, though, there's no way to know. In fact, wasn't it the screenwriter William Goldman who said of Hollywood, "Nobody knows anything"?)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It may be Raimi's way of pressuring Sony on his terms for doing Spidey 4, too.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That in fact sounds quite likely to me.
TORN

Post by TORN »

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Any director coming after PJ will have my full sympathies. I'll prolly hate him too.

Though I think Stephen Sommers (The Mummy fame) would do a good job.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Mark my words (again). The Hobbit (and the other prequel movie) will be directed by Peter Jackson. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

(Although I do think that Peter Weir would do a darn good job.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, I was happy to see Peter Weir's name on that list—I think PJ would be, too. They seem to have similar ideas about Getting It Right, and Peter Weir is incredibly gifted.

But the whole thing was erased by the nausea that set in when I saw the name "Michael Bay."

I hope you're right, Voronwë. Bob Shaye is elderly and his time at New Line will not be forever.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

If Michael Bay is chosen to direct The Hobbit, fans should incite a no-holds-barred revolution against it.

:burned:
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

V is right. It will be PJ. Lots of drama, throwing the ball around, but it will be PJ.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Mark my words (again). The Hobbit (and the other prequel movie) will be directed by Peter Jackson. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Swami Voronwë has spoken. :bow:

I think the idea of two movies is silly, though. The Hobbit is a sliver of a book compared to LOTR, yet they only used 3 movies to tell the latter.
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Weir? Ooooo. Yes, please. (where's Di???)

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Only one movie would be the Hobbit, Tom. The other would (apparently) be a movie that bridges the Hobbit and LotR, using material from the appendices mostly.

I would be excited to see two such movies by PJ. And while I know Peter Weir would make good films, I'd be worried about how far he might have to go to reinvent what PJ's already invented. It would just be more fun to have five films that more or less matched.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Someone has already brought up Harry Potter movies, which, while directed by several people, retain the same look and feel.

But the Mummy director? :shock: :shock: :shock: The only redeeming feature about the Mummy movies was the casting of Oded Fehr.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That can happen, yes, but if PJ directed they could retain not just the "look and feel" but the services of a lot of people whose work helped make LotR what it was. I realize the new director would have access to all the costumes and sets that still exist, those being New Line property, but would he use them? Would he want to?

Would Ian McKellen return? That's important to me and probably to a lot of other fans of the original films.

New Line has to know that in bypassing PJ they would turn two expensive films that are as close to surefire hits as anyone ever gets into two expensive films that may or may not bring the fans back in—a much greater risk. The temptation would probably be to do them as cheaply as possible, which would only remove them even farther from what made the LotR films so popular.

No New Zealand locations, I would bet.