The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It looks like we all missed this (or at least no one else posted about it), but apparently there were numerous reports last Monday that TORN had received the following note from MGM's publicist, saying:
"Peter Jackson's phenomenal success with The Lord of the Rings trilogy makes him the first and most ideal choice for directing The Hobbit," said MGM. "MGM would be thrilled to collaborate with the Academy Award-winning director on this MGM New Line Cinema production. And, I'm sure to the delight of the 50,000 filmgoers who have petitioned us in recent weeks, demanding we bring this film to fruition, we have had a few initial conversations about the project with Mr. Jackson's representatives."
For whatever it is worth.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

I wouldn't mind if PJ tackled The Hobbit (since I am not particularly attatched to it :blackeye: ) but I really, really don't want him anywhere near The Children of Húrin or any part of the Silmarillion.

Contemplating what he would do with Glaurung alone is enough to set my teeth on edge. :x And then there are all of those battles ....

However: Weta and Ngila Dickson will do admirably for costumes and sets.

:D
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I think making a movie version of the Hobbit might be a pretty good idea. Its not as complex as The Lord of the Rings and as long as they don't mess around too much I think it would be pretty cool. It might even rekindle th whole lord of the rings craze of the early 2000s maybe...
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Oh but he would make it complex. He would have the Battle of Five Armies last 45 minutes. He would drag a love storyline into.
I don't hate his previous movies but they were so up and down. So uneven.
Another director would be ok by me.
Voronwë the Faithful

I certainly see where you are coming from, Sassy. But I can't imagine that even PJ could be so dense as to insert inappropriate humour into something as serious as The Children of Húrin. And I think that Philippa Boyens would do a good job with the script.

Meanwhile, taking another look at that text that I posted before, not only does it indicate that preliminary talks with PJ have begun, it also seems to clarify that MGM and New Line HAVE reached an agreement on their legal issues, since it specifically calls it "this MGM New Line Cinema production".

So it is looking more and more real.

And Sassy, can I say how thrilled I am to see you posting in this forum!!!!!!1111

[Edit: Cross-posted with superwizard and Holby.]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Holbytla wrote:Oh but he would make it complex. He would have the Battle of Five Armies last 45 minutes. He would drag a love storyline into.
I honestly don't think he can really make a love story in the Hobbit. Unless he introduces a brand new character who is it going to be?? :scratch:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

He could create early relationshipy stuff for A&A. I think I'd enjoy that, personally.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I predict an illicit love affair between Bilbo and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. =:)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And lots of short, hairy women.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"FRODO . . . I . . . AM YOUR FATHER. . . ."

Er, no.

I agree that early Aragorn and Arwen would be fair game. But additions like that, if they fit the timeline and help meld the story to LotR, don't upset me a bit. I think The Hobbit could use a little more substance, assuming they're making a three-hour film (as I'm sure they would if PJ is involved).

I was going to say that perhaps the fact that The Hobbit is a book largely for children would keep PJ from including body-function humor, but then I remembered this is the twenty-first century and kids' movies are full of that.

<wanders off to continue reading her Georgette Heyer novel>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

From Variety, by way of TORN (the site). There's a little new information, I think.
From Variety
By NICOLE LAPORTE

MGM's recent announcement that it intended to release "The Hobbit" and, hopefully, get Peter Jackson to direct it, caused major buzz in Hollywood.

It also caused a frenzy among Jackson fans, who have been lobbying via petition on the fansite TheOneRing.net for Jackson to tackle the "Lord of the Rings" prequel ASAP. The petition tallied nearly 50,000 signatures and was submitted to MGM and New Line, which share film rights to "The Hobbit." (MGM owns distribution rights; New Line owns the rights to actually make the movie.)

Reflecting just how important Jackson's online fan base was to the success of the "LOTR" pics, MGM chief operating officer Rick Sands responded to the petition, saying: "MGM would be thrilled to collaborate with the Academy-Award winning director on this MGM/New Line Cinema production. And, I'm sure to the delight of the 50,000 filmgoers who have petitioned us in recent weeks, demanding we bring this film to fruition, we have had a few initial conversations about the project with Mr. Jackson's representatives."

Ken Kamins, who manages Jackson, would not comment on the matter. But people close to Jackson say it's not likely the director will turn to "The Hobbit" anytime soon -- at least not until the lawsuit between Jackson and New Line over "Lord of the Rings" revenues is settled.

