Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh out of "The Hobbit"

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh out of "The Hobbit"

Post by Alatar »

In an open letter to TheOneRing.net, PJ had this to say:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1163993546
Moments ago we received this email from Peter Jackson and his crew down in New Zealand, take a look...

Dear One Ringers,

As you know, there's been a lot of speculation about The Hobbit. We are often asked about when or if this film will ever be made. We have always responded that we would be very interested in making the film - if it were offered to us to make.

You may also be aware that Wingnut Films has bought a lawsuit against New Line, which resulted from an audit we undertook on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring. Our attitude with the lawsuit has always been that since it's largely based on differences of opinion about certain accounting practices, we would like an independent body - whether it be a judge, a jury, or a mediator, to look at the issues and make an unbiased ruling. We are happy to accept whatever that ruling is. In our minds, it's not much more complex than that and that's exactly why film contracts include right-to-audit clauses.

However, we have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved. This is simple common sense - you cannot be in a relationship with a film studio, making a complex, expensive movie and dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with the job, while an unresolved lawsuit exists.

We have also said that we do not want to tie settlement of the lawsuit to making a film of The Hobbit. In other words, we would have to agree to make The Hobbit as a condition of New Line settling our lawsuit. In our minds this is not the right reason to make a film and if a film of The Hobbit went ahead on this basis, it would be doomed. Deciding to make a movie should come from the heart - it's not a matter of business convenience. When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.

A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make much more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.

Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.

Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.

We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien's world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call from Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years.

This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.

We send our very best wishes to whomever has the privilege of making The Hobbit and look forward to seeing the film on the big screen.

Warmest regards to you all, and thanks for your incredible support over the years.

We got to go there - but not back again ...

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh
I thought this news was big enough to merit a new thread. Will the new director use Howard Shore? Weta? Who knows...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
eborr

Post by eborr »

Interesting that they are playing out the negotiations in public.

My guess is that MGM would be much happier if Jackson was helming the film than anyone else, and that the Jackson brand would be a big bonus in raising funding fo the movies.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I agree with eborr. :)

Well, I guess the PJ-bashers will be rubbing their hands in glee :P at the prospect of someone more 'puristy' than him being at the helm of The Hobbit. ;)

But I wouldn't bank on a more purist adaptation than PJ's, guys and gals. Not if MGM's biggest concern is Teh Moneys. Just sayin'. 8)

Personally I shall miss PJ at the helm. :( And here's why:
When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.
That's why I love his LOTR, despite all the liberties it takes with canon, because it was such a passionate project of the heart from the get-go. :)

And yet ... it would be fascinating to see another director have a stab at The Hobbit.

Somebody really daring and original :) ... is MGM brave enough??????

Personally I'd love to see Peter Weir tackle Tolkien ... he is one of my favourite directors in the world, I love all of his films. And Weir can do Epic. :) We know that, from his gorgeous Master and Commander. :)

Well, whoever directs The Hobbit, I want them to have the same passion as PJ did. We don't want a Hobbit made by Committee, do we now, precious? :x
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Rats. :(

I'd like to see Peter Weir's Hobbit, too, Di, if we can't have PJ's. Though it might be even harder on the purists; Master and Commander is a wonderful film, but it is also definitely a "transcendentalist" adaptation (to use Voronwë's term).

Rats.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

As I said on b77: Image
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Wow - thanks for posting this, Alatar!
That's big news indeed, I think. Amazing that PJ wrote in such detail to TORN. But I think it's better than to have more rumour and speculation about something that's now out once and for all.

Not being the biggest fan of PJ, I'm neither rubbing my hands nor am I disappointed. It all depends on who gets to make The Hobbit now.
I'm thinking of how much "Harry Potter" profited from a change in directors.
Peter Weir would be awesome! :D

(Still wondering what that other "prequel" will be about, then - tales from the Sil probably? The early story of Sauron? While looking for pics for my MoME Sauron I saw a shot of Sauron as Annatar, so I could imagine that this would be the topic.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Hmmm....

Someone like Weir would be interesting, but while I can see LOTR being appealing, The Hobbit, as a prequel set in a world already created onscreen by someone else, I can't see as being quite so interesting....

Of course it depends on who they get to helm it (if it gets made at all...), but you have to wonder how many of the actors would still be interested in coming back if PJ isn't directing...not to mention Shore.

Given the fanbase, PJ's Hobbit would almost certainly be more profitable than anyone else's...

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
kams

Post by kams »

It's sad that one multi-gag-zillionaire and another multi-gag-zillionaire are arguing over millions. It's like arguing for more food with your mouth full.

The fans lose on this one, big time.
Last edited by kams on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Sounds like a negotiating position to me, but then I'm a cynical lawyer.
TORN

Post by TORN »

:x :x :x

but (not to hold out false hope) this may not be the last word as, I suspect (but have not researched to see if I'm correct), MGM's rights to in the Hobbit probably do not expire at the same time as New Line's since (I believe) they were derived through a different course of dealing. So, if MGM wants PJ, I believe all it has to do is wait a little while, then they can deal with Saul Zantz directly . . . of course, I also may have my facts completely wrong.

