Lord of the Rings by George Lucas

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Lord of the Rings by George Lucas

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Oh, that is great!!

I'm very thankful Lucas didn't do LotR, for the record ;).
But if he did, we might have seen Aragorn with a lightsaber :)

This one is also funny, but language warning.

It's just some guy kibbitzing while the movie plays in the background, but he's funnier than most of the people I've watched the movies with :)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Gee, they were really putting down George Lucas. At the same time, if you read between the lines a little, it seemed like they were also taking shots at Peter Jackson.

Thanks for sharing, Brian. :)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

It's over the top, but those are the standard fan complaints about Lucas - that he does everything by computers, throws out the stuff the fans love, and inserts hated ideas like 9-year-old Anakin and Jar-Jar.

I did not see it as PJ-bashing at all, really...though I guess fans have complained about what he did to the story as well.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Loved it.
:rofl:
Thanx.
Dig deeper.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

So it looks like Lucas will have another opportunity to work his magic at making money:

'Star Wars' creator readies 'Clone Wars'
It basically has all the main characters" such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lucas said, but the stars who played them in the movies won't voice them for the TV show.

"There's nobody famous," Lucas told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yeah, those actor types are all interchangeable anyway.

Or I suppose in time they'll be able to simply synthesize the desired voice, and paste it on top of another actor providing intonation and emphasis.

This is something I think PJ got absolutely right—he put his actors in real settings insofar as possible, with clothing and weapons and equipment that felt real to the actors—and even more important, they acted together whenever it could possibly be managed.

Lucas cast some very fine actors who gave the flattest performances of their careers, and I think that's owing to the amount of time they spent standing alone in front of a green screen instead of, say, squelching through real mud with their real colleagues.

And I say this as someone whose life was changed by Star Wars and who still loves the story and most or all of most of the films.[/i]
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Thanks for posting that, Brian! :rofl:

I'm really grateful that Lucas didn't do the LOTR... :shock:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

It would have been a much different movie.

Can you imagine the Mearas as a speeder bikes??
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I did not see it as PJ-bashing at all, really...though I guess fans have complained about what he did to the story as well.
Mith you spent how many years on TORC? You fans have complained? :rofl: :P
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Hey, I knew that was an understatement ;). I was one of the fans who complained, after all :P. But this was clearly a spoof of the documentaries that came with the DVD release of the original trilogy, so...I figured it was safe to say it was Lucas-bashing.