The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Mith, you're right! I didn't even think of the fact that the fate of those "other writings" lie in CT's hands. A bit problematic, I would think for such meanderings in the tale, but still.....since they are most certainly referenced in The Hobbit, I think there would be a "safe line" to walk for the script writers that would retain the essential elements of the backstory without straying too far...............hopefully.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

PJ wrote:That way, it starts feeling more like The Lord of the Rings and less like this kids book. You could even get into Gollum's sneaking into Mordor and Aragorn protecting The Shire. That's what we'd do. Love to work with Viggo again.
Those are fab ideas but isn't Aragorn supposed to be a bit young to be protecting The Shire? :scratch:

And I like the kid's book. :P
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Book-chronology, Aragorn is about 10 years old.
Bilbo goes on his adventure at age 50; his 111th bday launches LotR, and 17 years later, we meet an 87-year-old Aragorn.

Movie-chronology, he'd be closer to 27 years old.
Bilbo's adventure and 111th b-day are the same, but no 17 year gap for Frodo to grow up. Aragorn is still 88 in TTT:EE.

PJ could do what he wants with that, of course - there is flexibility. 10-yr-old Aragorn should be in Rivendell. 27-yr-old Aragorn should be off playing Thorongil in Rohan, I think. At least off on a journey somewhere, but he could meet Gandalf somewhere in there.

PJ was only thinking of 2 movies, because that's what MGM said. But chances are, it will only be one movie (and a 2-2.5 hour one, at that) if this ever happens. The player we have not heard a peep from yet is New Line, and it has always been their call. Until they speak up, this isn't for real.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I hope it is for real. I know it will only cause more anguish for those who can't stomach PJ's approach, but I mostly can, and I would love to see more Tolkien brought to the screen with that degree of detail and craftsmanship. (And more of McKellen as Gandalf!)

And who knows? Perhaps PJ might possibly redeem himself a little. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I hope its for real too. And I hope its one movie. Hobbit stretched to two movies...... no... I don't think so. It would be impossible to pack enough action to get non-tolkien-book-lovers-but-movie-buffs into the halls.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

And I'm sure all of us are eager to see Arwen accompany the dwarves and replace Bard as the dragon killer.

;)
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Incorrect. That job goes to Leggy.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Oh, but wouldn't it be more fun to speculate about Arwen?

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Maybe Arwen and Leggy will have a dragon killing contest!

"I've got 17 already!"
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Can't we allow ourselves to hope just a little?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I thought I was.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:salmon:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Maybe Arwen will jilt Aragorn and take up with another elf, namely our sweetie-pie Legolas?

Then, Aragorn could challenge Legsie to a duel or maybe a contest of some kind (many possibilities here, too numerous to mention) and win her back?

See? I can write this stuff myself. :D
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Maybe Arwen will be torn romantically between the dashing Dúnedain and a tall, handsome elf until she discovers to her shock that Elladan is ... her brother! So it took her a few hundred years to figure it out...

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Who needs Tolkien when you got vison? 8)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe Arwen will be torn romantically between the dashing Dúnedain and a tall, handsome elf until she discovers to her shock that Elladan is ... her brother! So it took her a few hundred years to figure it out...
And that the Necromancer is their father! :shock:
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It practically writes itself!

Oscar for screenwriting, my maiden aunt!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I always knew it. :D
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
And that the Necromancer is their father! :shock:
:rofl:

Bravo! This is so original!

Somewhat seriously - I'm thinking the best way to untangle the convoluted legal mess and make that movie happen was to announce it as if it were a done deal. Now instead of twiddling their thumbs and talking about "some day", all parties seem to have accepted that the deal is done and are actively looking for ways to make it happen.

Optimistically yours.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Very optimistic, Frelga....but "all parties" includes New Line. Has anyone heard from them yet?

It just occured to me that movie-Aragorn and movie-Legolas are old friends. So, that could be worked in somehow...