The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They'll fill in as many female bit parts as they can, I suspect, eborr, and hope the overall effect is more balanced than the reality. Of course they can't have a female Bilbo (I know you weren't serious), he being male in LotR and all.

I don't know that female Dwarves will really fill the bill for female eye candy (it's the beards). :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

"eye candy" and "dwarves" are not generally synonymous, no.

But with PJ, I expect many women with young children to be crying while Laketown burns to the...water.

We can also have female elves in Rivendell and Mirkwood. And female hobbits when he gets home, but that wouldn't be terribly important or interesting.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sez you.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

:kiss:

Hey, you know I like hobbits! But if Hollywood is going to say "you must have more females on screen," they aren't going to sign off on anything that just throws some women in at the tail end.

Maybe they can make Smaug female

A girl dragon

=:)
eborr

Post by eborr »

I have picked up an a recent rumour as to how MGM/NL are planning to address the problem.

They have decided to "enhance " a favourite and much beloved character to create Beyonce Bearwoman.

And I quote

" Keeping within the spirit of the Oxfordian Professor - a strong woman who will resonate both with the young and those more chronologically challenged - We imaging a young woman who can shape-shift into an enthralling costume, that will recall both Mystique and Chewbacca, she will be beautiful, independant and kick -butt"
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

:P to Eborr. :D

But, I could easily see, for example, a younger Lobelia in the Shire scenes, already being her greedy self... And, of course, elves and Laketown civilians.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

tries to imagine a cross between Mystique and Chewbacca :suspicious:
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

eborr wrote:They have decided to "enhance " a favourite and much beloved character to create Beyonce Bearwoman...
She sounds hawt! :P