:x :x :x
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Sounds like a negotiating position to me
What's a negotiating position, preciousss?
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For all my quibbles with PJ's LOTR, I'm disappointed. I thought he was the right kind of director for the Hobbit, which is not nearly as rich in profound themes that appeared to be too deep for PJ to handle in LOTR. He could go to town with that movie and still make it good.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm cynical enough to agree with Aravar. We'll see how this plays out, I guess.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It smacks very much of the sort of thing one would say if one wanted to tell New Line one wasn't interested in playing by their rules any more, not to mention winning a verdict in the court of fan opinion. PJ is either very clever in this area or has very clever lawyers, or both. Anyone New Line/MGM hires now will very clearly be doing it because they couldn't get PJ, which is to say, because of New Line's legal intransigence.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I guess this could be a ploy. I hope so, and that it works. It certainly tars whatever film New Line makes as "not what it could have been," as far as many fans are concerned. And the fans are what made the LotR films the blockbusters they were—they didn't open huge and drop off to nothing in three weeks like most blockbusters; they opened big, but then trailed on and on and on because of repeat viewings by fans. I saw FotR for the last time in a theater the August after its December opening, and the theater's 150 or so seats were almost all full.

They know they can't afford to make the fans angry.

And . . . no PJ might well mean no Weta, no Howard Shore. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Posting this here instead of the score thread because it's more related to this...
Doug Adams wrote:Hi everyone,

I’m sorry for my long absence. Between TTT and ROTK some family/personal business came up which took my attention of the boards for a while. From the looks of things, I missed a lot!

I’ll be back for a more thorough update later, but thought I’d offer the following thoughts in the meantime:

1) None of the hubbub regarding The Hobbit has any bearing on the status of ROTK:CR. The Jackson / Newline lawsuit has been brewing for some time, since well before TTT was in production. Neither the Complete Recordings (nor the Music of LOTR book, for that matter) will be touched by any of this.

2) I think that we would do well to remember the Gary Oldman / Harry Potter fuss from earlier this year. Oldman announced to the press that he would not be involved with Harry Potter 5, because contract negotiations were not to his liking. Long story short, check the cast list—Oldman’s in the film. Was it a bargaining measure? Trying to drive up the fan furor? I honestly don’t know. I’m not speaking from any sort of inside information, in either the Potter or Hobbit situations. This is speculation in its purest form, but I think it’s worth bearing in mind right now.

3) Finally, I also think it’s interesting to note while Howard Shore is certainly on good terms with Peter Jackson, he’s also on quite good terms with New Line. None of what happened on LOTR could have happened without the support of music execs such as the indispensable Paul Broucek. I know the studio is perceived as being shellacked with a thick coating of corporate greed right now, but remember that many of these people nurtured Shore’s work through the project and ensured that it was cared for properly in its formative stages. I don’t know all the New Line execs, so I’m not going to say they’re all either this or that… but there are some good guys in there. Like anything else in the world, it’s shades of grey. Anyway, these are nothing more than speculative comments, I’m not hinting any inside info. But one should bear in mind that Shore’s association with these projects was not exclusive to a single filmmaker. I’m not saying that to belittle the frustration that everyone’s feeling, simply to add a little more hope to the mix. Nothing’s done until it’s done.

I’ll be back later, if any one’s up for TTT or ROTK questions.

Best,

-Doug

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

This news sucks :( I mean I don't agree with everything PJ did but I doubt the news crew will be more faithful that PJ :(
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I guess my feelings on this run along the lines of Hobby's. I'm no huge Peter Jackson fan, but I was very interested to see him make this film. As Prim suggests, I'll be more disappointed if WETA, Alan Lee, et al aren't involved making The Hobbit. My guess is that out of loyalty to Jackson they would not make the film.

Still, I'm open-minded enough to admit that there are others in the movie-making world who could do as fine a job or better than Peter Jackson. I really won't miss his brand of low-brow humor. :|
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Looks like there's more news on this issue at TORn today. MGM has not discounted Jackson's participation, so the final word isn't in on that. More importantly, at least in my mind, is that WETA seems more than willing to do the film even without Jackson:
Weta keen to return to Middle-earth

The severing of ties between PJ and New Line did not mean Weta was automatically barred from doing The Hobbit, according to Weta chief Richard Taylor. "Peter would not impress that on us," Taylor said, adding that he did not know much about the Hobbit project yet and had not had a chance to talk to Peter.
Taylor said he wasn't aware that negotiations between Peter and New Line to film The Hobbit had gone as far as they had. "I was only aware they had gone as far as they had by reading today's article."

"We're hopeful that we may be invited to work on The Hobbit. There's nothing more that we would like to do in our careers."

Taylor said that Peter would "celebrate" if Weta got that opportunity.
eborr

Post by eborr »

truehobbit wrote:
Sounds like a negotiating position to me
What's a negotiating position, preciousss?
missionary whilst claiming a headache
eborr

Post by eborr »

I wouldn't claim to know all the negotiating tricks, but in the world of commerce principle and position count for very little. Not sure who the shareholders in New Line are, but it they screw up the opportunity to make the Hobbit with the same winning crew as delivered LOTR then Ordersky et al will be looking for new jobs.

New line are over a barrel on this one - if they are instransigent, and MGM decided to sweat it out, Zaenzt I guess will go back to them for a deal, Jackson will make the movies for MGM and New Line will get nothing.

Jackson is in a much stronger position to play hardball than New Line, he probably doesn't need to work again