Jackson's suit claims he's still owed money from the trilogy, including revenues from distribution deals abroad. Sorting through the various overseas deals and payments is a complex matter, however, and no damage amount is specified.

But considering the "LOTR" trilogy grossed close to $3 billion worldwide in ticket sales alone, shouldn't New Line be working a little harder to make peace with Jackson? After all, Time Warner stockholders would no doubt be tickled to hear that an "LOTR"-type film was in the works, with the potential for LOTR-type grosses.

In the meantime, Jackson is busy with a number of other projects. He's working on the script for "The Lovely Bones," based on the novel by Alice Sebold, which will be his next directing gig. He's also exec producing Universal's "Halo" and producing U's "Dambusters," and just acquired rights to a trilogy of fantasy novels by Naomi Novik about a Napoleon-era ship's captain and a heroic dragon named Temeraire. The multi-hyphenate is also launching a videogame studio with Microsoft.

Frodo fans will just have to sit tight.
I imagine PJ's trying to give New Line a good reason to settle the lawsuit so they can start making plans.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Sassafras wrote:However: Weta and Ngila Dickson will do admirably for costumes and sets.
:D
Agreed. But will Ngila want to work with him again? As Judy of AlleyCatScratch pointed out, Ngila was none-too-pleased with all the effort she put into costumes that were not used on screen (Arwen's cranberry dress is a good example - we see the edge of the trim in the "kiss Aragorn in the river" scene). Apparently, Ngila seemed rather annoyed on the EEs (I haven't seen that yet).

So, she may not agree to work on the Hobbit at all. We'll see.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I hadn't heard that she was annoyed (and I've seen the EE extras). I suppose it would be frustrating, though, with the amount of work that went into those costumes, that some of them didn't get onto the screen.

On the other hand, she is "Academy Award–winning costume designer Ngila Dickinson" for the rest of her life because she put up with it. That's got to count for something. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

I've watched all the EE extras. I think there was very mild irritation expressed at one point, but that was balanced by tremendous enthusiasm overall. I would be shocked if Ngila passed up the opportunity to work on The Hobbit.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I would be shocked if Ngila passed up the opportunity to work on The Hobbit.
She'd be completely DAFT if she passed up the opportunity to work on The Hobbit! :D

She rocks my world. :love:

I can cope with a PJ-directed Hobbit, as long as it's a much better movie than the disappointing King Kong. I really wish PJ would rein in his self-indulgent tendencies.

Like Sassy - *waves at Sassy* - I am not as attached to The Hobbit as I am to LOTR. I will therefore put up with a great deal of artistic license when it comes to the material, a great deal. And actually I do trust PJ more with this than I would other directors (except, maybe, Cuaron, that guy who directed the third Harry Potter movie, or even Mike Newell, who directed Goblet of Fire). But this material has been part of PJ's life for so long. He has the potential to do it great justice. :)

I said: POTENTIAL. :D

Ooooh, just think. We could have an awesome Thorin Oakenshield, a fabulous Smaug and a hunky Bard. We could have an expanded Arwen and Aragorn section. We could have a fabulous Battle of the Five Armies. We could have Legolas and his dad. The spiders!!! The genesis of Bilbo's feud with the Sackville-Bagginses. Riddles in the dark ... oh, and the White Council!!!!!!

Wow. So much there.

And colour me hopelessly sappy, but PJ could even give me a glimpse of Young!Frodo. I mean ... maybe Bilbo could be telling the story in retrospect to Young!Fro.

*am such a hopeless sap* :help:

But please, PJ, no fart jokes, for the love of Eru. :x

Gosh. I feel quite excited about this now. I've always been a bit neutral about the Hobbit movie. A bit: 'well, we've had LOTR, so big deal.' But now I can see what a truly fabulous movie this could be.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

TORC added a Hobbit Movie Forum today. *blows dust off M00bies*

And did I post a score thread almost instantly? Maybe... :whistle:

ttbk
Voronwë the Faithful

And is it the only thread in the forum, other then Jonathan's welcome thread? Maybe ...
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Check again :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Me thinks he did. :whistle:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I left four posts in the new Hobbit forum at TORC, having sworn never but NEVER to post in M00bies again. :P

I have no discipline. =:)

But there's no way I am going to get involved in the speculation to the degree that I did in that golden pre-LOTR movie period.

Six years obsession is quite enough, oy. :suspicious:

No, really, I mean it. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal